• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Importing war relic and antique firearms into the country

sempercarry

Ok.... So I'm out here in Afghanistan and we are training the Afghanistan National Police (ANP). I get a quick glance under the coat of one of the ANP officers and I am stunned at what I think I see. I asked to see his sidearm and he pulls out a 1918 Luger. It's in pretty bad shape but it functions well and is just plain cool. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said make him an offer. Before I do, I want to make sure I can get it into the US. Does anybody have any idea how to get it past customs?......Pics of the gun to come soon

j2l3

Just keep in mind you will need at least 60 days to get this approved. Approval is not difficult. I imported 3 firearms from Germany when I rotated back tot he states a long time ago. It's not a big deal to get it done.

Nice score if you can get it for a good price.

amlevin

A Tip

Start early. The "form" is merely an application for a "permit" to import the weapon. May take a while to process. Also, are you military or a contractor. If military you might need unit commander permission. If a contractor there may be other hurdles such as involving a "Dealer".

Good luck.

sempercarry

Here it is....after a little research on gunbroker, I think I am going to pass this one up. I can get a pretty nice one for about $1300. Still cool though.

Attachments

• afgh 021.jpg
    afgh 021.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 166
  • afgh 022.jpg
    afgh 022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 157

joeroket

Start early. The "form" is merely an application for a "permit" to import the weapon. May take a while to process. Also, are you military or a contractor. If military you might need unit commander permission. If a contractor there may be other hurdles such as involving a "Dealer".

Good luck.

That is correct. Form 6, the one for civilians, requires that the transfer be processed through a dealer after the approval for import has been issued.

1245A Defender

I am sad,,,

the thought of a real war relic was intriguing to me.
any body can find an old gun on gun brokers, and pay the going price..
but getting an old german p-08 luger form a guy in Afghanistan, thats a special thing!
how much would it take to get it from him?
is the american money system so imbued in the middle east that
they want the same money there, as we charge here?

that just nuts....

i can handle the truth, i want answers, just who do they think they are?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Old war relics....

A few years ago it was summer and I was going through some garage sales. My dad's birthday is in August but I had yet to find him anything....

then I came upon an old wood stock....some duct tape holding some things together....

I looked it over a bit and realized I was looking at an old Arisaka Type 99 rifle. I looked up at the gentleman doing the garage sale and asked him where he found this gun and how much he wanted for it.

His response, which I will never forget "I pulled it out of some damn Jap hole in the Pacific." Along with that statement and his age, I realized this was an actual war trophy from WWII. All the numbers on the gun matched (which was rare for an actual battle gun), the wood was in good shape and there was no rust on the steel. He stated he wanted $50 for it. No need to insult this veteran, so I gave him $50 and was on my way. I now had my dad's birthday gift. I cleaned it up, took it apart and put it back together, it was in remarkable shape.

Needless to say, my dad loved this gift and the short story behind where it came from....

KBCraig

I imported 3 firearms from Germany when I rotated back tot he states a long time ago.
A long time ago was a long time ago.

War trophy imports are still legal under federal law, but currently they're absolutely prohibited under DoD regulations and State Department rules.

Sorry. Your government sucks.