• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 carry

CDT COX

Tell your stories here! I'm hoping to get a handgun to OC for Christmas.

jeremy002

i have OC for the last 6 months and i am 19 the best advice i can give you is do not OC until you are familiar with the NC gun laws from front to back and know everything you can about gun safety it is a huge responsibility that isn't to be taken lightly :) and be prepared to have to educate sheeple and act friendly

Sc0tt

i have OC for the last 6 months and i am 19 the best advice i can give you is do not OC until you are familiar with the NC gun laws from front to back and know everything you can about gun safety it is a huge responsibility that isn't to be taken lightly :) and be prepared to have to educate sheeple and act friendly

+1

He's Right, Educate yourself its a huge responsibility.

North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person under the age of 18 to possess or carry a handgun.

elixin77

I believe Dreamer linked a PDF of the CHP booklet that instructors hand out for their classes - read that, memorize it, and ask questions here. While none of us is as smart as all of us, we should more than likely answer the questions you'll more than likely have.

Know what the provisions for GattTotP is - it saved me some hassle with the sheriff's office and my bank
Know where you can and can not carry - the handbook will specify where concealed carriers can't carry more than OC'ers - pay attention to those differences
And very importantly, know when you can and can not draw your firearm (let alone touch or make any move that suggests otherwise). We do not have a brandishing clause, and it can (and does) lead to trouble if you draw when your not supposed to

Stay safe

hckply04

i have had success and i am 18 but you better know everything and i would recommend getting a purchase permit from the sheriff to prove you can legaly own a gun.

B

bgreene89

Reply...What I would do is this

i have had success and i am 18 but you better know everything and i would recommend getting a purchase permit from the sheriff to prove you can legaly own a gun.

I agree 100 % , but good luck on getting them to do that because being a gun dealer I know we cant sell handguns to people under 21 years of age. Your going to have to prove to them that you can buy handguns from individuals, for example the bargain trader. I would print out the statue that says you can carry a handgun as long as you are not under the age of 18 (minor). Also find the statue that says gun dealers can't sell handguns to people under 21 yrs. of age and show them to the sheriff's office if they give you any run around ask for the sheriff himself! And explain to him you need it to buy a handgun from an individual or for information purposes so if you get stopped you will not be locked up.

Blake

hotrod08

I open carry under 21 (I also have a Pistol purchase permit issued by my sheriff).
Never really had any issues.
I was carrying one night at a gas station, As I was walking out, Two SHP was walking in, I held the door (Gun side visible) I know the younger Trooper (Not sure about the other trooper) seen the weapon, And nothing was said.

The store I was in
http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQnwIwAA

CDT COX

1225000904.jpg

^^ hope the pic works. Got this bad boy from Santa this morning. She shoots like a dream. Going to get a purchase permit Monday so I can buy it from my dad. Anyone carry a pk380? Need suggestion on a good holster.

Last edited: