• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questionable Handling

HandyHamlet

Went to a sporting goods store last night to shop for holsters. I was told to bring the firearms in to ensure a proper fit. I did (unloaded and no mags).

The young gentleman behind the counter uncased the firearms, checked them, released the slides and hammers, then placed them on the counter. Pointed directly at my ample midsection. I was a bit freaked to say the least so I stepped to the side. He took one pistol and entered the holster isle. While we searched he continually spun my pistol on the palm of his hand. I was so freaked I couldn't even look. I immediately concluded my business and left.

In my day we walked barefoot, up hill, 20 miles in snow just to go to school. So am I being a prude? Or has gun safety and handling changed?

JJC

I don't think gun safety has changed, I'm thinking you were dealing with somebody that never had an training.
This person didn't show any respect to you or the firearm. I suggest that you let somebody at that store know how the co-worker behaved.

I wouldn't do business there.

JMHO

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
I suspect that he was trying to get a feel for your piece. Kidding aside he did check to see if it was clear but has a lot to learn about true safety that all guns are loaded and should be treated as such and etiquette .

XDFDE45

That was just WAY wrong for him to be doing that. Whenever I've gone looking at guns they lock the slide back and set it on the gun pad facing either to the right or left and I hand it back the same way. I just can't believe he was spinning it in hins hand though :eek:.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

That was just WAY wrong for him to be doing that. Whenever I've gone looking at guns they lock the slide back and set it on the gun pad facing either to the right or left and I hand it back the same way. I just can't believe he was spinning it in hins hand though :eek:.

Neither did the manager I called. Wasn't trying to be a dick but I think it is a big enough issue they should know about it. And yes, he was spinning it. It was flat on his open palm and he was spinning it, stopping/catching it, then doing it again. I am almost positive he didn't even know he was doing it as we were both searching through the holsters.

XDFDE45

Neither did the manager I called. Wasn't trying to be a dick but I think it is a big enough issue they should know about it. And yes, he was spinning it. It was flat on his open palm and he was spinning it, stopping/catching it, then doing it again. I am almost positive he didn't even know he was doing it as we were both searching through the holsters.

Do you mind telling me what store this was so I can make a note to avoid it? If you don't want to name them here just shoot me a PM then.

HandyHamlet

Gander Mountain in Kenosha.

I didn't get the clerk's name I was dealing with. I guess I could have handled it differently but I'm still not even comfortable carrying firearms in public. Cased, uncased, OC, whatever. I hail from a Police State originally. I have been out of the firearms scene for quite a while hence my apprehension.

oak1971

I didn't get the clerk's name I was dealing with. I guess I could have handled it differently but I'm still not even comfortable carrying firearms in public. Cased, uncased, OC, whatever. I hail from a Police State originally. I have been out of the firearms scene for quite a while hence my apprehension.

Unsafe handling is reason enough for apprehension.

Try Jalensky's they are my store of choice and they have a nice lay away program.

Last edited:

CenTex

Personally, I would take the opportunity to call his supervisor and ask the supervisor to show the man how to properly handle a firearm in public whether "empty" or not. Whether or not to patronize that business, it would depend upon the rest of the employees and how they interact with me and the prices offered on the store's merchandise.

One person does not a crowd make. I frequent some businesses all the time that have a few employees that don't ring my bell. That does not keep me from doing business with them. Now if it were the owner, that would be a different thing; it would also depend upon how serious the owner upset me. I had a lousy next-door neighbor who still manages a store in town for his elderly parents. I do business in that store because as a manager he has never treated me poorly. I keep my marbles separate from my ball bearings.

ETA: I would have told the man not to spin my firearm. I would have asked him to hand it back to me. I can try the firearm in holsters.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

What an a+shat !!!!

If that is all the respect a persons property is entitled too...That store dont deserve my business.

Sorry but layin all the firearms on the counter...and then walkin away and leaving them unattended...plus the gun spinning would have set me off right then and there.
Screw the manager....The employee can deal with a p+ssed off customer that he p+ssed off.

After my encounter with a certain PD where the officer insisted on cuffing me and removing my firearm from my holster....and have to ask for instructions on how to unload my 1911....I have a little problem handing my firearm over to just anyone.

LR Yote

HandyHamlet

Sorry but layin all the firearms on the counter...and then walkin away and leaving them unattended...

To clarify about the counter.

The clerk took one pistol to the isle. I did not leave the other one. I placed it back in the case and took it with us. I hear you loud and clear though.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

I suspect that he was trying to get a feel for your piece. Kidding aside he did check to see if it was clear but has a lot to learn about true safety that all guns are loaded and should be treated as such and etiquette .

I might get schooled for saying this but...

The firearm safety rules that states treat every gun should be treated as if it's loaded is in place because off all the people that have gotten shot with a firearm that was ASSUMED to be empty.

After a firearm has been cleared where the handler and myself know that it is cleared in a controlled environment, where we not assuming it's cleared, but we are confident it is cleared, it does not phase me if the barrel is inadvertantly gets pointed at me.

But If we are hunting or at the range, it bothers me extremely.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Shop somewhere else!

That Gander Mountain is barely half a mile or so from my house and EVERY time I have gone in that store to the back where all the guns and ammo are I have NEVER been helped by ANY of the staff that actually work in the firearms department. That is the absolute worst firearms department I have ever been to. I have walked the gun racks and ammo aisles for over an hour several times over the past three years and not one of those idiots would offer assistance. I have stood at the counter waiting for the idiot to come over and help with pistols and instead he leaves and goes in the back of the store. The last time I was there the assistant manager told me I couldn't carry in the store....yeah....I took him to the Gander Mountain sign and asked him to read it. I haven't been back but once and that was only because I needed a gun case for a pistol. I refuse to shop at Gander Mountain in Kenosha.

HandyHamlet

That is the absolute worst firearms department I have ever been to.

You know... I didn't want to get into it. But. When I called the manager today I described the two young men and one young lady behind the firearms counter. I couldn't recall the clerk's name who "helped" me. The manager told me there was supposed to be one older gentleman in charge of and running the counter and not the three I described.

:question:

Live and learn.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
You know... I didn't want to get into it. But. When I called the manager today I described the two young men and one young lady behind the firearms counter. I couldn't recall the clerk's name who "helped" me. The manager told me there was supposed to be one older gentleman in charge of and running the counter and not the three I described.

:question:

Live and learn.

It is a shame too since G.M. supports open carry BIGTIME. But....that store sucks! Every gun I have purchased at Cabelas SHOULD have been purchased at that G.M. Instead I would rather drive the 61 miles EACH WAY to Cabelas and back AND GO BACK AGAIN after 48 hours for my handgun purchases. Let's see...in the past 14 months I have purchased two shotguns, a semi auto .22 carbine, a revolver and several boxes of ammo from Cabelas instead of that G.M. store. All because they have terrible customer service in the firearms department.

Kelevra

I feel the same way as you about a barrel pointed at me. Any time. I have mentioned it to both counter people and other customers. One guy pointed a rifle at me. I grabbed the end of the barrel and moved it away. He was miffed but I won't put up with it. Guns that are supposed to be cleared have gone off in stores and at gun shows so I do not appreciate inattentive gun handling anywhere.

I have had counter people berate me for checking chamber right after they did. I don't care. A gun is not empty till I know it is.

As for your experience, I really would not have liked that at all. :cuss: