• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at a school board meeting? (Amazing Video)

45acpForMe

Unsurprisingly when he faced armed resistence he ended his own life. There is a story on CNN's website that school board security shot him then he turned his own gun on himself. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/florida.meeting.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

So let me get this straight... School boards can have armed security to protect them but teachers, students and parents can't carry to protect themselves. Hmm, can't wait to see how anti's spin this one. I am sure they will try to use it against OC in Florida.

My only question is why didn't the armed security take the shot when he pointed the gun and not after he shot several rounds that either by design, or luck missed their targets.

Last edited:

eye95

I wonder how this would have gone differently if there had been an armed person in the crowd or if the lady who swung her purse at the gunman had a gun to shoot him instead.

To get the fullest picture check the video at this site too. I wish we had the whole thing. The video I cited has the sound of all the shots, but not the picture. The OP video has picture of the shots it covers, but misses about half the shots.

eye95

Fortunately, the gunman got his training by watching the way they handle guns on TV. That's the only reason there weren't a lot of dead guys behind the desk.

I posted a comment on the news site. It respectfully pointed out that the situation could've ended sooner if a member of the audience or the lady who attacked the gunman with a purse had carried a gun. The comment seems to have been moderated into oblivion. I guess they don't like to air both sides of the issue.

palerider116

People do not understand the force must be proportional or higher than the force used against them. A firearm requires a firearm. Pacifism may appear to be the way of the "enlightened", but dead is dead.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Who needs a gun at a school board meeting? At least one, as apparently they were all unarmed.

So let me get this straight... School boards can have armed security to protect them but teachers, students and parents can't carry to protect themselves. Hmm, can't wait to see how anti's spin this one.

That's about the size of it.

I am sure they will try to use it against OC in Florida.

No doubt, as if OC has anything at all to do with the concealed manner in which the perp carried the gun into the meeting.

My only question is why didn't the armed security take the shot when he pointed the gun and not after he shot several rounds that either by design, or luck missed their targets.

Don't know. Whether I was a former LEO or not, the moment the perp drew out his firearm, I'd have directed him to lay down his firearm and surrender. If he didn't...

One or more members of the board may have waived off the security guard, hoping to talk the perp down. He may also have remained outside the room, hoping not to escalate things by walking in wearing a firearm and in uniform. Regardless, the moment the perp pointed his gun directly at a member of the board, I'd have fired on him.

As for the perp missing his targets... It's stories like this which strengthen my belief in Divine Providence.

palerider116

Its not always necessary to challenge somebody when they present a threat. (Tennessee versus Garner, 1985). When the shooter drew a weapon, he posed an immediate threat to life. It was incumbent upon armed security to eliminate the threat immediately.

END_THE_FED

eye95

The craziest thing I saw was the lady swinging her purse at him. I can't even imagine what universe her mind was in, what....thinking she was going to knock him out.

I can't even wrap my mind around that stupidity. :banghead:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/florida.meeting.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

Her purse was the closest thing to arms she was allowed to carry. Had she been carrying something just a bit more effective, say a handgun, she'd have been more able to effectively take out the BG.

Nevada carrier

It looked like she was trying to knock the gun out of his hand. yeah not that smart.

While not smart, she was the only one brave enough to take a stand. She put her life on the line to do everything she could with the tools she was allowed to use. She is lucky to be alive for sure, but someone needs to take this to the Florida legislature and say "imagine how quickly the perpetrator could have been 'stopped' had she had more than a purse."

As easily as she snuck up on him to hit him with her purse, she could have gotten to within point blank range and put two in his head. Situation over.

Arm everyone! Bad guys are the minority, but they outnumber armed good guys. it's a matter of ratio and probability. No way the bad guys will survive if everyone is packing.

END_THE_FED

While not smart, she was the only one brave enough to take a stand. She put her life on the line to do everything she could with the tools she was allowed to use. She is lucky to be alive for sure, but someone needs to take this to the Florida legislature and say "imagine how quickly the perpetrator could have been 'stopped' had she had more than a purse."

As easily as she snuck up on him to hit him with her purse, she could have gotten to within point blank range and put two in his head. Situation over.

Arm everyone! Bad guys are the minority, but they outnumber armed good guys. it's a matter of ratio and probability. No way the bad guys will survive if everyone is packing.

Yes she is very brave indeed.

paramedic70002

Brave to confront the BG. Stupid in tactics. Sometimes it's better to retreat, especially when your best move is suicidal.

The school board should have posted "No guns" signs, That would have solved the problem!

eye95

Thanks. That version has everything leading up to the shooting, which was lacking from the other videos. However, there is a LOT more shooting that went on after this video stops. The CNN version has the audio of that but not the video.

The BG seems to be down at the end of this video, but a major gunfight continues after this point in time. Frankly, I wonder who was shooting at whom.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Its not always necessary to challenge somebody when they present a threat. (Tennessee versus Garner, 1985). When the shooter drew a weapon, he posed an immediate threat to life. It was incumbent upon armed security to eliminate the threat immediately.

I was thinking about this. I'm not so sure. Having only the Ability and Opportunity sides of the triad (Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy/Intent) doesn't seem to fulfill the requirements.

As far as I know, brandishing alone is insufficient.

Now, at the instant the gun is pointed (demonstrating intent), or a verbal threat was made (as it was part way into the event, if I recall) demonstrating intent, then all the elements are present.

After the gun was drawn, but prior to the threat that somebody was gonna get shot, the most I could see was the guard or board member drawing a weapon and demanding the brandisher drop it.