• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a public library

jetdavdub

Anywhere you can be murdered,robbed,raped or assaulted is where any gun is needed for defense.You can add school board meetings to the unending list of places where citizens have been endangered.Schools,colleges,courtrooms,malls,restraunts,fast food,banks etc.etc.etc..There is virtualy no place where a murder,robbery,rape or assault has not taken place.Thats the point of bearing arms,OC or CC,24/7!

Agreed

And to the post above, has anyone called that library (tho it may be bad rap) and ask the staff who picks up, if they have a copy of the constitution in the building. Then cite the 2nd amendment.

Sent via Android Tapatalk b*#?! ;)

TheQ

"Andy" from the City Pulse is on the forum seeking comment from OCDO Lansing locals under the user name "CityPulse" for a follow-up story.

I spoke with him briefly, I've asked him to note in his follow-up story that no charges have been filed because no laws have been broken.

budlight

Since we are on the topic of taking shotguns to libraries, when is someone going to OC an AR15 at the next parent teacher conferences? I would like to hear how that works out as well.

Agent1

2 cents.

The simple fact of the matter is that if an action by an individual is perfectly legal, let them be, and hope that they will be supportive and not impede upon the legal actions that you shall partake in.

I know hunters that are using AR-15 rifles for deer hunting now. For a long time I had a hard time swallowing this and thought that it looked poorly of hunters in the eyes of the public. I didn't like it but I did support it. Now it is being used at all leaves of hunting. Varmints, predators, small game and big game. Come to find out, it didn't hurt the cause so much.

Also, the last time I checked, this entire nation is at war with an enemy that has, and is not afraid to bring their fight to your playhouse. If you feel the need to carry a shotgun to the library or to any other lawful place for that matter, don't get all caught up on yourself and cave in to the PC bunnies, Take the darn Shotgun! Call me a paranoid if you like, but it was Henry Kissinger (IIRC) that said "Even a paranoid has enemies."

B

Bikenut

If anyone has any doubt that this forum is being watched... and watched closely... read this article because it quotes what a forum member posted here on OCDO. Now if a local newspaper is watching the forum and pulling posts off it to put into articles... what do you think local LE agencies, DHS, FBI, and any government agency local, State, and Federal, you might want to contemplate is doing with the things we post?

As has been said many times... it would behoove us all (myself included!!) to take our posts seriously and proof read them before hitting the submit button.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoonDog

The simple fact of the matter is that if an action by an individual is perfectly legal, let them be, and hope that they will be supportive and not impede upon the legal actions that you shall partake in.
If you don't mind, I'll paraphrase this to re-write it as follows:

The simple fact of the matter is that if an action by an individual is not harming another individual or their property, let them be, and hope that they will be supportive and not impede upon the legal actions that you shall partake in.

Laws can be just as damaging as they are helpful, so it's important to clarify the the underlying principle. Is the action harmful to others? If so, then let's intervene; if not, then **** and GTFO.

TheQ

If you don't mind, I'll paraphrase this to re-write it as follows:

The simple fact of the matter is that if an action by an individual is not harming another individual or their property, let them be, and hope that they will be supportive and not impede upon the legal actions that you shall partake in.

Laws can be just as damaging as they are helpful, so it's important to clarify the the underlying principle. Is the action harmful to others? If so, then let's intervene; if not, then **** and GTFO.

This is the foundation of Libertarian Philosophy: An individual should be free to do what he want and lead his life as he sees fit as long as he does no harm to another.

B

Bikenut

This is the foundation of Libertarian Philosophy: An individual should be free to do what he want and lead his life as he sees fit as long as he does no harm to another.

Unfortunately many people (not you personally Q!) are eager to be able to do whatever they want to do but are unwilling to accept the responsibility to be sure to respect the other guy's right to do whatever he wants too.

With rights come responsibilities.

TheQ

Unfortunately many people (not you personally Q!) are eager to be able to do whatever they want to do but are unwilling to accept the responsibility to be sure to respect the other guy's right to do whatever he wants too.

With rights come responsibilities.

+1

We Libertarians call those who want to control others "Statist". Obama and G. W. Bush are both examples of Statist.

kubel

Would I personally open carry a long gun into a library? No.
Would I ridicule, mock, or otherwise attempt to punish an individual that chose to? No.
Why? Because there's no law saying you can't.

I'll just say this publicly, people that are for the lawful open carry of pistols but ridicule those that choose to lawfully open carry long guns are obvious hypocrites.

stainless1911

Banned
I support the ability/right to do so, but also believe there is a time and place for such things. Carrying a long gun at this time, outside of specific venues, will cause much more harm than good to the RKBA and OC as a whole. I wish that was not the case, but it is what it is, at least for now.

NHCGRPR45

Would I personally open carry a long gun into a library? No.
Would I ridicule, mock, or otherwise attempt to punish an individual that chose to? No.
Why? Because there's no law saying you can't.

I'll just say this publicly, people that are for the lawful open carry of pistols but ridicule those that choose to lawfully open carry long guns are obvious hypocrites.

So you believe that the individual helped our cause by OC'ing that shot gun into the library?

DetroitBiker

From the City Pulse "Open Carry" artical

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"The question now is not whether the two men had a right to carry their guns— neither was arrested or charged with a crime — but whether the library is allowed to ban guns. Spagnuolo said he expects to have his legal opinion ready by Jan. 12, where he will present it to the CADL Board at its Committee of the Whole Meeting." http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-5314-open-carry.html[/FONT]

Has anybody heard what the legal opinion from Spagnuolo or the other CADL attorneys were today?

Or if the Library`s No Gun policy will remain in place?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
So you believe that the individual helped our cause by OC'ing that shot gun into the library?

Okay - I have long gun oc'd. It was on my street (two lane blacktop road semi rural / agricultural area). Tactically it makes sense there.
Rem870_2.jpg

Would I carry it into a library, no. Why? not the right tool for the job IMHO. Now we must also consider the person in question. LPD has refused to give him a purchase permit although as I understand they can cite no clear reason as to why? Basically saying:" "F" you kid we don't need no stinking reasons!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU&feature=related
So for him, this my have prompted him to carry long gun instead?

Last edited: