• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scenario type question

jeremy05

Would like to get other opinions on how you guys might handle this situation.

You are in the desert walking along the top of a Wash " a deep trench made from flowing water, but dried up" a drug mule sees you from inside the wash and hops out. He fires a round at you from about 10 feet away and misses then runs away. He runs South, you are one mile from the border.

Backup is 15-30min away. Radio Works fine, Nice sunny day. You have your M-4 with you also.

Area: Lots of stuff for Cover and Concealment, for both you and him

If you shoot, explain the reasoning why. There are plenty of good reasons you can shoot, im always looking for other views of such a scene.

This is just for fun don't take it to seriously

Bailenforcer

because I am always in Condition orange to red from life experiences the second he drew I would have opened fire and I don't miss.

Would like to get other opinions on how you guys might handle this situation.

You are in the desert walking along the top of a Wash " a deep trench made from flowing water, but dried up" a drug mule sees you from inside the wash and hops out. He fires a round at you from about 10 feet away and misses then runs away. He runs South, you are one mile from the border.

Backup is 15-30min away. Radio Works fine, Nice sunny day. You have your M-4 with you also.

Area: Lots of stuff for Cover and Concealment, for both you and him

If you shoot, explain the reasoning why. There are plenty of good reasons you can shoot, im always looking for other views of such a scene.

This is just for fun don't take it to seriously

Bailenforcer

Well we have a few things here.

1. known drug corridor with armed thugs who just killed a Border patrol agent if you watched the news today.

2. Mexican border territory where decades of murders have happened and many unsolved.

3. Literally a border war is in progress with thousands dead.

yea those alone would have my M-4 in ready state and me in condition red. Him going for his gun and even if it was unseen would have me ready to squeeze off several into him before he could even get the gun out fully.

He doesnt have to be a drug mule, Id shoot back at any jackass that popped at me and missed.

TheQ

If he gets away his backup may arrive before yours. Do you have a vehicle near by or any means to flea?

RenegadeMarine

In this scenario, you are going to have to explain why you shot a fleeing man in the back. Unless, maybe you give chase until he attempts to fire at you again, then put him down.

CenTex

Since this is just for fun, I would make a trade. I would give him all my firearms in return for his firearm and machete and then ask him where the nearest Taco Bell was. While we go there, we can talk about what Mexican food he likes best and where are the best places to eat just across the border. If he doesn't like the trade of weapons, we can play poker and the winner gets to keep all the weapons. The other one gets to run just as fast as he can. End of game...end of this foolishness.

Last edited:

kryptonian

i saw a news story a couple of months ago where texas border sheriff's were encouraging residents of their counties to arm themselves against drug and people trafficers (coyotes) because they only have a few deputies to cover huge amounts of jurisdiction. they said it would be at least an hour for them to get there after you call 9-1-1. they also hinted that these self defense shootings against these illegals would be quickly cleared. by the way texas law allows for deadly force for fleeing after the crime.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Regarding the OP.

If he fires a single round and runs, why would anybody in this thread be shooting at someone who is no longer a threat?

Did the "shoot" respondents in this thread simply forget the common law on self-defense? Never learned it? Don't care?

DetroitBiker

Regarding the OP.

If he fires a single round and runs, why would anybody in this thread be shooting at someone who is no longer a threat?

Did the "shoot" respondents in this thread simply forget the common law on self-defense? Never learned it? Don't care?
Just because he runs does not mean the gunfight is over,or that the threat is over.
Why wait for them to take a better position ,or better cover. If I still felt threatened in any way, then GAME ON.

Bailenforcer

The better question is, did you even read those posts? Mine was pretty clear, maybe you need glasses?

Unlike you I am not a bleeding heart. Once a man shows intent to take my life I am going to remove that threat PERIOD! I am not giving any piece of trash a second chance to kill me. The common law? If you are actually talking about "common Law" it is clear that once attacked you have the supreme right to defend your life, and allowing him to get a better shooting position is not very tactical. if you are going to run off about common Law I suggest you study up on it and find out where and what it was based on. See my signature for a hint.

You might want to ask those Border Patrol agents what kind of threat he might be.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20101215-wpms

Regarding the OP.

Last edited:

jeremy05

Ok was waiting for a You cant shoot the guy in the back responses. From what Ive seen is most shooting the bad guy is shoot in the back. Most BGs who shoot, tend to fire a couple and run. In the one second it takes to draw and fire, most peoples minds are made up as to their next actions.
In a high stress situation like that people know to draw and shoot back, this happens so fast, coupled with tunnel vision they dont even notice that the guy had turned around until after they shot back.

My Answer. Shoot him until he is no longer a threat. In my opinion he is not Running away, he is running for cover so he can clear a jam or shoot at me from a better position.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As I read the OP, I got the impression (mainly from the "Backup is 15-30min away. Radio Works fine, Nice sunny day. You have your M-4 with you also") that the OP is some sort of LEO.

If he's not LEO, he has to play by the rules of self defense, which includes that a fleeing person is no longer an imminent threat so shooting is not an option.

Was I the only one to notice the sounds-like-he's-a-LEO details?

stay safe.

PDinDetroit

As I read the OP, I got the impression (mainly from the "Backup is 15-30min away. Radio Works fine, Nice sunny day. You have your M-4 with you also") that the OP is some sort of LEO.

If he's not LEO, he has to play by the rules of self defense, which includes that a fleeing person is no longer an imminent threat so shooting is not an option.

Was I the only one to notice the sounds-like-he's-a-LEO details?

stay safe.

Nope, jeremy05 is BP, been around here and known as such.

Nice to see you posting here skidmark, hope all goes well on January 4th...

Last edited: