Thread: OT: Importing war relic and antique firearms into the country

OT: Importing war relic and antique firearms into the country

Ok.... So I'm out here in Afghanistan and we are training the Afghanistan National Police (ANP). I get a quick glance under the coat of one of the ANP officers and I am stunned at what I think I see. I asked to see his sidearm and he pulls out a 1918 Luger. It's in pretty bad shape but it functions well and is just plain cool. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said make him an offer. Before I do, I want to make sure I can get it into the US. Does anybody have any idea how to get it past customs?......Pics of the gun to come soon

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

wow!

IANAL

ship it to your self, at a neutral address.
    with no descriptions, and orders that it not be opened.

such a cool deal, carefully pursue this.
    i wanna know how many $s
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    IANAL

ship it to your self, at a neutral address.
    with no descriptions, and orders that it not be opened.

such a cool deal, carefully pursue this.
    i wanna know how many $s
    Not for importing. The form I posted, Form 6 II, is for importation by US armed forces members. Form 6 is for everyone else.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Just keep in mind you will need at least 60 days to get this approved. Approval is not difficult. I imported 3 firearms from Germany when I rotated back tot he states a long time ago. It's not a big deal to get it done.

Nice score if you can get it for a good price.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

A Tip

Start early. The "form" is merely an application for a "permit" to import the weapon. May take a while to process. Also, are you military or a contractor. If military you might need unit commander permission. If a contractor there may be other hurdles such as involving a "Dealer".

Good luck.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Here it is....after a little research on gunbroker, I think I am going to pass this one up. I can get a pretty nice one for about $1300. Still cool though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afgh 021.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	4795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afgh 022.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	4796  

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Start early. The "form" is merely an application for a "permit" to import the weapon. May take a while to process. Also, are you military or a contractor. If military you might need unit commander permission. If a contractor there may be other hurdles such as involving a "Dealer".

Good luck.
    That is correct. Form 6, the one for civilians, requires that the transfer be processed through a dealer after the approval for import has been issued.

I am sad,,,

the thought of a real war relic was intriguing to me.
    any body can find an old gun on gun brokers, and pay the going price..
    but getting an old german p-08 luger form a guy in Afghanistan, thats a special thing!
    how much would it take to get it from him?
    is the american money system so imbued in the middle east that
    they want the same money there, as we charge here?

that just nuts....

i can handle the truth, i want answers, just who do they think they are?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Old war relics....

A few years ago it was summer and I was going through some garage sales. My dad's birthday is in August but I had yet to find him anything....

then I came upon an old wood stock....some duct tape holding some things together....

I looked it over a bit and realized I was looking at an old Arisaka Type 99 rifle. I looked up at the gentleman doing the garage sale and asked him where he found this gun and how much he wanted for it.

His response, which I will never forget "I pulled it out of some damn Jap hole in the Pacific." Along with that statement and his age, I realized this was an actual war trophy from WWII. All the numbers on the gun matched (which was rare for an actual battle gun), the wood was in good shape and there was no rust on the steel. He stated he wanted $50 for it. No need to insult this veteran, so I gave him $50 and was on my way. I now had my dad's birthday gift. I cleaned it up, took it apart and put it back together, it was in remarkable shape.

Needless to say, my dad loved this gift and the short story behind where it came from....
    Live Free or Die!

Gun

Don't risk your military career, I've known a couple of people who have tried and they were fried.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

How much did the guy want for the weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    I imported 3 firearms from Germany when I rotated back tot he states a long time ago.
    A long time ago was a long time ago.

War trophy imports are still legal under federal law, but currently they're absolutely prohibited under DoD regulations and State Department rules.

Sorry. Your government sucks.