• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA to NC

IYAOYAS

Ok so Im from the carolinas born and raised. I now live in San Diego due to the USMC. I have a few questions about NC law. 1 is it loaded or unloaded open carry? 2 what are the ID requirement I.e. Do I have to show ID if/when asked? And finally wht are the off-limits areas for OC'ing?

M

mattwestm

1.Loaded is the only way in NC. If it ain't loaded, it's just a brick. You don't need anything to OC, just be 18 years of age. 2.The ID request thing has nothing to do with firearms. You aren't required to present your ID to a LEO unless you are operating a vehicle. Since you aren't breaking any laws by OCing, they have no reason to ask for your ID. I'm sure some might try the "we'll leave you alone if you show us your ID" or "we just want to check if you are a felon" 3.You can OC anywhere except federally owned places, places charging admission for entry, and restaurants serving alcohol.

I'm sure you'll find the gun laws in NC much more lax than CA.

Edit: I'm sure someone else will chime in with the full list of off limit location of carry in NC.

Last edited: