Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Upset restaurant owner about OCing

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21

    Upset restaurant owner about OCing

    Heys guys so I have a little story to share about one of my OCing experiences I had last week and today. I went into a restaurant called Flap Jacks in Tres Pinos Ca. Its a tiny family owned place in a tiny little town next to Hollister which is also a tiny town. Well to make a long story short I went in to have lunch a week ago while OCing with no issues(so I thought). Later that week my good friend and boss Steve told me the owner of Flap Jacked called him and told him she didn't like that I was OCing in her restaurant and if I did again she would call the cops. Well Steve didnt get mad he actually asked for some info on OCing so I gave it to him. So today after getting some pamphlets printed up I drove to flap jacks unarmed and introduced myself the her. I gave her the pamphlet and apologized making her feel uncomfortable in her restaurant. I told her if she didn't like me OCing she should have asked me to leave and I would have complied with no issues or scene. I told her it wouldn't happen again. Her husband kinda got mad and we talked and they gave me theirs views on why people should carry a gun in a restaurant. I told them that it is their right to not serve whoever they want as it is my right to UOC. He said he agrees with what I'm doing he just doesn't want it in his restaurant. So he said he will read the pamphlet but when I come in next time please leave my pistol in my car. Needless to say I will not be eating in there anymore unless they change their policy on OC.

    So what do you guys thing? Should I have gone in and did what I did or should I have just left it alone? I figured they may be uneducated on the law and the pamphlet may enlighten them on the law and they may change their minds/UOC policy. Unlikely after the way the conversation went. There was no yelling or anything they just talked to me like I am in the wrong.

    So idk who is making that list but Flap Jacks in Tres Pinos Ca is anti UOC although I dont think any of you guys will be anywhere near this little town lol

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Those are the places that I hope get robbed.

    If I was a store owner I would want my place packed full of OC'ers.
    Haha well I don't hope they do but they are likely too. The Sheriff's Office is at least 10 minutes away on a good day and there are so many country roads the people would be gone in a second. If I owned a store I would also want Ocer in it.

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748
    I think going back and giving them the flyer was a good idea. Part of open carrying is being an ambassador for the cause. If people are upset and we turn our backs on them, then they never realize that we're just normal people who might feel differently about the importance of exercising our rights. At least they know your view on open carry and you know theirs. They probably won't be changing their mind anytime soon until open carry becomes normal enough for them to not even think about it. In the meantime some other restaurant will get your hard earned dollars.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    281
    It is his business. If he does not like OC for whatever reason he chooses that is his right, and never going back is yours as a customer. I own a industrial business, and would not like my employees OC'ing, but most people should not worry about robbers entering a wholesale industrial chemical business to steal stuff. Nothing here is worth there time or risk. I understand his point of view (risk versus reward), but also think you did great being nice and explaining the reason you OC and trying to educate him about it. If you have a restaurant with half the people packing heat, it is not going to be robbed. If he serves alcohol, I can understand him not wanting guns mixing with the booze.

    Some retail business are a bit different. There was a small donut shop in Orange County owned by a very nice Asian man. It was located in a county strip of land called Midway City. It is surrounded by 4 other incorporated cities. He gave free coffee and donuts to all the LEO's from all the surrounding towns and CHP. The place ALWAYS had a few police cars coming and going. So he gets a speeding ticket from a Highway patrolman on the freeway. He comes back to work and tapes the citation to his front business window, along with a big sign saying no more free coffee and donuts! A couple of weeks pass , and probably for the first time in many years, no police cars are at his business when he is robbed at gunpoint with his wife in his shop. Needless to say, the traffic citation and sign came down immediately, and things returned to the way they were. Free coffee and donuts Officer???
    Last edited by oc4ever; 12-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660
    I like the fact that you went back there, tried to smooth things over and gave them some educational materials. You did good. Curious, which pamphlet did you give them?

  6. #6
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Those are the places that I hope ....

    If I was a store owner I would want my place packed full of OC'ers.
    I hope that you will go back and delete the above comment. You should never wish evil on good people for acting on their beliefs. That is what is happening to us and we don't like it.

    I am glad that they received the pamphlet.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by oc4ever View Post
    It is his business. If he does not like OC for whatever reason he chooses that is his right, and never going back is yours as a customer. I own a industrial business, and would not like my employees OC'ing, but most people should not worry about robbers entering a wholesale industrial chemical business to steal stuff. Nothing here is worth there time or risk. I understand his point of view (risk versus reward), but also think you did great being nice and explaining the reason you OC and trying to educate him about it. If you have a restaurant with half the people packing heat, it is not going to be robbed. If he serves alcohol, I can understand him not wanting guns mixing with the booze.

    Some retail business are a bit different. There was a small donut shop in Orange County owned by a very nice Asian man. It was located in a county strip of land called Midway City. It is surrounded by 4 other incorporated cities. He gave free coffee and donuts to all the LEO's from all the surrounding towns and CHP. The place ALWAYS had a few police cars coming and going. So he gets a speeding ticket from a Highway patrolman on the freeway. He comes back to work and tapes the citation to his front business window, along with a big sign saying no more free coffee and donuts! A couple of weeks pass , and probably for the first time in many years, no police cars are at his business when he is robbed at gunpoint with his wife in his shop. Needless to say, the traffic citation and sign came down immediately, and things returned to the way they were. Free coffee and donuts Officer???
    This is a little breakfast and lunch diner place kinda like Dennys. I don't think they sell alcohol but I could be wrong. But even if they do I was drinking a Pespi That is an interesting story. I believe open carrying deters crime. Yes those people didn't rob the donut place because there were cops there but cops carry guns which is probably the reason. Not the fear of cops the fear of getting shot. I would think robbers would be less likely to rob a place that is known for having OCing customers. Just my $0.02

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by coolusername2007 View Post
    I like the fact that you went back there, tried to smooth things over and gave them some educational materials. You did good. Curious, which pamphlet did you give them?
    I gave them this one:

    http://www.californiaopencarry.org/A...h_Revision.pdf

    I like the other ones but I think this one is better for public and the education of UOC.

    I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers. Idk if that is a good idea tho. I would bet that our LEOs here dont know much about UOC and would treat any call as a crazy man with a gun call and I'd be yelled at, at gun point and the whole nine yards. I dont mind an (e) check here and there but I dont want an action scene from a hollywood movie every time I open carry lol

    This flyer: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf
    Last edited by UR115; 12-15-2010 at 07:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    145
    I think i would have mentioned a few incidents like Luby's Cafeteria as to why you carry and why the owners might want to re-think their policy as well. Good job being an Ambassador of the cause.

  10. #10
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by UR115 View Post
    I gave them this one:

    http://www.californiaopencarry.org/A...h_Revision.pdf

    I like the other ones but I think this one is better for public and the education of UOC.

    I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers. Idk if that is a good idea tho. I would bet that our LEOs here dont know much about UOC and would treat any call as a crazy man with a gun call and I'd be yelled at, at gun point and the whole nine yards. I dont mind an (e) check here and there but I dont want an action scene from a hollywood movie every time I open carry lol

    This flyer: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf
    Those are really good pamphlets for sure. But may be a little heavy for the person not interested in all the legalities of UOC. I suggest using the educational brochure located here (its the "Yet another pamphlet - PR" pamphlet, 4th one on the list) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-Information

    I created it for the layman who has basic questions and misunderstandings about UOC. It should be a little easier read for those not interested in all the legalities.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by coolusername2007 View Post
    Those are really good pamphlets for sure. But may be a little heavy for the person not interested in all the legalities of UOC. I suggest using the educational brochure located here (its the "Yet another pamphlet - PR" pamphlet, 4th one on the list) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-Information

    I created it for the layman who has basic questions and misunderstandings about UOC. It should be a little easier read for those not interested in all the legalities.
    You're right that is a good one. Well I'm not going back in to give her another one but i will go back to my friend's mom's shop and have her print me 50 of these too Thanks

  12. #12
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by UR115 View Post
    You're right that is a good one. Well I'm not going back in to give her another one but i will go back to my friend's mom's shop and have her print me 50 of these too Thanks

    Thanks, I need to update it. I carry this one with the legal flyer stuffed inside.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hollister CA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by coolusername2007 View Post
    Thanks, I need to update it. I carry this one with the legal flyer stuffed inside.
    I got some of those printed too. Those two pretty much covers everything

  14. #14
    Regular Member Kloutier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spanish Fork Utah, Utah, USA
    Posts
    193
    I would also post this restaurant in http://www.friendorfoe.us

  15. #15
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by UR115 View Post
    He said he agrees with what I'm doing he just doesn't want it in his restaurant. So he said he will read the pamphlet but when I come in next time please leave my pistol in my car. Needless to say I will not be eating in there anymore unless they change their policy on OC.
    He doesnt want your money. I would leave it at that and never darken his door again. There isnt much point to calling for some kind of boycott as our contingent isnt made of such numbers that it will have an impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Those are the places that I hope get robbed.
    Classy. Do you wish ill on people you have never met often? Have a growing collection of Voo Doo dolls stuck with pins?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    I think going back and giving them the flyer was a good idea. Part of open carrying is being an ambassador for the cause.
    ^ This.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolusername2007 View Post
    I like the fact that you went back there, tried to smooth things over and gave them some educational materials. You did good.
    ^ and this...
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  16. #16
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by UR115 View Post
    I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers.
    I personally wouldn't do so, but if you decide to just make sure to NOT open carry there as police departments are government buildings and open carry is forbidden by law.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508
    You have done your best to be a good ambassador for gun rights and OC; there is nothing more you can do for this particular couple, other than remain positive in any possible future encounters.

  18. #18
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    I personally wouldn't do so, but if you decide to just make sure to NOT open carry there as police departments are government buildings and open carry is forbidden by law without a 12050 license.
    Correction.
    But...even with a 12050 license I don't think I would walk into a PD lobby Open Carrying.

  19. #19
    Regular Member teemgreen99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    72
    personally i would get some others to solo UOC in flap jacks, different OCers on different days. It might make them think that its something that they are going to be seeing a lot more of. I mean what are they going to do turn down a paying law abiding customer on a daily basis.

  20. #20
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by teemgreen99 View Post
    personally i would get some others to solo UOC in flap jacks, different OCers on different days. It might make them think that its something that they are going to be seeing a lot more of. I mean what are they going to do turn down a paying law abiding customer on a daily basis.
    Oh good- so you would like to antagonize the business owner into taking action against our activities. How quickly do you think they would put up a sign on the front door that says NO FIREARMS? And how does the prominent advertisment of a NO FIREARMS policy fit into your plan on normalizing exposed carry in your community?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  21. #21
    Regular Member teemgreen99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    72
    Great attitude condition three i offer my sincerist apologies for making a suggestion! Clearly the restuarant owner has already told the first OCer he is not welcome with the firearm so for all we know they have already considered a sign or already have put one up. Would you suggest that we call them on a monthly basis to see if its ok with them now? Or perhaps we could wait for our many friends in office to help us with OC here in California. I fail to see how me going into restaurant to sit peacfully for a meal is antagonizing simply because someone else i know was asked to leave for doing the same thing already.

  22. #22
    Regular Member teemgreen99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    72
    oh I almost forgot I myself have been to places where others have been asked to leave and nobody said anything to me. If they dont ask me to leave then why should I not go there? Sometimes you have to give people a little nudge for changes to be made, they dont just happen on there own and or overnight.

  23. #23
    Regular Member JJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East Contra Costa County, California, ,
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by teemgreen99 View Post
    Great attitude condition three i offer my sincerist apologies for making a suggestion! Clearly the restuarant owner has already told the first OCer he is not welcome with the firearm so for all we know they have already considered a sign or already have put one up. Would you suggest that we call them on a monthly basis to see if its ok with them now? Or perhaps we could wait for our many friends in office to help us with OC here in California. I fail to see how me going into restaurant to sit peacfully for a meal is antagonizing simply because someone else i know was asked to leave for doing the same thing already.

    +1

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakley, California, United States
    Posts
    637
    +1 for Team Green,

    I have never been asked to leave a place. Some of which I know that others have been.
    IE: costco , walmart, home depot,

  25. #25
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I think trying to give them information was a good idea, but I doubt it will change their minds.

    What might work is giving info on places like Luby's vs. the Waffle House in Kennesaw, GA. One was a massacre, the other the criminals admitted to police that they were waiting to rob the restaurant until the OC guys left.

    This morning 15 or so of us had a pancake breakfast at a little restaurant and most of our group were armed (loaded, legal in WI). AFAIK none of the other customers said anything. There certainly weren't any people screaming in terror & running for the doors. The manager even invited us back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •