• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a public library

Harry25

Just had a quick question...

The way I understand it, I am legally allowed to carry in a public library, because MCL 123.1102 prevents a city from restricting carry, and because its not on the list of PFZs.

Am I correct?

-Harry

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk..

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Just had a quick question...

The way I understand it, I am legally allowed to carry in a public library, because MCL 123.1102 prevents a city from restricting carry, and because its not on the list of PFZs.

Am I correct?

-Harry

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk..
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ist-your-open-carry-experiences-here./page377 see post 5723

Yes you are correct. The link above is about a MOC member being asked to leave the downtown Lansing library. MOC, Inc. is addressing it.

TheQ

You are correct. This does not mean you won't get hassled as lil_freak did recently. See his recent post in the stickied "list your open carry experience" thread.

lil_freak_66

Yes preemption makes a public library unable to legally make you leave due to lawfully carrying a firearm.

but,just like cities,occasionally you will find one trying to squirm around preemption one way or another,but they always get corrected sooner or later.

Michigander

You are generally correct, however remember that state law could theoretically come into play beyond the scope of simple city or county interference. For example, a library could be in the same building as a court house which would prohibit all carry, or it could be operated by a k-12 school system, requiring CPL holder OC. Lastly, it could be a college library, and the community colleges act (state law, not subject to preemption or any other laws, including the constitution apparently) grants colleges nearly unbounded authority to do whatever the hell they want, and it seems all prohibit weapons unless it's for their kop skools or their own kops. No matter what, always, always ask yourself if you are certain that you are within your rights to OC.

sasha601

You are generally correct, however remember that state law could theoretically come into play beyond the scope of simple city or county interference. For example, a library could be in the same building as a court house which would prohibit all carry, or it could be operated by a k-12 school system, requiring CPL holder OC. Lastly, it could be a college library, and the community colleges act (state law, not subject to preemption or any other laws, including the constitution apparently) grants colleges nearly unbounded authority to do whatever the hell they want, and it seems all prohibit weapons unless it's for their kop skools or their own kops. No matter what, always, always ask yourself if you are certain that you are within your rights to OC.

Please correct me if i am wrong: In order for OC be prohibited in Court or building where Court is housed, there should be a sign posted at the entrance with very specific language dictated by the Court Order. And, the way this order is written, if such sign is not there then legally OC is ok.

TheQ

Please correct me if i am wrong: In order for OC be prohibited in Court or building where Court is housed, there should be a sign posted at the entrance with very specific language dictated by the Court Order. And, the way this order is written, if such sign is not there then legally OC is ok.

That's my understanding.

No weapons allowed by order of the court. Persons entering are subject to search.

...or the like.

sprinklerguy28

lil_freak_66 was kicked out of the library for OCing a shotgun. He intentionally misled everyone here on OCDO and within MOC.

Haman J.T.

lil_freak_66 was kicked out of the library for OCing a shotgun. He intentionally misled everyone here on OCDO and within MOC.
Whats misleading about OCing as he stated.I remember the same treatment of those with holstered handguns before any of you thought about it.Someone has to stand up for our rights.Toss out all PC ideas and fears,our lives depend on those who are willing to fight and die for our rights!

emt232004

MOC leadership is handling this situation, long gun discussions can be posted on MOC's website's long gun thread.

Yes they are handling it by moving the post to the member section where you have to pay to post and view. Gives new meaning to their "nothing to hide" catch phrase

emt232004

When a topic relates specifically to a members conduct we prefer to discuss that among the other members. Not the public at large.

So if I was to pay for a membership to support MOC anything that I oc on my own time would have to be discussed among other members and not with the public at large just because I had shown my support and was legally carrying a firearm.

I have not been around long but as someone new this is not the first thing I have seen them move to a members only section it does not look good to the public on their part from my point of view.

autosurgeon

So if I was to pay for a membership to support MOC anything that I oc on my own time would have to be discussed among other members and not with the public at large just because I had shown my support and was legally carrying a firearm.

I have not been around long but as someone new this is not the first thing I have seen them move to a members only section it does not look good to the public on their part from my point of view.

Read my response on the MOC forum... it may help you understand what we chose to do. Also the leadership reserves the right delete or move any post or thread for any reason at any time on the MOC forums.

Haman J.T.

This certainly isn't an MOC forum.I remember someone OCing an AR near an Obama rally.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yes they are handling it by moving the post to the member section where you have to pay to post and view. Gives new meaning to their "nothing to hide" catch phrase
What I meant was that the MOC forum has a thread on long gun OC for discussion, whereas OCDO doesn't want any discussing on long gun OC. that's all.

And there are certain things discussed in the members only forum...so do many other orgs. If you want in just join.