• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Houston from Virginia

Walt_Kowalski

Hey all,

Been reading up on your local forum a bit, and I wish you all the best of luck in getting your freedoms back in this great state. In Virginia we enjoy open carry, and concealed carry (permit process which Texas has reciprocity).
While here for the next few weeks, I'll be sure to keep my little friend covered... I don't want to be the face / name to the case law that defines 'traveling' (ha!)

Any suggestions on good gun stores in Houston to check out? How about food (not any chains, but good Mom and Pop tyoe places that blow your taste buds out) ?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Houston is a pretty big place, so it depends on what part of town you'd be in. I haven't spent much time there in years, so I really don't remember any good eatin' places. Just be careful there.

mark-in-texas

Howdy Walt! Welcome to town. Two stores I like are; Fountain Firearms on Hwy 6 at Bissonett, good all around guys, owned by 2 brothers and their mom (dad passed a few yrs ago) and Collector's Firearms on Richmond at Fondren, great selection but a little on the high side.
Also, if you're looking to bust a few caps:monkey there's several places to shoot. Every weekend has some sort of IDPA or IPSC match.

rhenriksen

Like the others said... you'll have to specify what part of town you'll be in, since it's such a big place. I can turn you on to lots of good non-corporate restaurants inside the loop.

Collector's and Fountain are both good gun shops to go admire their collection, but the prices aren't anything to write home about. If there's a gunshow in town that weekend at the George R Brown convention center or Reliant, you might take a look.

Walt_Kowalski

Thanks all... I'm in Copperfield? I went with my brother this morning and shot at TopGun. Was interesting. Ranges in VA do not restrict you from practicing drawing your gun from the holster... this one did. I also noticed a sign in the showroom that says that your gun must be concealed at all times. I really hope the next time I visit Texas you all will have restored your freedoms.. its kinda awkward having to always keep making sure my G19 is always hidden.

mark-in-texas

Walt..TopGun has had 'issues' with some folks drawing from the holster; just don't ask them about the fire they had a while back!:lol: If you're going to still be here over the New Years holiday too, I'd like to extend an invite to the WHIDPA monthly match on Sat the 1st. See www.whidpa.com for info/direction.

Walt_Kowalski

Walt..TopGun has had 'issues' with some folks drawing from the holster; just don't ask them about the fire they had a while back!:lol: If you're going to still be here over the New Years holiday too, I'd like to extend an invite to the WHIDPA monthly match on Sat the 1st. See www.whidpa.com for info/direction.

Thanks for the invite. I enjoy shooting IDPA, however I'll be heading back to VA the day after Christmas.