• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apartment Manager: No guns in your private car off-campus.

AFPVet

This just makes me that much more fortunate to live in Indiana. It is not illegal to carry on campus or property... you just get kicked out if your caught. All of the campus security (non police) are even armed lol.

I do not know NC's law's unfortunately, so I cannot be of much assistance. It sounds like—as long as your are parked outside of the college property, you should be fine... unless the property you are parking on forbids it.

Rick H

About your 4th amendment and the way to piss off LEO

Even though this is New Hamp. you should listen to this and this will help you understand what to say to LEO when they want to search you and it is the way it really is and if they infringe on your right sue the dumb @#%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv5qfuXmKQ

there are a ton of these Vid in all states you just need to look for them also you should keep a recorder on you and use it for circumstances like these.also you might want to look up free staters vids as well there are some funny ones like these ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFS7oZtE8Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1e7EBze6ho

Last edited:

TrailRunner

If you're going to leave your firearm in your vehicle for extended periods of time, I would suggest some sort of locking case for it. It should be stored somewhere that, in case your car is broken into, a common thief won't be looking. Perhaps in the wheel storage area of your trunk, underneath the board and carpet? Just keep in mind to store it unloaded and keep the ammo in a separate area so that it meets the criteria for transporting, and put the case so that it's plainly visible in your trunk when driving in case of a police search.

I have no idea if it is legal to have ammo in your dorm on campus, so I'd look that one up.

Last edited:

JDriver1.8t

I don't have the statute, but it was posted on here a while ago.
It said that having a loaded gun on campus was a felony, while an unloaded gun was a misdemeanor.
I never advocate breaking any laws, but it is something to remember.

TrailRunner

Before I start in, let me state I do wish I had the right to OC/CC on campus, but that's not the way the current laws are written.

I don't have the statute, but it was posted on here a while ago.
It said that having a loaded gun on campus was a felony, while an unloaded gun was a misdemeanor.
I never advocate breaking any laws, but it is something to remember.

That's not exactly what it says. Here's the section that applies to this particular instance. You can find the rest of it at http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/div/hp/2006firearmspublication.pdf

It is a misdemeanor, rather than a Class I felony, for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind, on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school if:

(1) The person is not a student attending school on the educational property or
an employee employed by the school working on the educational property; and

(2) The person is not a student attending a curricular or extracurricular activity
sponsored by the school at which the student is enrolled or an employee
attending a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by the school at
which the employee is employed; and

(3) The firearm is not loaded, is in a motor vehicle, and is in a locked container
or a locked firearm rack.

The aforementioned prohibitions will not apply to:

(1) A weapon used solely for educational or school sanctioned ceremonial
purposes, or used in a school approved program conducted under the
supervision of an adult whose supervision has been approved by the school
authority;19

(2) Fire fighters, emergency service personnel, North Carolina Forest Service
personnel, and any private police employed by an educational institution,
when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Those persons exempted by G.S. § 14-269(b), as set forth in paragraph III.
A. of this publication; or

(4) Home schools.

No person is guilty of a criminal violation of this section so long as both of the
following apply:

(1) The person comes into possession of a weapon by taking or receiving the
weapon from another person or by finding the weapon.; and

(2) The person delivers the weapon, directly or indirectly, as soon as practical to
law enforcement authorities.

A concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon on any school
grounds.

All of those "and" 's link those 3 terms together into mutual clauses. You have to meet all three conditions in order to make possessing a firearm on a NC campus a misdemeanor. It also specifically states that the firearm must be unloaded, in a locked container, and inside some sort of vehicle. Otherwise: Felony.

Regardless, I do not advocate attempting this. It is unlawful (ranging from a felony to a misdemeanor) to carry any sort of "weapon" on to a NC campus, as written in the law.

If you want to carry something to protect yourself on campus, do what I do: Get a Klean Kanteen 1L (40oz) wide mouth bottle, and put enough paracord on the lid (with a grip) to give you an extra foot of reach. It's not a handgun by any means, but it's perfectly legal to carry. Imagine swinging a three pound weight with wicked leverage... It should be enough to knock a grown man down so you can get away.

JDriver1.8t

^thanks for the research and repost.

At NCSU, they had a 5'' blade length restriction while I was there.
I believe they have changed that to 3.5'' in the student guidelines and student code of conduct book.
When I asked our LEO on campus about this they said that though state law says no weapons on educational grounds, our knifes are tools, not weapons. May check on your school's policies.

TrailRunner

^thanks for the research and repost.

At NCSU, they had a 5'' blade length restriction while I was there.
I believe they have changed that to 3.5'' in the student guidelines and student code of conduct book.
When I asked our LEO on campus about this they said that though state law says no weapons on educational grounds, our knifes are tools, not weapons. May check on your school's policies.

You're welcome! UNCG follows NC Law in this regard, and there is only one (1) loop hole that I know of, which is right here.. (bold added for emphasis)

North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2(d)
It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or
concealed, any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, leaded
cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), firework, or any sharp-pointed or edged instrument except instructional
supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction,
and maintenance, on educational property.

In this case, if you are an employee or teacher for the campus and you can show that whatever knife you bring, i.e. multi-tool, has a valid instructional or repair purpose then you are good to go. Since I'm a TA I *can* bring a multi-tool (think a Leatherman or a SAK), and I do.

Last edited:

cmlewis184

Legislative Change

This is the email I sent to my representatives
Larry Womble - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/membersByDistrict.pl?sChamber=H&nDistrict=71
Linda Garrou - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/membersByDistrict.pl?sChamber=S&nDistrict=32

-------------------------------------
Representative Larry Womble:

I live in the 71st district, and I am a voting constituent of yours. I would like to thank you for your service to North Carolina as a representative and ask that you would kindly consider my recommendations for legislative change. Let me tell you a little bit about myself; I work in the Information Technology field and I am a staff member at a Baptist college in Winston-Salem. I do not make a lot of money so I was ecstatic when I was offered the opportunity to move into graduate student apartments (despite not being a student). That being said, this is a perfect living situation for me, except that I am a concealed handgun permit holder and I carry a gun for self-protection. GS14-269.2 prevents me from even keeping an unloaded firearm in my car, let alone in my apartment because it is located on school property. US supreme court case law after District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago has clearly stated that it is the right of every US citizen to keep arms in their home. Since GS14-269.2 statutorily prohibits me from doing so, this law is infringing upon my constitutional rights.

I am a law-abiding citizen, so the only legal way for me to store my firearm is off-campus and inside my vehicle. This is a problem because there have been many vehicles that have been burglarized on the same street that I am required to park. It is unwise for me to keep a gun in my car parked in a crime-riddled area of the city, which is why I implore you to make changes to GS14-269.2 to allow me to keep arms in my domicile.
--------------------------------------

They're both dems so I'm expecting this to be deleted as soon as they read the word "gun" and see that it's not followed by the word "control".