• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video Gun Buyback In Detroit...alternative

budlight

Not a shocker here. Detroit PD hires officers based on diversity, not merit. They also have one of the lowest hiring standards in Michigan and probably one of the lowest in the country.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I thought the plan was to stand on public property so the private property issue wouldn't come up?
The place is huge...

We wouldn't have gotten anything standing outside the gate so we stood just to the left of the entrance.

We didn't have any signs...this time. ;)

I wanted to do this as the FIRST FOOT IN THE DOOR type thing. Before you know it, people will be crashing "gun buy backs" all over the country.

Last edited:

MKEgal

lapeer20m said:
actually, the cameraman was holding a sony handycam in plain view.

OMG. They did that while they KNEW they were being recorded????
How corrupt ARE they?
Definitely make noise about this 'til the department officially and publicly announces a change in policy &/or speaks out against the actions of the JBTs shown in the video.

Super Trucker

I've thought about doing the same thing myself, though I don't have the money for it.

I betcha the police didn't know at the time that they were being recorded. Wonder how the PD PR flacks are gonna try to spin this? Especially with that one extremely rude & aggressive officer. Waaaaaaay beyond professional conduct.

And what 'crime' were the police investigating that they were allowed to detain those guys & compel ID?
Is there a state law saying that private citizens can't sell their property wherever, to whomever they choose?
Or that, in the case of guns, either the seller or buyer has to have a permit?

ETA: I see from further postings that MI does require a permit to purchase, & registration of that purchase. Yikes.

Those guys weren't doing anything illegal (unlike the police), and I'll bet you dimes to dollars the owner of the property hadn't asked them to leave.

This should be interesting to watch the fallout - citizens trying to save the gov't money, not committing crimes, police (on camera) commit crimes against those citizens.

Since you are out of state I would like to comment on the bold part.
The one gun I saw in the video being purchased was a long gun which does not require a PP or registration

MI does require a purchase permit and registration on handguns, not long guns. The MI CPL does away with the need for a purchase permit for said handguns, a person with a CPL would fill out state form RI-60 (which can be printed from the state web site) then they would mail copies of that RI-60 to the cop shop to complete the registration process, so the guys involved that had CPL's were perfectly legal in buying either type of gun.

They also stayed in the parking lot, to avoid a MI PFZ for those that were CCing.

Job well done in my opinion.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The place is huge...

We wouldn't have gotten anything standing outside the gate so we stood just to the left of the entrance.

We didn't have any signs...this time. ;)

I wanted to do this as the FIRST FOOT IN THE DOOR type thing. Before you know it, people will be crashing "gun buy backs" all over the country.

Okay, But this has been done in Ohio, they were on public property with signs saying they would pay more. The LEOs chased them off as well.

Also you need to sight in your camera :lol: so it's even with your eyes. But did enjoy looking at everyones footwear :D. The video clarity was great as was the sound.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
We're not professional cameramen, or spies. GEESH!

The audio is the important part of the encounter, there is much less emphasis on the video. However, we do have video taken from at least 3 different cameras.

I am uploading a 3rd camera angle to youtube right now. i'll post the link when it's finished.

Oh I know, I was just razzing Doug. I know what he was using to record with and am jealous.

Haman J.T.

He said you were ordered to leave,by who,the owner or him?Shut up?Another ego trip happnin!Another black eye for DPD!

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

Next time you guys go to one of these buy back deals at the Church
Dress up like Jake & Elwood Blues
And when the officer ask what your doing in the Church parking lot,you tell em Your on a mission from God. LOL

2uo6ukk.jpg

:lol:

kryptonian

1) was it a spycam or a visible handycam? read both in here
2) was funny when she saw the gun
3) i've given ID and not based on the officer's approach. this wouldn't be one of them. they can play detroit tough all they want but they can't get around state law and premption.
4) i appreciate detroit trying to get illegal or even legal guns off the street. i am assuming they are temporarily overlooking the possesion law to make the drop off. if you bought an illegal weapon from someone there how would that be then legal? wouldn't you then be there with an illegal weapon? i'm sure then the DPD would not overlook the possesion law for you. if arrested and tried you of course would point out that they didn't arrest anybody else there - why me? they are also ignoring holding this event at a PFZ. legal to OC but not CC and for sure not illegal carry. were there any signs about the transaction? leave in box, unloaded, etc.?
5) was ID required to drop off? was cash given? i had a weapon to get rid of years ago and was told by oakland county sheriff's dept. that i would have to present ID to give them a weapon for disposal.
6) were the police already there or were they called for you?
sorry to armchair quarterback this one guys but the video made me feel like i was there. i was yelling at my laptop. i did hear the usual question dodging that drives me nuts when i see these encounters. part of police encounter education should be to insist that questions be addressed. good job guys. hope this stirs the DPD pot up and sheds light on the inadequacy they show us.