• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Christmas in Pugetopia!!!

Freedom First

Yippee! We're visiting the In-laws in Everett for the entire week from Christmas through New Years. And I, old Mr. Romantic, am taking my dear Wife out for a dazzling trip to an indoor range, sans kids! Maybe a bit of gun shopping too!

I need some help from you fine soggysiders, where is there a clean and friendly range in the North Sound area? Sam's is close to the In-law's house but I've never been there...

Suggestions?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yippee! We're visiting the In-laws in Everett for the entire week from Christmas through New Years. And I, old Mr. Romantic, am taking my dear Wife out for a dazzling trip to an indoor range, sans kids! Maybe a bit of gun shopping too!

I need some help from you fine soggysiders, where is there a clean and friendly range in the North Sound area? Sam's is close to the In-law's house but I've never been there...

Suggestions?

Nope. None.

Please stop by my place to turn all your guns in while on the Wet side.....:monkey

amlevin

If your close to Sam's, go there. It's a good place to shoot. Used to shoot there once a week. The rangemasters there don't bug you too much unless you start shooting out their lights or shooting up the target hangers. Rapid fire is OK but no drawing from holster and you have to be a "member" to shoot rifles. Beats spending extra gas money for pretty much the same facility farther away.

Also near Everett is the Norpoint range. Located just west of Highway 9 on 172 NE. Take I-5 north to the smokey point exit (172nd) and go east. Cross the railroad tracks, go up the hill, and they're on the right about 100 yards from Highway 9 (the traffic light). For a small "upcharge" you can also shoot AR-15's and AK-47's but 762x39 is the max so no hunting rifles. Ammo can't have any steel core or jacket. The rangemaster will check your ammo with a magnet before you are allowed to shoot it.

Both have rentals and of course it's "their ammo only" for rental guns.

If you have any hunting rifles to shoot, Everett Sportsman on Ebey Island (Homeacres road) and the Kenmore Range (228th SW west of 405) have 100 yard ranges available. Everett Sportsman is open Friday, Sat, Sun only) and Kenmore is open every day. Public hours are noon-dusk on weekdays and earlier on Sat/Sun.

Both sites have websites for more info and directions.

Dain Bramage

Just a minor note: Sam's no longer allows rapid fire. It's part of their "1 new rule per quarter". Each one diminishes their range service until we are only left with rubber band guns.

joeroket

I only use Norpoint for my indoor shooting and have to say they are by far the best anf friendliest gun store/range employees I have run into yet. They do not have their flyer/prices back up on the site but you can fire up to .308 for a $35.00 range fee. .223 and 7.62x39 are a $20.00 fee. Ladies night is on Mondays. To add the the list of restricted ammo that amlevin posted you cannot fire steel shot or non-jacketed lead rounds.

http://www.Norpointrange.com

FMCDH

Just a minor note: Sam's no longer allows rapid fire. It's part of their "1 new rule per quarter". Each one diminishes their range service until we are only left with rubber band guns.

Another note on Sam's is that their range is not temperature controlled. Their air handling system circulates the air directly from the outside, so whatever temperature it is outside, its the same inside.

During the winter their lanes can be FRIGID cold, so be sure to pick a day that is above 45+F or your wife and you may be miserable the entire time. They have space heaters just above the lanes, but they don't help much beyond warming you hands once in a while.

(I'm sorry to hear they don't allow rapid fire anymore...sigh)

That said...

Shooting Sports Northwest (a subsidiary of DGS) is in Bothell and they are a very very nice indoor range, temperature controlled, clean, and a good selection of rentals.

They are a "members" only club, so expect to pay $55 minimum at the outset per person for your first visit. (1 year membership) Bring your own ammo, glasses and muffs, (but especially ammo) as they charge exorbitant fees for everything. Range time is electronically controlled in 1 hour increments.

If you rent guns, they insist you use range purchased ammo only, even if its their in-house reloads.

Also, they only allow brass or steel cased ammunition (they reload it and resell it) and last I heard you can pick up YOUR OWN casings, but only if they fall behind the firing line. Absolutely no alum cased ammo, they WILL kick you out, I have seen it happen twice in 2 years. (they really hate sorting it I guess) :(

Drawing from a holster and rapid fire is allowed with a 10 minute in-house certification that's attached to your membership record. Rapid fire seems to be defined (there is no written policy) as 2 or 3 quick, well aimed shots. Mag dumps are no longer allowed, as too many people were shooting the floor and ceiling.

You can get more details and contact info online, or PM me if you have a question their website (or range guys) don't answer.

MrGray

No suggestions that haven't already been made.

Seems like maybe Norpoint would be the closest, and that's a pretty nice range.

If you're willing to head south, the West Coast Armory/Bellevue Gun Club range is right off 405, and it's the nicest range I've used.

Freedom First

Got money? Nope, I've got 4 kids!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably save the gas and annoyance of fighting the lovely traffic and go to Sam's. Just going to blow a few boxes of ammo and dirty up the Taurus.

Merry Christmas!

since9

Campaign Veteran
If your close to Sam's, go there. It's a good place to shoot. Used to shoot there once a week. The rangemasters there don't bug you too much unless you start shooting out their lights or shooting up the target hangers.

Lol, should anyone start shooting out the lights, they might be smart to expect someone else to do the same to them...

Just common sense.

Rapid fire is OK but no drawing from holster...

I'm sorry, but what the hell else are we supposed to draw from? Our waistband? How about our jacket pockets? Tell you what - let's declare this range wide open for criminal carry use only, as it appears most, if not all forms of carry usually employed by law-abiding citizens is off-limits.

Both have rentals and of course it's "their ammo only" for rental guns.

That's fair enough. I'd expect nothing less.

amlevin

I'm sorry, but what the hell else are we supposed to draw from? Our waistband? How about our jacket pockets? Tell you what - let's declare this range wide open for criminal carry use only, as it appears most, if not all forms of carry usually employed by law-abiding citizens is off-limits.

Most ranges here don't allow "public shooters" to draw and fire. Members at some facilities, after a "Safety Indoctrination and extra fee" are allowed to do so. Far too many "Joe Public" shooters have had accidents. Some couldn't grasp the concept of a) not pulling the trigger until you had the gun pointed at the target; b) keeping their finger off the trigger when re-holstering.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with this. It would be just fine if these "bozo's" were inside a bullet proof booth but when they fire a round into a concrete floor anyone standing nearby is at risk from the shrapnel.

Whenever I go to a public range I just shake my head when I look at all the bullet holes in the lane separating partitions, shooting table, ceiling, and yes, even the back windows in some cases. Makes one feel real safe (not).

Lucky_Dog

One must be a member, but there is no extra fee above the membership cost to draw from the holster at Wades in Bellevue.

Last edited: