• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Bill Attempts to Restrict Knife Length

Bill Starks

State Researcher

ManInBlack

Any idea of the likelihood of passage? I always carried what many people would consider "big" knives when I lived in Washington, sometimes openly, sometimes not, but am somewhat out of touch with the current political climate in the legislature, especially in light of the last election.

joeroket

Unfortunately I think it has a pretty good shot at passing. The rational they will likely use is that there are a lot of cities that restrict blades to the length called out in the bill. The only rational thought that went into this was keeping the text that requires one to furtively carry with intent to conceal. Most prosecutors know that you have to be pretty articulate in describing the actions that caused an officer to believe the actions of the subject were furtive.

ManInBlack

Unfortunately I think it has a pretty good shot at passing. The rational they will likely use is that there are a lot of cities that restrict blades to the length called out in the bill. The only rational thought that went into this was keeping the text that requires one to furtively carry with intent to conceal. Most prosecutors know that you have to be pretty articulate in describing the actions that caused an officer to believe the actions of the subject were furtive.

That is very unfortunate.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Maybe its time for a Concealed Deadly Weapons License and just lump knives, nun-chucks, throwing stars and what ever else is considered a deadly weapon.

ManInBlack

Maybe its time for a Concealed Deadly Weapons License and just lump knives, nun-chucks, throwing stars and what ever else is considered a deadly weapon.

While I obviously would prefer constitutional carry everywhere, I never did understand how I was allowed to have a loaded firearm under my coat but not a dagger, or brass knuckles, etc., depending on the silly rules of whatever jurisdiction I happened to be in.

Whitney

Her Response..........

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This may look familiar to some
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Whitney,

This will be a new session and there is no HB 1006. We are working on some new legislation about knives longer than 3 1/2 inches and I will take into consideration your e-mail. Thanks so much,

Sherry

Representative Sherry Appleton
23rd Leg. District, Position 1
Vice Chair, State Government and Tribal Affairs John L. O'Brien Building, Room 424 P.O. Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7934
Executive Assistant: Donna Bezon
bezon_do@leg.wa.gov

OOPs!!! Just realized it is my bill from this session - after the special session I am a bit tired. Sorry. I sent your suggestions to staff and will see what they say about the legalities. Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing out these flaws in the legislation. I do believe dirks and daggers are a little out of date as terminology - and need to be updated. Most people would call them a knife.

Sherry

Representative Sherry Appleton
23rd Leg. District, Position 1
Vice Chair, State Government and Tribal Affairs John L. O'Brien Building, Room 424 P.O. Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7934
Executive Assistant: Donna Bezon
bezon_do@leg.wa.gov

-----Original Message-----
Subject: NC: HB 1006

HOUSE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE

TO: Representative Sherry Appleton

BILL: 1006 (Against)

SUBJECT: HB 1006

Since I carry a pretty large knifes in my hunting and diving gear I am concerned about what the letter of the law says here. I suspect the intent is to "clean up" the legal vernacular. If I have a knife exceeding three and one half inches in my dive bag or in my backpack I could potentially be in some legal trouble depending on the interpretation. I interpret the word "Furtively" to mean a secretive or similar motive.

If this passes, I and every other diver and hunter could have a problem. Unless there is added an exception for people engaging in either activity as evidenced by the presence of other gear associated with the activity (divers would have tanks, mask, fins, suit, etc and hunters would have bow, rifle, etc) then everyone will be at the mercy of any law officer that wants to make it an issue.

Eliminating the terms "dirk" and "dagger", and substituting "knife" may have some unintended consequences. There is more than one "legal expert" that has successfully argued that a knife is not a dirk or dagger. Might open up the legal concealment of both those old weapons.

"fur•tive/ˈfərtiv/Adjective
1. Attempting to avoid notice or attention, typically because of guilt or a belief that discovery would lead to trouble; secretive.
2. Suggestive of guilty nervousness. "

To avoid being "furtive" one should then just carry the knife openly. Of course then they will fall victim to all the local regulation of knives such as Seattle where you can't carry a knife of ANY length. Pretty much covers most hunting knives and diver's knives that I've ever seen.

This could all be solved if the State added knives to preemption and went back to calling the CPL a "Concealed Weapons License". Can anyone there list the number of cities that "outlaw" knives over 3-1/2 inches and any with "fixed blades" such as Seattle?

Very Respectfully

Trigger Dr

While I obviously would prefer constitutional carry everywhere, I never did understand how I was allowed to have a loaded firearm under my coat but not a dagger, or brass knuckles, etc., depending on the silly rules of whatever jurisdiction I happened to be in.

The "powers to be" recognize that the possibility of a gun failing to fire is greater than the possibility of the blade falling off the knife. Therefore, the knife is more dangerous.
Both are extremes but we know how they try to think.

ManInBlack

The "powers to be" recognize that the possibility of a gun failing to fire is greater than the possibility of the blade falling off the knife. Therefore, the knife is more dangerous.
Both are extremes but we know how they try to think.

Very true.

1245A Defender

or,,,

just get rid of all references to cpls!
and any other words that address any objects that may be defined as dangerous or weapons!
replace all that crap with words that say,

carrying any thing you want, any way you want, any where you want, any time you want,
in defense of your self or any one else, is lawful.

also make crime, CRIMINAL!

only making this post to inflate my count, and see my total.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

just get rid of all references to cpls!
and any other words that address any objects that may be defined as dangerous or weapons!
replace all that crap with words that say,

carrying any thing you want, any way you want, any where you want, any time you want,
in defense of your self or any one else, is lawful.

also make crime, CRIMINAL!

only making this post to inflate my count, and see my total.

Exactly!!!!

It's not what you carry it is your actions that make you criminal.

Ruby

Ever notice that all of these laws and bills regarding guns and other weapons are proposed by people who more than likely don't own any?!?:banghead:

Aaron1124

So if they remove the terms "sword", "dagger" and "dirk", does that mean it will no longer be unlawful to "furtively carry" one of those? Or will they now all be lumped under the "knife" definition?

Tawnos

So if they remove the terms "sword", "dagger" and "dirk", does that mean it will no longer be unlawful to "furtively carry" one of those? Or will they now all be lumped under the "knife" definition?

Here's your knife back.

Sword.

Whatever.