Thread: Visiting Houston from Virginia

Visiting Houston from Virginia

Hey all,

Been reading up on your local forum a bit, and I wish you all the best of luck in getting your freedoms back in this great state. In Virginia we enjoy open carry, and concealed carry (permit process which Texas has reciprocity).
    While here for the next few weeks, I'll be sure to keep my little friend covered... I don't want to be the face / name to the case law that defines 'traveling' (ha!)

Any suggestions on good gun stores in Houston to check out? How about food (not any chains, but good Mom and Pop tyoe places that blow your taste buds out) ?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Houston is a pretty big place, so it depends on what part of town you'd be in. I haven't spent much time there in years, so I really don't remember any good eatin' places. Just be careful there.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Howdy Walt! Welcome to town. Two stores I like are; Fountain Firearms on Hwy 6 at Bissonett, good all around guys, owned by 2 brothers and their mom (dad passed a few yrs ago) and Collector's Firearms on Richmond at Fondren, great selection but a little on the high side.
    Also, if you're looking to bust a few caps there's several places to shoot. Every weekend has some sort of IDPA or IPSC match.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Check out Pruitt's if you get up north. Use to be half of Stevens and Pruitt on KLOL on the morning drive show.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Like the others said... you'll have to specify what part of town you'll be in, since it's such a big place. I can turn you on to lots of good non-corporate restaurants inside the loop.

Collector's and Fountain are both good gun shops to go admire their collection, but the prices aren't anything to write home about. If there's a gunshow in town that weekend at the George R Brown convention center or Reliant, you might take a look.

Thanks all... I'm in Copperfield? I went with my brother this morning and shot at TopGun. Was interesting. Ranges in VA do not restrict you from practicing drawing your gun from the holster... this one did. I also noticed a sign in the showroom that says that your gun must be concealed at all times. I really hope the next time I visit Texas you all will have restored your freedoms.. its kinda awkward having to always keep making sure my G19 is always hidden.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    I also noticed a sign in the showroom that says that your gun must be concealed at all times.
    Should have asked if you needed to drape a towel over it while you practice.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    Should have asked if you needed to drape a towel over it while you practice.
    hahahaha!
    -- George Washington

Walt..TopGun has had 'issues' with some folks drawing from the holster; just don't ask them about the fire they had a while back! If you're going to still be here over the New Years holiday too, I'd like to extend an invite to the WHIDPA monthly match on Sat the 1st. See www.whidpa.com for info/direction.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    Walt..TopGun has had 'issues' with some folks drawing from the holster; just don't ask them about the fire they had a while back! If you're going to still be here over the New Years holiday too, I'd like to extend an invite to the WHIDPA monthly match on Sat the 1st. See www.whidpa.com for info/direction.
    Thanks for the invite. I enjoy shooting IDPA, however I'll be heading back to VA the day after Christmas.
    -- George Washington