• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Size does matter

Hugh Johnson

Hi everyone, I am new here and I would like to know if anyone here carrys a handgun comparable to the S&W460. I know it is typically a hunting hand gun but you can also use smaller caliber ammo in order to utilize the hand gun for other purposes such as self defense. Any thoughts? I am eager to get started OCing and exercising my rights. Thanks in advance.

TyGuy

Thread "size does matter" by Hugh Johnson, perhaps you meant to type your name as Huge Johnson?

While larger caliber is a good thing, "it's not the size that matters it's how you use it." So, missing the target with a 45acp is worse than hitting with a 9mm or even a 380auto. That said, I typically CC a 9mm, but OC a 45. If you can't handle the stick then it's worthless.

Hugh Johnson

Thread "size does matter" by Hugh Johnson, perhaps you meant to type your name as Huge Johnson?

While larger caliber is a good thing, "it's not the size that matters it's how you use it." So, missing the target with a 45acp is worse than hitting with a 9mm or even a 380auto. That said, I typically CC a 9mm, but OC a 45. If you can't handle the stick then it's worthless.

Thanks TyGuy, No I meant to spell the name just as it is. Didn't want to offend anyone. Right now all I have is my 460 so it will have to do until I get something smaller. Money is an issue right now with the holidays drawing near. After the holidays maybe I will pick up a 9mm. But it won't be as pretty as my 460 :lol:

HandyHamlet

Greeting Sir.

All my guns are comparable to yours! :lol:

And maybe some member's too. I sometimes wish I wasn't forced to wave mine around in public as the shear magnitude of it can be tiresome though. But hey, if Wisconsin demands to see it who am I to deny them that right?

Just out of curiosity, will you (or other members) polish that massive guy before you go out in public? I only ask because I have a tiny little thing, a Beretta Mod 90, that would be perfect for OC. I figure if I ever get into a really tight spot I can go to town with this little guy. Some of these pistols are so big I worry that I may slap someone in the face with them as I draw! Anyway, The Beretta's finish has been stripped off and I was wondering if I should use some sort of protection on it before I start handling it. Should I blue it or something? Or just carry it in it's "naked" condition?

Last edited:

TyGuy

If you are comfortable with the 460 then, by all means, carry it. I was just saying that a large caliber won't do you any good if you can't hit anything with it. Carry on!

LR Yote 312

Welcome to the Forum !!!

Like previously said...if you can handle it...Run it.

Personally tho I wouldnt carry that firearm if you hunt with it.
Reason being if you involved in a self defense scenario ....it will be confiscated.
So not only are you out your OC firearm...Now you also lost your hunting firearm too.

You mentioned its the only pistol you have....so if I were in that position I would look for a cheap .38 or something like that to get started.
Also Carry guns tend to get a little more banged around or whats known as holster wear so if your very partial to it...replace it with something cheap...but reliable.

LR Yote

Hugh Johnson

Thanks for the hearty welcome everyone. I really intend on getting something smaller for OC because as you said I do not want the police to confiscate my hunting piece. Maybe a 9mm or something as soon as I can. Until then I probably won't carry the 460 unless I think I am going somewhere where it may be needed.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Greeting Sir.

And maybe some member's too. I sometimes wish I wasn't forced to wave mine around in public as the shear magnitude of it can be tiresome though. But hey, if Wisconsin demands to see it who am I to deny them that right?

Just out of curiosity, will you (or other members) polish that massive guy before you go out in public? I only ask because I have a tiny little thing, a Beretta Mod 90, that would be perfect for OC. I figure if I ever get into a really tight spot I can go to town with this little guy. Some of these pistols are so big I worry that I may slap someone in the face with them as I draw! Anyway, The Beretta's finish has been stripped off and I was wondering if I should use some sort of protection on it before I start handling it. Should I blue it or something? Or just carry it in it's "naked" condition?

WAVE reaction: EEK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eek

(Sorry - couldn't help myself :) )

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

might i suggest going to gander mountain and have them find a factory refurbished glock they are typically military or police issued firearms that are on a trade in program but glock completely goes through them and makes them just as good as new with about $150.00 to $250.00 less then new price tag depending on model plus you get the drag in the mud glock reliability

my opinion but im partial to glocks and i own a factory refurbished g22 .40 cal and it is my carry pistol

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

Greeting Sir.

Depends....Does it or will it match the "flasher" trenchcoat ??

LR Yote.

oak1971

I can't believe this is a serious thread, but if it is carry what you wish. I would add that the weight/size of the 460 and cost of ammo can be prohibitive.

HandyHamlet

Depends....Does it or will it match the "flasher" trenchcoat ??

LR Yote.

If I blue it brown (or is it plum?) it would go very nicely indeed! Come on CC!!!

There is something to be said for little ones. They don't drag my pants down. My girlfriend is not a big fan of mine. So I find the smaller the better. I can do things unnoticed. I can get in and out of places quickly and she (or the sheeple ) are none the wiser. People are more apt to notice and be disturbed by something the size of baby's arm hanging off your hips. IMHO but I am still very new at this.

So far this one seems to suit me the best for OC.

Last edited:

TyGuy

What's behind that thing, brains? Sorry, too much Walking Dead on my mind.

I think Gander Mtn has all in stock new Glocks for $499 this week.

oliverclotheshoff

it all really comes down to are you comfortable with carrying what ever you choose to carry everyone has there own opinion as to what is better (i cant believe this hasnt exploded yet into an argument yet) but when push comes to shove what you want is what you want

tyguy thats a good price

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

What's behind that thing, brains? Sorry, too much Walking Dead on my mind.

That's Manzanita. A term for knobby old hard wood. Wood collectors charge more for the fancy name.

Speaking of Gander Mountain.... new thread.

You said "exploded"! :lol:

Last edited:

Kelevra

might i suggest going to gander mountain and have them find a factory refurbished glock
I agree, the Glock would be a good way to go. I am a 1911 fan but Glocks work good too.

I would have no problem carrying the Smith & Wesson. I carry a full sized, stainless steel Colt 1911. People gawk and stare. Some ask about it. I am polite and conversational with everyone and I am always sure to include a smile.

By the way Handy, is that a WWII era Beretta? Very cool.

HandyHamlet

By the way Handy, is that a WWII era Beretta? Very cool.

I believe it is a Beretta M1934 since it takes .380 ACP. It's stamped with "RE" under the hammer on the frame indicating it was (Regio Esercito) for the army. It's from that era but there is no date stamp. The great thing about this particular Beretta is I have no qualms about throwing it at the target when all 7 rounds are expended.

oh yah, Thanks!

Last edited:

Kelevra

There is something cool about a gun with wear like that. Just the idea of how old it is...

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
There are considerable drawbacks to carrying such a large gun. If you're loading .45 Colt in a .460 you've got an awfully heavy gun that's no more potent than a standard-sized gun loaded with .45 Colt. A .460 would be slow to draw, and unwieldy to handle. As far as I know, the shortest barrel length for a .460 is over 8 inches. If you've loaded .460 ammo, then over penetration also becomes a much bigger concern.

Carrying a heavy gun all day will get old fast too. And what kind of holster suitable for combat duty will you have? Finally, in a struggle, that long barrel gives your opponent a lot to grab onto. A high percentage of shootings occur within reaching distance.

On the plus side, you've got a decent club compared to a real combat handgun.