Thread: Concealed Question??

Concealed Question??

I open carry a lot but I have a concealed question. I know in some states it's illegal to print. I did not think that was the case in Colorado. Can someone set me straight. Could you post a link of the law.

Thanks!!

What do you mean it's illegal to print?

Where your gun and your holster show because your shirt is to tight. It's called printing.

Ohh sorry, wasn't aware of that term. I'm not aware of the law about that. But that seems like it would be concealed. I'd get get a CCW permit so when there is chilly weather you can carry and stay warm within staying within the law.

IANAL, but TMK printing in CO is not illegal because there is not a law against it. I suppose someone could show you where the law is not.... (Seriously, IIRC, there is nothing about how you should conceal in the statutes.)

Just guessing here but I would say that the states where printing is illegal, OC is also illegal. Since OC is legal in CO I don't see how a person could be charged with printing while carrying CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Just guessing here but I would say that the states where printing is illegal, OC is also illegal. Since OC is legal in CO I don't see how a person could be charged with printing while carrying CC.
    Not disagreeing here, but by that logic wouldn't it be illegal to print in Denver county?

That being said, I haven't heard, read or seen anything that would prove an illegal action by printing from any source so I'd have to say that it is not a necessary requirement that you don't print.

I've yet to find anything definitive concerning printing and CC here in Colorado.

About the only thing I could find was here.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone who's bumped up against my OC firearm without realizing what it was. I'd have enough for a movie AND some popcorn.

Around here, printing was something we learned in kindergarten.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

well,,

study up in florida,,, and maybe texas.
    neither of those states allow open carry.
    im am quite certain florida has a law, that makes it unlawful for your
    concealed fire arm to be discernible under your clothing.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

As I read post #1, the question concerns only Colorado, not any other states. There is no Colorado statute or Denver ordinance concerning printing. Therefore printing of a concealed pistol can't possibly be illegal anywhere in Colorado. Now of course, printing could lead to arrest for carrying in a CC-prohibited area such as an elementary school, but the charge would not be "printing".

If you disagree, prove me wrong by providing a link to the statute or ordinance.
    Last edited by Anubis; 12-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.

I think this "printing" issue (if it is one) derives from the experience of states like Texas where there is a requirement TO CONCEAL with that State's (concealed) handgun license - as contrasted with the Colorado CHP which is a permit TO CONCEAL . Texas -belatedly - thinks their CHL grants the RIGHT to carry a handgun down there. Texas hasn't caught up with the Heller/McDonald decisions yet. Hopefully the Texas Legislature will address it this session . If not the courts soon will.

Being a former Texas resident for some 45 years, and still regularly visiting the State- I have probably "opened carried " more there than I have in Colorado. I think I understand their situation pretty accurately. Texas is playing "catch-up" - AND FRANKLY IS REALLY RUNNING BEHIND ! Texans are ready for their handgun restrictions to be lifted. Texas handgun law is pretty much stuck in THE post-Civil War/Reconstruction Era - read: "How are we going to keep the African Americanes disarmed- Goodness gracious- Sakes alive !"- Thing. I'm sorry - but that's about the size of it - down there.

Getting back to the "printing" thing - Something is either CONCEALED - or IT IS NOT CONCEALED- period. I really get tired of this constant hand-wringing over nothing. . Get out there and exercise your God-given right - at every opportunity within the parameters of your particular lifestyle. Even if a permit is presently required - and stop being so apologetic and bashful about it. PUSH that ENVELOPE ! If you don't - it will slowly constrict around you - just like a plastic bag.

And have a VERY , MERRY CHRISTMAS while you're at it !

If it is not expressly stated as unlawful, it is lawful. My guess with respect to Denver would be in the worst case you'd be required to show your CCW and told to cover it up better. Even a poorly covered pistol is not "open" carried.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    study up in florida,,, and maybe texas.
    neither of those states allow open carry.
    im am quite certain florida has a law, that makes it unlawful for your
    concealed fire arm to be discernible under your clothing.
    While this is true, (I'm from Texas and it is illegal to INTENTIONALLY allow your firearm to become visible or "print"), how does this have any relevance to the current discussion of the laws of Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    I think this "printing" issue (if it is one) derives from the experience of states like Texas where there is a requirement TO CONCEAL with that State's (concealed) handgun license - as contrasted with the Colorado CHP which is a permit TO CONCEAL . Texas -belatedly - thinks their CHL grants the RIGHT to carry a handgun down there. Texas hasn't caught up with the Heller/McDonald decisions yet. Hopefully the Texas Legislature will address it this session . If not the courts soon will.

Being a former Texas resident for some 45 years, and still regularly visiting the State- I have probably "opened carried " more there than I have in Colorado. I think I understand their situation pretty accurately. Texas is playing "catch-up" - AND FRANKLY IS REALLY RUNNING BEHIND ! Texans are ready for their handgun restrictions to be lifted. Texas handgun law is pretty much stuck in THE post-Civil War/Reconstruction Era - read: "How are we going to keep the African Americanes disarmed- Goodness gracious- Sakes alive !"- Thing. I'm sorry - but that's about the size of it - down there.

Getting back to the "printing" thing - Something is either CONCEALED - or IT IS NOT CONCEALED- period. I really get tired of this constant hand-wringing over nothing. . Get out there and exercise your God-given right - at every opportunity within the parameters of your particular lifestyle. Even if a permit is presently required - and stop being so apologetic and bashful about it. PUSH that ENVELOPE ! If you don't - it will slowly constrict around you - just like a plastic bag.

And have a VERY , MERRY CHRISTMAS while you're at it !
    Unfortunately, Texas is NOT playing catch up. Nobody at the capital had the balls to introduce a pretty much neutered open carry bill last session even with a petition of over 60,000 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Unfortunately, Texas is NOT playing catch up. Nobody at the capital had the balls to introduce a pretty much neutered open carry bill last session even with a petition of over 60,000 signatures.
    Really? Gee, whiz. I hope they'll come to be known as the "ostrich legislature."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.