• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I live in Euclid Ohio and am wondering if i can OC?

Addblades

Right now I'm sixteen, and don't even own a handgun. However, i want to know some things.

When I turn eighteen, can i OC without a license? Can the gun be loaded and cocked?

I am having alot of trouble finding any information on this. And i don't want to call our local police dept just because they tend to give their own opinions instead of the actual law, or so i hear.

Anyways, all the information you can give me would be greatly appreciated

eye95

Right now I'm sixteen, and don't even own a handgun. However, i want to know some things.

When I turn eighteen, can i OC without a license? Can the gun be loaded and cocked?

I am having alot of trouble finding any information on this. And i don't want to call our local police dept just because they tend to give their own opinions instead of the actual law, or so i hear.

Anyways, all the information you can give me would be greatly appreciated

If you cock it, lock it.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Sorry Paul, new to the forum

That's OK. I wasn't bitching, just suggesting you'd get more accurate information from people who specialize in OH laws.

I have requested that the mods move this to the OH forum but it might take a while so you might want to start a new thread there.

Welcome to the forum and Carry On!

Addblades

That's OK. I wasn't bitching, just suggesting you'd get more accurate information from people who specialize in OH laws.

I have requested that the mods move this to the OH forum but it might take a while so you might want to start a new thread there.

Welcome to the forum and Carry On!

Thanks. I will go to there

Addblades

I see

Well, I just read that I can purchase a handgun from a private dealer, just not a mainstream FFL dealer

Is this true?

So let me present a scenario:

I could, theoretically, have a parent purchase the fire arm, and then purchase it from them. Or I could get one from a gun show, correct?

And couldn't I just have a parent or someone purchase it, and then get it from them, and say i got it somewhere else? (Yes, I am aware this is a straw purchase)

Last edited:

Deanimator

Well, I just read that I can purchase a handgun from a private dealer, just not a mainstream FFL dealer
There's no such thing as a "private DEALER".

Anybody could be a "private SELLER".

Being an unlicensed DEALER is a Federal crime.

Private sales which do not otherwise violate state or Federal law are perfectly legal in Ohio.

As to the legality of a private sale to YOU, I cannot make an informed statement.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
NavyLT has pretty well covered it. There are many knowledgeable people on this site. As long as you are supervised by a parent or guardian while using the firearm at a range is legal. But out in the public, be prepared to be harassed.

"2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;"

Last edited: