• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is a perfect example of why we need to be able to protect ourselves at all times

eye95

i'm wondering why no one has brought this up yet:

in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omv2pgKhzXM when the SG was explaining how he was engaging the BG...he was laying down behind the seats firing reckless shots at the BG with the board members right behind him...they are lucky the SG didn't shoot them...

I brought it up in another thread, maybe on ALOC.

Some antis and LEOs don't want us to carry because they think we are not sufficiently trained. At least I am trained to identify and aim at my target, rather than shoot blindly in the general direction of the threat.

There is a lot more shooting that goes on after the perp goes down. No one has posted the video, but I have heard the audio. With the number of shots exchanged between the BG and the SG, it is an absolute miracle that the SG did not hit one of the board members!

Ivan Sample

i'm wondering why no one has brought this up yet:

in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omv2pgKhzXM when the SG was explaining how he was engaging the BG...he was laying down behind the seats firing reckless shots at the BG with the board members right behind him...they are lucky the SG didn't shoot them...

and SECOND- i would NOT have waited for that BG to point his gun. as SOON as he was focused on the school board and not me, i would have came in and shot him in the head. the school board OBVIOUSLY would be able to see me point my gun and they would duck out of the way. everyone is lucky not only the BG didn't shoot them, but the SG as well.

+1

MKEgal

eye95 said:
With the number of shots exchanged between the BG and the SG, it is an absolute miracle that the SG did not hit one of the board members!

Maybe the front of the desk they were hiding behind was laced with Kevlar?

When I first saw that video on the news, I thought "why didn't she just shoot him?!" (Also thought how incredibly brave and stupid her actions were.)

Then I found out that FL prohibits law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves at meetings of government bodies, including school boards. She could have stopped the threat with one shot - he didn't know she was sneaking up behind him - and he'd never have fired at anyone else. ::shaking head::

eye95

Maybe the front of the desk they were hiding behind was laced with Kevlar?

When I first saw that video on the news, I thought "why didn't she just shoot him?!" (Also thought how incredibly brave and stupid her actions were.)

Then I found out that FL prohibits law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves at meetings of government bodies, including school boards. She could have stopped the threat with one shot - he didn't know she was sneaking up behind him - and he'd never have fired at anyone else. ::shaking head::

I understand that the Florida legislature is considering, as a result of this incident, new laws designed to protect the public. A permit will now be required to carry a purse concealed. Open carry of purses will be prohibited.

The bill is called "Ginger's Law."

Ivan Sample

No matter how we look at it, it was tragic for this thing to happen. It really shows you how the economy is going for a man to walk into a meeting with a gun and start shooting at board members because his wife was fired. He lost his life but also could have taken the lives of others. Plus doing the holidays which is the most stressful time of the year. I don't condone what this man did, I just wish he would have use his brain a little bit. So now he is dead and his wife is still with out job plus the loss of her husband. Sad situation all over!

eye95

The responsibility lies solely with the perp. Either he had lost touch with reality or he is evil, considering his anger more important than the lives of others. Many of us are feeling the sting of this lousy economy, yet we still value life enough not to do what this "man" did.

If has truly lost touch with reality, he has my sympathy. However, he does not strike me as one who has conversations with his dog.

kubel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACgmh5gIfuM&feature=related

Notice the woman armed with a purse was not labeled as the hero in this story (even though she was very brave to take on the bad guy). The hero was a good guy with a gun.

A few lessons that the media would never tell us:
-The law prevented this felon from having a gun, but it didn't stop him.
-Guns in the hands of good people save lives... not so sure about purses in the hands of good people...

Ivan Sample

The responsibility lies solely with the perp. Either he had lost touch with reality or he is evil, considering his anger more important than the lives of others. Many of us are feeling the sting of this lousy economy, yet we still value life enough not to do what this "man" did.

If has truly lost touch with reality, he has my sympathy. However, he does not strike me as one who has conversations with his dog.

I agree with your statement! But with anyone loses their lives wheather its their fault or not is still tragic because the families suffer not matter what. Even if I have to defend myself or family, I will still have sympathy and be a upset with them them because they put me in this predictment. I call it compassion and I know many folks don't think that I have that but I do.

Last edited:

jrob33

I noticed the exchange of gunfire with civillians in the immediate backdrop too...I realize hind sight is 20-20, but my first thought was that the Security officer should have moved to his the officers) right in an attempt to minimize the crossfire.

it worked out the way it was supposed to, but food for thought..