• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying?

Beretta92FSLady

I am sitting here at Beans & Brew on 56th S. and 36th W., enjoying a cup, reading and writing a bit, listening to music.

Not sure what the policy here is, but there seems to be no problem.

Question:

I went to Unified Police station on 35th, and was curious if civilians are permitted to carry into the building?

cdrhoad

as long as you stay in the area's that are generally accesible to the public. The Chief LEO can establish "secure areas" within the station. I suggest that you ask if you are entering a secure area if you have to move somewhere beyond the main lobby of the station.

jpm84092

as long as you stay in the area's that are generally accesible to the public. The Chief LEO can establish "secure areas" within the station. I suggest that you ask if you are entering a secure area if you have to move somewhere beyond the main lobby of the station.

+1 on that response

Beretta92FSLady

The reason I ask is Unified Police station on 33rd has "no weapons" posted on the front door, but there are no security things to go through when you enter and walk around, wll, in the public area.

Taylorsville Court House on 54th and 27th(?) does not have anything posted that restricts firearms, well, when entering from the back of the court house. And the Taylorsville Police Station in the basement has nothing posted.

I think I am just confused LOL. Just because something is posted doesn't mean it is lawful. So, is the Unified Police no weapons posting have to be followed?

cdrhoad

Here's the Utah criminal code

76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
(1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:
(a) "Correctional facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.
(b) "Explosive" has the same meaning as defined for "explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" defined in Section 76-10-306.
(c) "Law enforcement facility" means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.
(d) "Mental health facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 62A-15-602.
(e) (i) "Secure area" means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
(ii) A "secure area" may not include any area normally accessible to the public.
(2) (a) A person in charge of a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
(b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).
(3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.
(4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
(b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.
(5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility's rule or policy established pursuant to this section.
(6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.
(b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility.

I don't know how to highlight or bold sections so I will re-state

at least one notice at the secure area shall be given, the facility has to provide a "secure storage" for your firearm. Be warned though... there are still some police stations and all courts have not complied with the law. I would reccomend you call or write the station and confirm that they have a "secure storage" for your firearm prior to entering. The courts do not comply with the law because they feel that the judicial system is equal to the legislative system and thus they can't tell them what to do... nany nany poo poo. It has been an issue that has been frustrating many of us 2a advocates.
you are within the law... but the law enforcement agency may not see it that way.
remember, I am NOT a lawyer... and this is only my advice based on my experience.