• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC: "Dumbest thing I could do"

LR Yote 312

i've been trying to grab springfield's 1911 for years now. he's onto me though.

Are you sure you weren't grabbing something else?:eek:

nope, just want that gleaming 1911.

You all should have seen him when I walked into his shop with my 1911 and my Deer Slayer !!!!

I dont know if its possible to pair bond with an inanimate object but he sure tried.

He even tried the Jedi Mind Trick !!!

LR Yote

Last edited:

Canard

If this is the same guy that also teaches a class in Madison he has a guy I work with that took his class freaked out about open carry. He basically scared him into taking more of his classes because he was taught that he is not good enough with his firearm to carry. He might even have my coworker too freaked out to CC. He now seems to think if he's not trained like a navy seal he's not proficient enough to carry.

oak1971

You all should have seen him when I walked into his shop with my 1911 and my Deer Slayer !!!!

I dont know if its possible to pair bond with an inanimate object but he sure tried.

He even tried the Jedi Mind Trick !!!

LR Yote

These are not the guns you're looking for....

oak1971

If this is the same guy that also teaches a class in Madison he has a guy I work with that took his class freaked out about open carry. He basically scared him into taking more of his classes because he was taught that he is not good enough with his firearm to carry. He might even have my coworker too freaked out to CC. He now seems to think if he's not trained like a navy seal he's not proficient enough to carry.

What a tool.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
This is according to Fred at Fletcher arms. Other than saying that someone was going to grab my firearm and shoot me or someone else, and that there were lots of OC gun grabs that go unreported, He wasn't bad. I guess he is there new instructor. We got to talking more about open carry/WCI and He mentioned Auric Gold being one of his top students and I was hoping A. Gold could recommend him or mention what kind of training he does well. I am interested in finding a good instructor on gun retention. Overall I like shopping at fletcher's and they had exactly what I was looking for today(LCR speedloader and some 9mm mags)

Freddie is a personal friend and also an excellent instructor and can teach you plenty about firearms retention, including advanced ground techniques if you trip, fall or have somebody push you and pile on top of you. He has a lot of experience in various forms of martial arts, including wrestling, judo (if I remember correctly) aikido and probably others. Sometimes in the combat league we spent as much time on the mat as we did on the range. At my age that wasn't entirely pleasant but it certainly was valuable training. We even cross-trained with an advanced Krav Maga class so we could become familiar with what to expect from an opponent who is skilled in unarmed combat, while they learned what to expect from people who are skilled with firearms.

Freddie's not a fan of OC, at least not for people who haven't had a certain level of gun retention training. We don't see entirely eye-to-eye on the issue because as I pointed out to him, OC is the only option for most people. He has stated in the past that he's relatively ok with OC among the shooters in the Advanced Civilian Combat League that he used to run at Deerfield, although I believe I am the only one in that group who actually OC's on a regular basis.

Personally, I think his opinion is based upon the experience of police, who-- despite their gun retention training-- still have guns taken away from them all too often. I think police have their guns taken away much more often than non-police simply due to the fact that police work involves frequently doing things that the rest of us are rarely called upon to do, e.g., pursue and apprehend criminals, clear unfamiliar buildings, break up fights, etc. These are risky activities, even for trained people.

CC changes things somewhat, because the concealment itself is the primary physical defense against someone taking your gun. But even then, if your gun is discovered somehow, your defenses against a gun grab are the same as when you OC. Most concealment holsters are built to retain a gun from falling out during normal activity, not to protect from a grab in the same manner as a well-built duty holster. Even a duty holster is far from fool-proof, particularly when up against a savvy opponent who may be able to snatch a gun from your holster, or even your hand, in a flash. I've seen it done plenty of times.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Have early morning tight schedule and really hope this subject is well covered by the time I get back in the afternoon. :D

Whenever you give the forum a "suggested" order, you should use the royal "we".

"Have early moring...by the time we get back in the afternoon."

:)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whenever you give the forum a "suggested" order, you should use the royal "we".

"Have early moring...by the time we get back in the afternoon."

:)

We were counting on you to contribute in your indubitably unique style, a day late - noticing nothing not withstanding, it is you weing. :D

OCglock1988

Freddie is a personal friend and also an excellent instructor and can teach you plenty about firearms retention, including advanced ground techniques if you trip, fall or have somebody push you and pile on top of you. He has a lot of experience in various forms of martial arts, including wrestling, judo (if I remember correctly) aikido and probably others. Sometimes in the combat league we spent as much time on the mat as we did on the range. At my age that wasn't entirely pleasant but it certainly was valuable training. We even cross-trained with an advanced Krav Maga class so we could become familiar with what to expect from an opponent who is skilled in unarmed combat, while they learned what to expect from people who are skilled with firearms.

Freddie's not a fan of OC, at least not for people who haven't had a certain level of gun retention training. We don't see entirely eye-to-eye on the issue because as I pointed out to him, OC is the only option for most people. He has stated in the past that he's relatively ok with OC among the shooters in the Advanced Civilian Combat League that he used to run at Deerfield, although I believe I am the only one in that group who actually OC's on a regular basis.

Personally, I think his opinion is based upon the experience of police, who-- despite their gun retention training-- still have guns taken away from them all too often. I think police have their guns taken away much more often than non-police simply due to the fact that police work involves frequently doing things that the rest of us are rarely called upon to do, e.g., pursue and apprehend criminals, clear unfamiliar buildings, break up fights, etc. These are risky activities, even for trained people.

CC changes things somewhat, because the concealment itself is the primary physical defense against someone taking your gun. But even then, if your gun is discovered somehow, your defenses against a gun grab are the same as when you OC. Most concealment holsters are built to retain a gun from falling out during normal activity, not to protect from a grab in the same manner as a well-built duty holster. Even a duty holster is far from fool-proof, particularly when up against a savvy opponent who may be able to snatch a gun from your holster, or even your hand, in a flash. I've seen it done plenty of times.

thanks shotgun, Freddie sounds like he might be the guy to go to for some instruction on retention and some hand to hand techniques. He told me I needed to buy a new holster because He's seen the serpa broken during some retention drills

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
thanks shotgun, Freddie sounds like he might be the guy to go to for some instruction on retention and some hand to hand techniques. He told me I needed to buy a new holster because He's seen the serpa broken during some retention drills

Oh please, not another Serpa horror story.

...a mechanical device that can fail in any number of ways, just like the pistol it's made to carry. There is a chance either unit can fail in normal or weird ways, and it's almost assured each will at some point.

The features of the Serpa retention holster make it a very serious contender for duty on a police officers gear belt. The same for a soldiers kit. In both cases, physical scuffles with bad folks happen, and far too many officers are murdered with their own weapons. Far more, I believe, than are killed by simple gear failures like a failed retention holster. That has to weigh heavily in the equation.
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2010/05/torture-testing-blackhawk-serpa-holster.html

All holsters are a compromise of one sort or another.

The original SERPA holster did have some design issues that Paul Gomez brought to their attention. That was a number of years ago and changes were made.

I know many instructors that wear Serpas for their own personal use and obviously trust them. A number of specialized military units have reportedly carried them w/o problem.
There are also upgrades that can be performed to any design including the Serpa. I have done so to two of mine, involves the use of larger screw heads from the optional platform. ymmv

lockman

State Researcher
When I took training from PPA, the instructor said of open carry " it's like asking for a lead pipe to the back of your head". So the myth continues... He had no use for open carry and was in favor of only concealed carry.

Um, should ALL LE be carrying concealed too?

Be aware of your surroundings!

[SARCASM]I think everybody knows concealed carriers never get a lead pipe to the back of the head because no one knows if there carrying or not.[/SARCASM]

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

So have I. And I've seen paddle holsters lift right out of the pants with the gun still in them. Our retention and combative training was not only with Freddie, but with members of Madison and area SWAT teams. Much consideration of one's accessories was given, and the Serpa holster was evaluated to be "borderline" in terms of strength to hold up to a determined gun grab. I consider it a decent concealment holster, but bare minimum for OC. I like Serpas overall, but after a couple years of going through the retention drills I upgraded to Safariland ALS duty holsters for OC whenever there was a compatible holster for my carry guns. Another drawback to the Serpa is that the release button on the side is all-too-obvious and accessible to an opponent.

XDFDE45

I like Serpas overall, but after a couple years of going through the retention drills I upgraded to Safariland ALS duty holsters for OC whenever there was a compatible holster for my carry guns. Another drawback to the Serpa is that the release button on the side is all-too-obvious and accessible to an opponent.

I've checked the site for XD45's on both Safariland and Desantis and neither one had holsters for my gun :(.

OCglock1988

So have I. And I've seen paddle holsters lift right out of the pants with the gun still in them. Our retention and combative training was not only with Freddie, but with members of Madison and area SWAT teams. Much consideration of one's accessories was given, and the Serpa holster was evaluated to be "borderline" in terms of strength to hold up to a determined gun grab. I consider it a decent concealment holster, but bare minimum for OC. I like Serpas overall, but after a couple years of going through the retention drills I upgraded to Safariland ALS duty holsters for OC whenever there was a compatible holster for my carry guns. Another drawback to the Serpa is that the release button on the side is all-too-obvious and accessible to an opponent.

Im starting to feel the same way about the serpa, Im looking into getting something leather that holds my pistol closer to my body. I really like the comfort of the serpa paddle(unless Im sitting) and I like the fast draw I get from it. It is however the only holster I have right now and thats what I practice with and am comfortable with for now