• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our gun show guns in Mexico?? What do you think?

j2l3

I think the article doesn't say anymore than they claimed over a year ago. Same stats, same arguments, same, same......

There is nothing new here. Almost as if they took the old article and changed the date.

Jayd1981

Yea, the real story was 80% of the guns submitted to the US were found to originate here. A much smaller number, more like 17% actually came here. And most of those were guns like M-16s which are illegal for us to own anyways. The guns coming from the US and ending up in the cartels are the same guns our government is giving the mexican police and military. It is such BS when these stories come up, but I guess if you can scare people then the truth doesn't really matter.

Hammer

What a rerun....
Mexico has a problem alright- several of them. They can't provide for their own people- or won't. They won't deal with the cartels- the stuff about being undergunned is BS. I have travelled MX, and their army has HK 91's and 93's. All select fire. What is being brought from the USA that "outguns" those? And are those coming from gun shows? Ridiculous.
Mexico's problems are Mexico's, and if laws need to be created it is to stem the flow of their citizenry coming north, not guns going south.
One last comment- how many gun factories are there in MX? Few if any. Thus guns in MX are ALL imported. I think many of the guns in the hands of the cartels were sent down by the US gov't for the MX gov't use, and the MX gov't couldn't keep track of their stuff. THAT's how they'd get outgunned....

skiingislife725

What a rerun....
Mexico has a problem alright- several of them. They can't provide for their own people- or won't. They won't deal with the cartels.............the MX gov't couldn't keep track of their stuff.

I'm sure they can keep track of their stuff...it's just that the cartels pay much better...that and if you work with us we won't kill you and hang your head on a stick.

amlevin

If they would just enforce the laws we already have and secure the border most of the problems would go away.

Interesting argument. Yet when the ATF does enforce the laws we already have, especially those that are designed to stem the "gun running" that is definitely sending firearms illegally to Mexico, there are those here that decide that their actions are that of an overbearing Government. We have several recent incidents where some people have chosen to ignore the rules governing sales, such as a license being required if one makes a business of selling guns. Others have decided that FFL rules don't apply to them and when enforcement action is taken against them they are now "victims".

Rather than being apologists for those who will ignore the laws for their own benefit, why not let them know that the rest of us don't appreciate their actions. Actions that are sure to get MORE legislation passed to regulate further the transfer of firearms. The free trade of firearms in this country is a Utopian dream. It would have only happened if there weren't those among us that refuse to use common sense. Those that don't care who they sell to. Those who can't see the folly of letting EVERYONE, including criminals, have free access to firearms and just deal with the consequences.

When we have total government control over EVERY transaction involving a firearm, including Gun Show and Private sales, we can all look back and thank those we have been reading about recently for their actions. Their "Me First and Only Me" attitude will pay off. Not for them and the Government, but for the Gun Control advocates.

This article may be old and inaccurate in some areas but consider it a sign of what's in our future. The more guns that come from the Straw Purchasers and Gun Shows that end up in Mexico, regardless of percentage, will increase the political pressure to crack down even further.

And guess who we can thank. Start with people like "Handlebar Dave" and go from there.

Trigger Dr

Interesting argument. Yet when the ATF does enforce the laws we already have, especially those that are designed to stem the "gun running" that is definitely sending firearms illegally to Mexico, there are those here that decide that their actions are that of an overbearing Government. We have several recent incidents where some people have chosen to ignore the rules governing sales, such as a license being required if one makes a business of selling guns. Others have decided that FFL rules don't apply to them and when enforcement action is taken against them they are now "victims".

Rather than being apologists for those who will ignore the laws for their own benefit, why not let them know that the rest of us don't appreciate their actions. Actions that are sure to get MORE legislation passed to regulate further the transfer of firearms. The free trade of firearms in this country is a Utopian dream. It would have only happened if there weren't those among us that refuse to use common sense. Those that don't care who they sell to. Those who can't see the folly of letting EVERYONE, including criminals, have free access to firearms and just deal with the consequences.

When we have total government control over EVERY transaction involving a firearm, including Gun Show and Private sales, we can all look back and thank those we have been reading about recently for their actions. Their "Me First and Only Me" attitude will pay off. Not for them and the Government, but for the Gun Control advocates.

This article may be old and inaccurate in some areas but consider it a sign of what's in our future. The more guns that come from the Straw Purchasers and Gun Shows that end up in Mexico, regardless of percentage, will increase the political pressure to crack down even further.

And guess who we can thank. Start with people like "Handlebar Dave" and go from there.

+ a bunch

Hammer

I'm sure they can keep track of their stuff...it's just that the cartels pay much better...that and if you work with us we won't kill you and hang your head on a stick.

No, they can't keep track of their stuff. If they could, by definition, they would know where it is at any given time. They do not- and so when it is in the hands of the cartels, they are surprised it got there.