• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a public library

NHCGRPR45

Yes they are handling it by moving the post to the member section where you have to pay to post and view. Gives new meaning to their "nothing to hide" catch phrase

Welcome to OCDO!

When a topic relates specifically to a members conduct we prefer to discuss that among the other members. Not the public at large.

agreed.

jfrenchudm

I just don't get it. Why are so many of you so PO'ed about lil's not mentioning what he was carrying (do we now need to notify the forum of the specific make, model, and caliber of the firearms we are OCing to make you happy)? He was OCing a firearm in a library. They have an illegal rule that seeks to keep carriers of all firearms out of the library. The pertinent information is just that. What he was carrying is irrelevant (I happen to agree that a shotgun in that setting is not the best application, but who am I to judge?).

See Michigander's response; the matter regarding libraries is quite nuanced, and requires knowledge about the legality to carry at a specific library.

Haman J.T.

I just don't get it. Why are so many of you so PO'ed about lil's not mentioning what he was carrying (do we now need to notify the forum of the specific make, model, and caliber of the firearms we are OCing to make you happy)? He was OCing a firearm in a library. They have an illegal rule that seeks to keep carriers of all firearms out of the library. The pertinent information is just that. What he was carrying is irrelevant (I happen to agree that a shotgun in that setting is not the best application, but who am I to judge?).

See Michigander's response; the matter regarding libraries is quite nuanced, and requires knowledge about the legality to carry at a specific library.
Ditto!

B

Bikenut

It is my opinion that, as in all things, it depends on who is doing it. The high school jock hero can do something outrageous and, because of his popularity, everyone thinks what he did is "oh so cool" and is immediately accepted and praised.... but let the school nerd/dork do the same thing and suddenly it isn't "oh so cool" but is "oh so dumb" and is not accepted nor praised.

Bottom line... lil_freak's carrying a long gun into the library begs one question and one question only........... was it legal?

All other questions delve into the realm of people's opinions of if it was a wise decision to do so and/or their personal opinion of lil_freak himself.

Haman J.T.

It is my opinion that, as in all things, it depends on who is doing it. The high school jock hero can do something outrageous and, because of his popularity, everyone thinks what he did is "oh so cool" and is immediately accepted and praised.... but let the school nerd/dork do the same thing and suddenly it isn't "oh so cool" but is "oh so dumb" and is not accepted nor praised.

Bottom line... lil_freak's carrying a long gun into the library begs one question and one question only........... was it legal?

All other questions delve into the realm of people's opinions of if it was a wise decision to do so and/or their personal opinion of lil_freak himself.
Ditto!

DetroitBiker

My opinion was solely based on the act itself and not the person who did it.

I have a couple of Questions for bikenut. Do you personally think it was a wise choice to carry a shotgun into a public library?

And would you expect the police to be called if you were to carry a shotgun into your local public library?

If you dont want to answer in the forum,please PM me or I can send you my home phone#
Thanks ,Dennis

jetdavdub

I think if it were a holstered pistol it would have been different, regardless if it was legal or not. If it were the old west LG would be fine, hell they would try to teach you to read instead of drinkin' whiskey as longs you weren't causing trouble. Am I wrong?

Sent via Android Tapatalk b*#?! ;)

DetroitBiker

I think if it were a holstered pistol it would have been different, regardless if it was legal or not. If it were the old west LG would be fine, hell they would try to teach you to read instead of drinkin' whiskey as longs you weren't causing trouble. Am I wrong?

Sent via Android Tapatalk b*#?! ;)
Welcome to OCDO jetdavdub, while there is always a possibility of a MWAG call to the police while OC a hand gun, the chances of it happening are minimal if the person carrys themselves in a low key,professional mannor. On the other hand,I would bet money that walking into a public library with a shotgun slung on your back will most certainly get the Police called on you every time.

B

Bikenut

My opinion was solely based on the act itself and not the person who did it.

I have a couple of Questions for bikenut. Do you personally think it was a wise choice to carry a shotgun into a public library?

I refuse to be so arrogant as to second guess another person's decisions. What ever reason(s) lil_freak had for making his decision must have been valid to him or he would not have carried the shotgun into the library.

Regardless of his reasons the only true point of contention is whether what he did was legal or not since he, and we, have the right. All other considerations fall under the mantle of onlookers personal opinions.

I'm sure that given the right set of circumstances (don't know what those would be) I too would carry a long gun. I suspect most folks would do the same if circumstances warranted it. And if circumstances warranted my carrying a long gun I would not give 2 farts in the wind what someone else thought about it.

And would you expect the police to be called if you were to carry a shotgun into your local public library?

I expect the police to be called regardless of where I go each and every time I step out of the house wearing my sidearm. A pistol or long gun in plain view has the potential to cause a 911 call at any time anywhere so I expect it and prepare for it. To do anything less is to foolishly ignore reality.

If you dont want to answer in the forum,please PM me or I can send you my home phone#
Thanks ,Dennis

Now I have a question for you Sir....

Do you believe that just because you don't like something.. or would not do something.. that everyone else should do the same as you would?

DetroitBiker

Now I have a question for you Sir....

Do you believe that just because you don't like something.. or would not do something.. that everyone else should do the same as you would?

No, I do not think that at all.
I was stating my opinion about the matter. This is the internet, People are allowed to voice their opinions,thats why these discussion forums exist.
I am not affraid to give my honest Opinion, I asked for yours just out of curiosity because you seemed to say in your earlier post that people are picking on people based on popularity. And I stated how I based my opinion.

My questions were not meant to have you second guess anyone . they were a simple yes or no questions. But you danced around them as to not offend anyone,or give your honest opinion

No big deal to me if you answered them or not,just trying to see if you had a pair of stones. or just talked the talk.

I got my answer

B

Bikenut

No, I do not think that at all.
I was stating my opinion about the matter. This is the internet, People are allowed to voice their opinions,thats why these discussion forums exist.
I am not affraid to give my honest Opinion, I asked for yours just out of curiosity because you seemed to say in your earlier post that people are picking on people based on popularity. And I stated how I based my opinion.

My questions were not meant to have you second guess anyone . they were a simple yes or no questions. But you danced around them as to not offend anyone,or give your honest opinion

No big deal to me if you answered them or not,just trying to see if you had a pair of stones. or just talked the talk.

I got my answer

Perhaps you missed this part of my reply to you Sir.............

Bikenut said:
I'm sure that given the right set of circumstances (don't know what those would be) I too would carry a long gun. I suspect most folks would do the same if circumstances warranted it. And if circumstances warranted my carrying a long gun I would not give 2 farts in the wind what someone else thought about it.

Have a nice day.

DetroitBiker

Perhaps you missed this part of my reply to you Sir.............

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bikenut

Have a nice day.

umm ,not sure if this was an answer to my question or someone elses

I will simple it up for ya.

1- Do you personally think it is a wise choice to carry a shotgun into a public library?
Yes or No

2-Would you EXPECT the police to be called if you were to carry a shotgun into your local public library?
Yes or No

The questions are not "under certain circumstances" or "if the planets were aligned in a certain way" just straight forward.

Thank you :D

Last edited:

emt232004

Bottom line... was it legal?

That sir is indeed the question, was it legal??
Their opinion of the person doing such is irrelevant

B

Bikenut

1- Do you personally think it is a wise choice to carry a shotgun into a public library?
Yes or No

2-Would you EXPECT the police to be called if you were to carry a shotgun into your local public library?
Yes or No

The questions are not "under certain circumstances" or "if the planets were aligned in a certain way" just straight forward.

I'm unclear as to how it is possible to misunderstand my responses since they are/have been clear as day...

Allow me to reiterate.........

Depending on the circumstances it could be wise to carry a shotgun into a library. To say that circumstances have no bearing on whether carrying a shotgun into a library (or anywhere else) would be wise/unwise..... ignores reality. Who gets to decide if it is wise or not? The dude contemplating carrying the shotgun... not me or anyone else second guessing the dude. In fact I would consider myself to be rather arrogant to be second guessing someone else's decision.

There are circumstances where carrying a long gun is not only wise but the only option... such as if the long gun is the only gun the person has. Should that person leave the long gun home just because someone thinks it is improper to carry a long gun? I think not.

And I already said that if circumstances warranted my legally carrying a long gun I most certainly would do so... even to the library.

I also said I expect the police to be called anytime and anywhere I happen to be since no matter where I go I legally open carry.. which is all the time everywhere it is legal to do so. I, like many others, carry openly everywhere it is legal everyday.... and, like many others, was OC'g long before it was taken up as a "cause".

And since guns of any kind tend to generate 911 calls why would I be surprised if someone did a MWAG call on a long gun since they do it for pistols?...

By the way... I, like many others, have had a few LEO interactions due to OC.

Have a nice day.

DetroitBiker

That sir is indeed the question, was it legal??
It may or may not have been. legal counsel for CADL is investigating the matter
The CADL bans all weapons on its premises. That’s because the library leases the building from the Lansing School District and often coordinates kids programs with local schools

link http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-5259-guns-at-the-library.html

If that property is concidered a school zone ,Would it fall under the Gun Free school Act of 1995?
I know I cant OC a handgun inside a school without a CPL, but im not sure about a Long gun
maybe there is a Lawyer on the forum here that can chime in

NHCGRPR45

Yes or No

Yes or No

1. no
2. yes

and if i thought i would need a shotgun at a library i would go to barnes & noble instead.:rolleyes:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
It may or may not have been. legal counsel for CADL is investigating the matter
The CADL bans all weapons on its premises. That’s because the library leases the building from the Lansing School District and often coordinates kids programs with local schools

link http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-5259-guns-at-the-library.html

If that property is concidered a school zone ,Would it fall under the Gun Free school Act of 1995?
I know I cant OC a handgun inside a school without a CPL, but im not sure about a Long gun
maybe there is a Lawyer on the forum here that can chime in
Are you relying on the city pulse for news?

I doubt they can ban weapons based on a lease. Bath Township leases property from the school for a dollar a year and uses it as a park. They can't ban weaponsed based on the fact it's technically school property.

This library issue is being investigated by MOC, Inc. MOC will update when we hear from counsel.

Haman J.T.

Anywhere you can be murdered,robbed,raped or assaulted is where any gun is needed for defense.You can add school board meetings to the unending list of places where citizens have been endangered.Schools,colleges,courtrooms,malls,restraunts,fast food,banks etc.etc.etc..There is virtualy no place where a murder,robbery,rape or assault has not taken place.Thats the point of bearing arms,OC or CC,24/7!

DetroitBiker

Are you relying on the city pulse for news?

I doubt they can ban weapons based on a lease. Bath Township leases property from the school for a dollar a year and uses it as a park. They can't ban weaponsed based on the fact it's technically school property.

This library issue is being investigated by MOC, Inc. MOC will update when we hear from counsel.
Heck no, The news people are always getting facts messed up. I learned a long time ago
not to believe everything I read from a news artical.

This link is to the cadl pdf http://www.cadl.org/news/12-16-10_riflestatement.pdf the part with the local ordinance we all know wont hold water.

Im hoping that all will work out , I didn`t know MOC was looking into it. I will refrain from commenting anymore on the subject untill further notice. Thanks for the info

:cool:

Last edited:

mikestilly

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-5259-guns-at-the-library.html#

Wednesday, December 15,2010
Guns at the library
Fear strikes patrons at the downtown Capital Area District Library Saturday when a man strolled through with a gun over his shoulder
by Andy Balaskovitz
Wednesday, Dec. 15 — A man carrying what appeared to be a rifle or shotgun over his shoulder walked through the downtown Capital Area District Library Saturday afternoon, alarming patrons and staff.

The Lansing Police Department was called and asked the unidentified man to leave the property, which he did, CADL Director Lance Werner said. Efforts to reach the Lansing Police for comment were unsuccessful.

“I don’t know what his motivation was,” Werner said. Werner was not at work that day, but he has read the Police Department’s incident report and saw a photograph of the man with the weapon.

“The patrons were terrified,” he said.

Werner said the man walked around the first and second floors of the library before the police arrived in response to a patron’s call.

Werner said although the man was asked to leave, he is not banned from the property.

The question at hand is if the man had a legal right to carry the long-arm gun in the library. A legal counsel for CADL is investigating the matter, Werner added.

The CADL bans all weapons on its premises. That’s because the library leases the building from the Lansing School District and often coordinates kids programs with local schools, Werner said.

Rob Harris, vice president of Michigan Open Carry, an organization that promotes the right to bear arms in public, contends that it is legal in Michigan to carry a long-arm gun, such as a rifle or shotgun, in public.

“For a long-arm to be carried legally, it has to be in the open,” Harris said, referring to state law.

Section 2 in Chapter 696 of the Lansing Codified Ordinances says no firearms or dangerous weapons can be carried in public places unless it is in a case and is not loaded. However, the ordinance also says state law trumps the city’s policy.

Harris said that Open Carry focuses its efforts on carrying pistols in public and doesn’t necessarily promote the idea of carrying long-arm guns in public.

“We do recognize its legality but it’s not something we focus on as a group,” Harris said.

He added that he was ambivalent toward the man at the library when he first heard of the incident.

“We support all firearm rights. But there’s what is right and what is smart,” he said. “I don’t know if there is a real good reason to carry a long-arm in the middle of a downtown city.”

The man took it further than what Harris would ever consider doing.

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense to carry a long arm (in public),” Harris said. “I respect the person’s right to do so, but I wouldn’t do it myself.”