• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on the VA Beach Strip

Mike Frye

Hey Guys, I havent heard any word about OC'ing on the strip. Usually when I down there I carry concealed but thats not my desire. I do this because it seems to me that the police down there appear to be stressed and may not exhibit the best comon sense to my rights as a gun carring citizen. Any thoughts on this?:banghead:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Lots of folks have OC's along the "boardwalk" and along the 2 streets fronting the beach. The VaB cops are really good guys as far as reports have gone, with some nice conversations and comparison of noth hard and soft ware.

If there is something specific you see the cops being "stressed" about, don't do that. ;>)

Check the OC in Hampton Roads thread http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?39693-Open-Carry-in-Hampton-Roads and see what's already been reported.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Lots of folks have OC's along the "boardwalk" and along the 2 streets fronting the beach. The VaB cops are really good guys as far as reports have gone, with some nice conversations and comparison of noth hard and soft ware.

If there is something specific you see the cops being "stressed" about, don't do that. ;>)

Check the OC in Hampton Roads thread http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?39693-Open-Carry-in-Hampton-Roads and see what's already been reported.

stay safe.

The VBPD has gone through a number of phases. Many years ago they had a relatively small department and hired Law students from W&M in the summer. Those were pretty decent folks to be around.

As the city grew, the Department went to a large full time workforce and began hiring a lot of military people. They were less citizen friendly but not necessarily anti gun.

Time went on and the City tried to improve their image with the tourists. They started hiring The limber wristed pretty boys. They were anti gun and reports of gun owner abuse started.

Lawsuits and complaints seem to have won out, because these days the PD is much better. I have friends that are Officers at the beach and they are definitely not anti. We do argue over cruising and the excessive use of cameras...but gun issues are few and far between now.

SuperDad

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
I have OC'd too many times to count down on the boardwalk and surrounding side streets and have never once had a negative incident with any of the VBPD. Have actually had quite a few conversations with the police on the boardwalk while very obviously OC and none have ever had an issue or said anything. Carry away.

DocDaddy

I was there over the summer (day and night), a few times to walk the dogs with my fiance, no one had any issues that I noticed. I did notice a few double takers, but they just kept walking since I had my girl in one arm and a dog leash in the other.

wylde007

Virginia Beach also used to qualify under the older (now stricken) laws of the Commonwealth which allowed them, as a city having a population over 250k (or something like that) to set their own ordinances for carry.

Since preemption has eliminated that concern I have personally found that VB police are generally unconcerned with open carry.

I have been Terry stopped twice up there. One time was a case of mistaken identity and the other was formed from a complaint the police received HOURS prior.

Neither instance produced any confrontational attitudes and the officers were generally professional - especially once they realized I knew the law and it was obvious I was not "their guy".

Even for an avowed anti-law-enforcement guy like myself I can certainly vouch for the adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Be courteous, be informed, but also be aware of YOUR RIGHTS and know the difference between a consensual encounter and a detention.

If you want to make nice and talk to Mr. Policeman, that's fine. Most of them have better things to do than respond to MWAG calls - but they do not know you from Adam and neither you them.

But, again, for the most part VB police are pretty good about OC. I have not heard too many complaints involving VB law enforcement.

Mike Frye

I have OC'd too many times to count down on the boardwalk and surrounding side streets and have never once had a negative incident with any of the VBPD. Have actually had quite a few conversations with the police on the boardwalk while very obviously OC and none have ever had an issue or said anything. Carry away.

Wow, thanks to all for the great info on this hope to see alot more OC on the ocean front. :dude:

palerider116

MWAG calls typically come in greatly embellished. The call comes across the radio or gets sent to the MDT with the information relayed by the caller to the call taker, and then that gets relayed to the dispatcher who in turn relays it to the officer(s). So by the time it gets to the officers, its convoluted and twisted every which way. Then you have to factor in if the caller is hysterical or "exaggerates" (read as LIES) about what is going on.

Its important to remember that the officers are sent to a scene with basic information that may be partially or wholly wrong. Their initial stance is determined by the information relayed to them and then it changes as they arrive on scene and figure out whats really going on.

wylde007

Their initial stance can also be determined by your immediate response.

One time I was stopped after leaving a WaWa with my dog and a cup of coffee. I was walking down the street towards my house when a patrol cruiser rounded the corner and came to a stop a few houses down from me.

Of course I immediately knew what was going on.

As I approached the officer got out of his car. Remember, I have a cup of coffee in one hand and a dog leash in the other. My dog is, imagine if you will, the spitting image of Santa's Little Helper from The Simpsons.

The officer looked at me and said something to the effect of "Excuse me, are you carrying a gun?"

I turned strong side to him so he could see the holster and then he said "Yeah, I didn't think someone out walking their dog and drinking coffee was going to be what 'they' thought. Someone called about a man with a gun. I just wanted to see if you were carrying it like I carry mine."

I responded "Did you let the person know that open carry is completely legal in Virginia?"

He said that he did, wished me a good morning, got back in his cruiser and drove off. He never asked my name nor gave me any attitude.

This past year I walked the entire boardwalk during the Neptune Festival with my wife and son and only caught a couple of Guidos doing double-takes. The place was CRAWLING with city police and Sheriff's deputies. I know that a couple of them were made aware of my OC, because they maintained visual on me for a couple of minutes at a time, but not one of them ever approached me or said anything.

I am pretty sure they recognized and appreciate the adage we here at OCDO refrain: It's not the gun you see that you have to worry about.

In another instance my wife and I were grocery shopping and as I was kneeling down in the soup aisle trying to decide between Campbell's and the store brand I was approached by a uniformed officer. She was quite cordial when she asked "Excuse me, but are you in law enforcement?"

Of course I responded in the negative. She asked my name and I gave her my first name only. That seemed to satisfy her. Her only other question was why I was carrying. This time my response was "To protect myself and my family and because it is my right as a Virginian."

She made an agreeable response and explained that someone had said they saw a man with a gun and she was just doing her job by checking into it. Since it was pretty obvious the only thing we were doing was grocery shopping, she bid us good day and left us to our soup dilemma, likely off to inform whoever had issued the concern that there was nothing improprietous afoot.

Again, in case you have not picked up on it, VB police are pretty decent as far as OC goes. I think most in Virginia are. Most of my interactions with OBX NC Sheriff's deputies have been pretty good, too.

Yes, there are some bad ones. Yes, I tend to focus more attention on them. Most of them just want to go home at night and see their families - and they want you to do be able to do the same.

palerider116

+1 Wylde.

A good adage in LE is "Never enforce a code that you've never read or don't understand."

And another maxim is, "There are some callers that will try to cram guns, alcohol, and drugs into every 911 call." He has a GUN, and he is trying to sell DRUGS!!! and I think he may be DRUNK!!! :rolleyes:

So...

When you get there, he doesn't have a gun, its a Motorola Droid. He isn't selling drugs, he is taking his child door to door selling candy for school. As for being drunk? Yep, wrong again.