• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pueblo & pueblo west carry

sportrider

hello all, this is my first post. I moved from Ca. to Co. about 6 months ago. I've seen a few people open carry but not too many. I recently started carrying in my truck, once I found out it was legal to carry a loaded handgun in your car. I've always carried when I've been up in the mountains, Ca and here, but the thought of packing when just going to walmart or around town makes me feel like I'm committing a crime. what is the law regarding OC. in Cali some people said you can carry but it can't be loaded. in the mountains I never worried about it as I always had a current hunting license and if stopped(which I was twice)by rangers, I just told them I was hiking and hunting coyotes. which after serial numbers were ran on the firearm I was carrying, I was on my way. I plan on getting a CCW but would like to just carry when I feel like it. any advice or warnings are welcome.

ColoradoFlyer

Carry on Garth. It is a great state and the folks down there (pueblo) seem to be even more open than some father north. You will find that most people don't even notice and that you won't get a second look, and even more so when in the mountains. As the cold weather settles in, some find it a little more difficult to OC but if you get your CCW then there are no issues.

ZackL

To add to what ColoradoFlyer said. It is illegal to open carry in Denver county and city. Everywhere else in the state it is legal, though it may not be accepted in some areas. I open carry all the time, everywhere I go and haven't really had any issues with LEO contact or anything of that nature. I've been refused by two businesses, one was taken care of by the regional manager and it turns out that I was in the right as their policy is to abide by state law.

In Colorado, if you are on your own property (to include your vehicle) you can carry open or concealed. Outside of your own property, if you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry anywhere you want however you feel most comfortable (except for Denver which bans OC). There are no loaded restrictions in Colorado except for long guns which must not have a loaded chamber while you are transporting it via vehicle. This means that every other form of carry is legal with a full mag and loaded chamber if you choose to carry that way.

sportrider

thanks for the replies, I'm going to start carrying on the weekends just to start getting used to it. I've been carrying in my truck for a few weeks now. just starting a new habit as I walk out the door. car keys, check, cell phone, check, wallet, check, .380, check. god I love the gun laws here!!!:D

porterc

I have been OC in Pueblo West, Pueblo, Canon City, Florence, Colo. Springs for a couple of years now. I havent had any problems or comments about it. Although, some freak did call LEO on me last summer because they believed I was going to rob the local Loaf-n-Jug. HaHaHaHaHA. LEO didnt even run my name, just asked the clerk if all was well.

shotcop

Here for two weeks now. Just moved to Alamosa area, no problems but lots of stares and a few weird comments. That's life!

MarlboroLts5150

Headed that way in January for a few days with my folks. Then I'll be on my way to see my son in Il.

The impression I get from them is they don't have a problem with OC. Guess we'll see when I get there.

sportrider

I was carrying last night and had a cop drive by where me and my wife were standing. my wife was carrying too, he just went by. no issues. I love when I can get her to OC with me!

sportrider

well we did the walmart OC in pueblo west tonight, I didn't notice anyone staring although my wife said a lady did the whole double take on her. I was kinda nervous going in there but it turned out not to be a big deal. we did stop for dinner at the del taco on Elizabeth and 50west and ate inside. the guy working the counter asked us if we just walk around town carrying guns all the time. he said we were the first people his ever seen carrying there, he thought my wife was a cop until he noticed I was carrying too. I could possibly get used to doing this!

since9

Campaign Veteran
well we did the walmart OC in pueblo west tonight, I didn't notice anyone staring although my wife said a lady did the whole double take on her. I was kinda nervous going in there but it turned out not to be a big deal. we did stop for dinner at the del taco on Elizabeth and 50west and ate inside. the guy working the counter asked us if we just walk around town carrying guns all the time. he said we were the first people his ever seen carrying there, he thought my wife was a cop until he noticed I was carrying too. I could possibly get used to doing this!

Awesome! I get some double-takes from time to time, too. When that happens, I simply give them a disarming smile, and that usually does the trick.

bogidu

I live down the street from that Walmart and go there regularly. Most of the people in there don't even seem to notice.

well we did the walmart OC in pueblo west tonight, I didn't notice anyone staring although my wife said a lady did the whole double take on her. I was kinda nervous going in there but it turned out not to be a big deal.