• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry consistancy?

GlockRDH

Isnt there something to be said for carrying and practicing with the same or identical weapon one would carry? Why would you carry a 1911 one day and a g27 the next...? I know some have mentioned having various arms...but ive not heard anyone discuss consistancy of carry...

xd40arff

I pick whichever one makes my but look good in my wranglers! j/k I usally carry my mp40c, unless I just feel like carrying my XD40 Service Model. Mood of the day pretty much.

oak1971

For me it doesn't matter because I know how to operate all of my firearms. It's not that hard to master multiple platforms.

JJC

As long as one is proficient with the different models it shouldn't be a issue.

All though, one should limit their carrying to as few as possible.

For myself, it depends on how I'm carrying.

Open carry, I usually have my Glock 22, while for CC, with no imprint, I carry a 38 +P pocket SW. Where legal of course.

oak1971

My Glock and Kahr are both striker fired with no external safety.

My Sigs have no external safety.

My 1911's require only the safety to be manipulated which comes automatically when you ride the safety with your strong hand thumb like I do.

Mag changes are the same for all.

A tap on the bottom of the mag and a rack of the slide will solve most function issues.

Last edited:

shotcop

Whew!

Under stress all that cross training won't help!
Carry one gun as your carry piece, play with as many as you want on the range where it doesn't count. Our swat guys just love the drop leg foolishness they carry on call outs but under stress they always reach first for their hip where they carry everyday, that's their default setting, same with the gun, I've seen revoler guys forget the safety on a 1911 over and over. The place to try out new or different gear isn't the street. Do it on your spare time, become proficient then stick with the one train with..might not know much but the screen name speaks volumes when it comes to real world experience..not theory

Kelevra

Isnt there something to be said for carrying and practicing with the same or identical weapon one would carry? Why would you carry a 1911 one day and a g27 the next...? I know some have mentioned having various arms...but ive not heard anyone discuss consistancy of carry...
The mantra is repetition with your carry gun. I completely agree with shotcop. Stress is the key here. There are instances where cops that removed their mags without dropping them, but rather put them in their pocket, did the same thing under fire (stress). The way you practice is what will likely happen in the real world.

Carry one gun as your carry piece, play with as many as you want on the range where it doesn't count. Our swat guys just love the drop leg foolishness they carry on call outs but under stress they always reach first for their hip where they carry everyday, that's their default setting, same with the gun, I've seen revoler guys forget the safety on a 1911 over and over. The place to try out new or different gear isn't the street. Do it on your spare time, become proficient then stick with the one train with..might not know much but the screen name speaks volumes when it comes to real world experience..not theory

YUP!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I have several handguns but I only carry one. I carry my Glock 36 and for now that is the only one I will carry. The reason for me is simple: I've fired thousands of rounds through it and have been carrying it since...I believe 2004. Heck, the finish is fading from all the handling but it shoots true and I know it well.

Yooper

I agree with ya. Someone who trained on a 1911, but is proficient with a glock won't have nearly as big of a problem if he needs the glock in a self defense situation, compared to someone who trained with a glock, but is proficient with a 1911. Since all of my handguns (except a couple of kel-tecs not suitable for oc or cc) don't have safeties, I'd be in trouble if the fecal matter came in contact with a multi-bladed rotating device and I was carrying a handgun with a safety on it.

jpm84092

I typically carry a Springfield XD-9 (9 mm Luger), but also sometimes carry a Springfield XD-45 (.45 ACP). They are identical in size, weight, and features and holster identically. Both have 4 inch barrels. Both fit the same in the same holster. Recoil is different, but similar enough that it does not adversely affect follow-through. When I go to the range, I train with one or two of my alternate handguns (gotta love that 6 3/4 inch barrel on the .44 mag revolver) for fun, but always with my XD platform. In that way, "muscle memory" is intact and the "reps" reinforce this.

Since getting more involved with NRA style training, I am doing more and more shooting using 9-inch paper plates as the target. I can get 100 "targets" for a couple of pennies each.

jpm84092

I agree with ya. Someone who trained on a 1911, but is proficient with a glock won't have nearly as big of a problem if he needs the glock in a self defense situation, compared to someone who trained with a glock, but is proficient with a 1911. Since all of my handguns (except a couple of kel-tecs not suitable for oc or cc) don't have safeties, I'd be in trouble if the fecal matter came in contact with a multi-bladed rotating device and I was carrying a handgun with a safety on it.

While I respect your opinions, my experiences differ slightly. For the majority of my carry years I preferred the Springfield Model 1911 Compact (6 + 1 using .45 ACP). I carried cocked and locked. The safety release was part of the sight alignment and was burned into my consciousness.

Now, I find the Springfield XD with 4 inch barrel to be preferable. I have no problems transitioning between the two. (At least not yet.) When I practice at the range, I make sure that at least one of my "fun" guns is a Model 1911.

Because I have trained with a variety of handguns, I take care to look intently at the one I holster each day and review the features of that particular handgun in my head. This "sets" my brain and muscle memory for that handgun. Others may have different experiences or differing opinions, but so far what I am doing has worked for me. As I have heard it said so often in other forums, "your mileage may vary".

As for the Kel-Tek, I agree that this type of handgun is not optimal for primary carry, but my "Back Up Gun" (BUG) is a Kel Tech P-32 (32 auto - JHP) carried in an inside the pants pocket holster. (Yes, I live in a Concealed Carry State and have all applicable permits.) It is a difficult handgun to shoot with good accuracy, but I have developed a technique that was good enough for me to qualify for the FBI close quarter qualification requirements (the standard for a Nevada CFP). I practice with it too to stay proficient.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

Well...you know.... It all depends on what I'm wearing or where I'm going. I like to accessorize correctly of course. My stainless 1911 just doesn't go well with casual, so I prefer the look of the HK USPc. In business or business casual the 1911 is as good as wearing a Rolex. When I'm somewhere in between, I sometimes carry my beretta 96 but it makes my butt look big so only when I've got on some slimming pants; never stripes!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On a serious note; I believe the biggest difference is whether a pistol has an external safety or not. Other than that I don't think it's much of a problem going from gun to gun as long as you've trained with all of them. All of mine have external safeties so I am used to drawing and flicking off the safety at the same time.

It's still probably better to go with one that you like the best and always use it but when CC comes, I know that I'll have a favorite OC and favorite CC gun; and they won't be the same. What a conundrum.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It's not just consistency with a gun, but how you wear your gear, mags in the same location, most wear bullets pointed forward-- but whatever your choice-- make it consistent, familiarity with your clothes and whether they interfere with a draw--- which becomes even more of an issue with CC.

nonameisgood

I practice with two identically configured carry pistols (HK P30 & P2000sk no manual safeties) and one entirely different BUG (Sig P238 w ext safety). I have difficulty remembering the safety on the P238, in spite of having to manipulate an external safety for 15 years before 1000's or rounds thru my current array of pistols. I will be changing to a DAO backup next chance I get.

You should pick a configuration (maybe not one pistol, but one mechanism) and train with it, practice with it, and always finish your practice sessions with it.

To get truly proficient at instinctive shooting with a weapon seems to require diligence without deviation.

CharleyMarbles

whats a 1911 ? im sure beretta sells more m9's then whoev makes a 19something sells.

OH MY ! ! ! ! did you stick your foot in it LOL

The 1911 has been the quentisential combat handgun for the last 100 years it also remains the highest selling platform in the industry.

I suggest you do a bit of research.

Now I am not saying it is the best handgun for everyone it is a handgunners handgun and so it does require a bit more practise to be proficent with.

That said I am an ARDENT FAN of the worlds best combat handgun, that being in my oppinion the model 1911 :)