• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video Gun Buyback In Detroit...alternative

TheQ

3) i've given ID and not based on the officer's approach. this wouldn't be one of them. they can play detroit tough all they want but they can't get around state law and premption.

They were required to disclose and give ID. At least the ones who were packing concealed heat...

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
by the way... does DPD have permission from the michigan legislature to remove the PFZ stipulation from that church for the day? if not, shouldn't someone charge the DPD with a crime?

scot623

I've been thinking about that...a crime truly is only a crime when the prosecutor brings charges against the defendant. If the prosecutor tells the DPD they won't charge anyone with crimes related to the buy back, I guess that would solve that issue.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Owner/manager/agent written permission.

i believe you may be right... a church can grant permission for firearms to be on their property
also, what scott said makes sense as well. i know they guys were worried about stepping onto the sidewalk and out the parking lot in the video, but if the church gave blanket permission for firearms for that day, they should have been ok standing wherever they wanted. especially since the permission was to include illegal firearms and the guys had all legal firearms

Bronson

i was under the impression that a parking lot of a building didnt count when it comes to no firearms

You're mixing up your laws. The parking lot exemption only applies to concealed carry.

28.425o

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(3) As used in subsection (1), "premises" does not include parking areas of the places identified under subsection (1).

Bronson

sasha601

And, I wonder how DPD handles taking possession of firearms at buy backs if these are anonymous? Which law exempts DPD from issuing proper paperwork during such transfer? Did they issue a Pistol Sales Record (RI-60), fill out Purchase Permit, did ATF required transferpaperwork issues and tax paid if firearm is subject to ATF regulation? How is this done if buyback is anonymous? What law permits DPD to conduct transfers without issuing such paperwork? Does it make this activity illegal?