Thread: Do we have anything like a "stop and identify" law?

Question Do we have anything like a "stop and identify" law?

I'm perusing the MS Code for any laws specifying how you must identify yourself to a police officer during a "Terry stop". I have read cites in other threads that some states only require you to verbally identify yourself by your name and address, and that you are not required to have any sort of state-issued ID on your person.

The only relevant statute I can find is §45-9-101, which requires a person carrying a concealed weapon in accordance with their state-issued license to carry the license and "valid identification":
    (b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.
    However, so far I have not found any requirements for ID when NOT carrying a concealed weapon with the state-issued license. Has anyone else come across a requirement?

Mississippi is not one of the states generally known as a "Stop and Identify" state.
    No identification is required to be carried unless one is performing a licensed activity. e.g., driving, cutting hair, etc.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 12-17-2010 at 06:08 PM.

No.

just the CPL. We really need to get those 3 words struck from the law: "or in part".

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    just the CPL. We really need to get those 3 words struck from the law: "or in part".
    45-9-101 requires a "valid identification" in addition to the CPL, when carrying a concealed weapon.

And yeah, we (collectively) need to get 97-37-1 straightened out. I'd like to start investigating our options and try to get the ball rolling, but I have a house and a one-month-old daughter that suck up all of my free time.