• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC: "Dumbest thing I could do"

OCglock1988

This is according to Fred at Fletcher arms. Other than saying that someone was going to grab my firearm and shoot me or someone else, and that there were lots of OC gun grabs that go unreported, He wasn't bad. I guess he is there new instructor. We got to talking more about open carry/WCI and He mentioned Auric Gold being one of his top students and I was hoping A. Gold could recommend him or mention what kind of training he does well. I am interested in finding a good instructor on gun retention. Overall I like shopping at fletcher's and they had exactly what I was looking for today(LCR speedloader and some 9mm mags)

jpm84092

WHAT? Open Carry is "Dumb"?

(Knocking head against the wall) - One might just wonder about a "firearms instructor" who has so little respect for the 2nd Amendment that his "instruction" is to tell people that Open Carry is dumb. It is sort of self-serving for somebody to say that there are so many unreported episodes of bad guys snatching guns from open carry people. I know if one of my guns was "liberated" by a bad guy, I would certainly report it.

And, yes, I encourage anyone with an interest in this subject to get training in gun retention.

Kelevra

They are taking that stance because they're pushing for licensed CCW with mandatory training. For them it is all about the Benjamins...

protias

I'll have to talk with Fred. He does train with the police (forget which agency) and seems to be pretty knowledgable with rifles (especially ARs), but I've not talked with him much. I'm not sure why, but most of the guys at Fletchers prefer CC to OC. I have no idea why. And yet, they are the only firearms store in southeast WI that does not infringe upon our right to OC.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
Clint Eastwood

Krusty

It's hard to believe that someone that should be pro 2nd would make a statement like that. But if he thinks that OC is "dumbest thing you can do", then for the moment and until CC is passed, there is no need in taking any of his classes! IMHO

Spartacus

Banned
I heard the "they will steal your gun" objection from Bill and Deb Whatstheirnames when I took their class for the MN permit.

Even though the class was conducted in WI he never mentioned OC the whole time and I had to force him to talk about it by asking pointed questions during the class.

M

McX

i've been trying to grab springfield's 1911 for years now. he's onto me though.

oak1971

They are taking that stance because they're pushing for licensed CCW with mandatory training. For them it is all about the Benjamins...

That will be the downfall of Constitutional Carry if all these "training" folks lobby hard enough in order to line their own pockets.

phred

When I took training from PPA, the instructor said of open carry " it's like asking for a lead pipe to the back of your head". So the myth continues... He had no use for open carry and was in favor of only concealed carry.

Um, should ALL LE be carrying concealed too?

Be aware of your surroundings!