• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Bill Attempts to Restrict Knife Length

XD45PlusP

Spoke to the legislative aide of Sherry Appleton and she told me she has been getting many calls, emails, etc... in regards to this bill. The majority of which are against. Hunters, fishermen, divers, etc...

IMHO this aint going anywhere. Keep up the phone calls, emails and if this does get to committee storm the place like you guys did when the assault weapons ban bill came up, and make some friggin NOISE. This crap can be defeated, or even turned into something that's beneficial to all. In fact ask your reps to counter this bill with something that makes sense, like Preemption for Knives, or a Concealed Weapons Permit, instead of CPL's.

Some of these legislative clowns have no idea, except that it feels good to them.

PUSH BACK. GET THE WORD OUT.

XD

P.S Supposedly this bill is being requested by law enforcement. Too many people (Gangbangers) are concealing knives and the cops are scared!

Last edited:

XD45PlusP

Do you have a source for this? It doesn't surprise me but it would be good to know which cops are trying to trample on our freedom.

SVG,

The source is Sherry Appletons legislative assistant/aide. When the legislature convenes on Jan 10th the bill will be updated with "By Request" like this

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2009&bill=4220

I'm pretty sure it's these guys > https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/

and WSP

There's no other sponsors besides Appleton. Which is a good sign, but others can be added later. Write her, call her, and especially talk to your reps.
XD

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Here is my proposed bill to the legislator:

RCW 9.41 shall be amended by striking all sections and subsections and adding the following new sections.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of weapon regulation within the boundaries of the state. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to weapons that are specifically authorized by 9.41.002. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of 9.41.002 shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Please see Article 1 Section 24 of our Our state Constitution.

Well, I can dream can't I?

Aaron1124

Here is my proposed bill to the legislator:

RCW 9.41 shall be amended by striking all sections and subsections and adding the following new sections.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of weapon regulation within the boundaries of the state. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to weapons that are specifically authorized by 9.41.002. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of 9.41.002 shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Please see Article 1 Section 24 of our Our state Constitution.

Well, I can dream can't I?

That's great, but where does that leave State Law on weapons? As is currently?

END_THE_FED

That's great, but where does that leave State Law on weapons? As is currently?

Forgive me, I am not sure I understand your question.

Basically The only weapons law would be state preemption and article 1 sec 24

The only weapons law in the state that I can think of that doesn't fall under 9.41 is 9.91.160 personal protection spray devices (and it also includes a preemption statute.)

Aaron1124

I apologize. I misread what you intended. I wasn't sure if you were including Preemption with *current* statutes on weapons, or if you were talking about completely abolishing the "dangerous weapons" statutes and creating the preemption on all weapons.

Trigger Dr

Maybe its time for a Concealed Deadly Weapons License and just lump knives, nun-chucks, throwing stars and what ever else is considered a deadly weapon.

This could open the door for a complete re write on 9.41 and possibly require CWP for carry of any kind. Not a scenario I would welcome. Let us just attempt and succeed to defeat the bill.