• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Extra Mags

M

mattwestm

Just a quick question on extra mags. How many extra mags do you guys carry and what kind of carrier do you usually have them in? I usually only carry an extra magazine with my 1911 and I keep it in a nylon velcro pocket knife pouch that fits nicely on my belt. With my XD I just use the 16 rounds of 9mm that's in the gun.

I'd like to get a single magazine holder for my 9mms and maybe a double mag pouch for the 1911. Can anyone suggest a decent kydex single mag holder for single or double stack mags?

Last edited:

sultan62

I carry one extra mag in a 5.11 double mag holder. I keep a flashlight in the second pouch. That's 13+1+13 total.

Kivuli

I carry two spare 12-rounders for my USP .45, and I have a simple nylon mag pouch that I put on my belt.

Last edited:

sultan62

I'll also mention that I used to carry my spare mag in my back pocket next to my wallet, until it started wearing holes in my jeans.

M

mattwestm

I also used to carry one in my pocket, but lint and other pocket crap gets in the mag and might mess it up.

Dreamer

1 spare mag in a Tan Blackhawk mag carrier to match my tan Serpa.

Para Ordnance S-14.45 (double stack)

Carry mags are factory original Para mags.

13+13+1...

(but for USPSA matches, I use a mixture of Para and ProMag magazines)

Speaking of which, I need to put an order in with Wolff for some new mag springs, and to Dawson Precision for some new followers. I'll have to put that on my wish list for Santa this year...

Last edited:

Sc0tt

I do carry an extra 10 rd mag but its hard to find a holder for it so Ive just been tucking it in my belt

smlawrence

Well my Springfield XDm 40 holds 16+1 and depending on where I go my xtra mag of 16 more is either in my back pocket or in the console of my truck. I also keep a 50rd box in my console for that just in case day...lol.

Dreamer

I don't currently carry an extra mag, but I am looking into carriers since my USP-C .45 only holds 8

Remember, folks. People don't JUST carry extra mags for more ammo. We carry extra mags for malfunctions. The chances you'll need more than 6 rounds in a self-defense situation is VERY slim, but jams, misfires, etc. always seem to happen when you least expect them, and can be a LOT faster and more effectively remedied with a quick mag change...

KevlarCowboy

I carry one spare mag for my glock in a Blackhawk close top mag carrier on a belt mount system with a tac light.

Blackhawk makes great mag carriers for double stack single and double mags in 9mm and .40 S&W, and for single stack single and double mag .45 ACP, they have open top and coverd tops in black, tan, od green and foliage. Fairly priced.

M

mattwestm

I'm starting to carry two extra mags. One with more JHP and another with FMJ for better penetration.