Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard at a gun range or weapons training.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard at a gun range or weapons training.

    Well I had a young guy who was in my latest OPOTA class and the instructor was going over the task. We where told we will BE getting behind different barriers and fire at the target and at different distances. The kid pipes in with and I quote. "YOU MEAN LIKE IN CALL OF DUTY WHEN YOUR IN THE KILL HOUSE?" On a happy note the instructors denied his paperwork, he made a lot of video game comparisons. I call people like this, ARMED CHAIR COMMANDOS and they MUST be avoid at all cost and are a danger to themselves and others.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  2. #2
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    I had a guy at Las Vegas Gun range who happened to be their in house CCW instructor tell me, "When you leave home open carrying a firearm, your chances of returning home alive are fifty-fifty. Number one, I must be the luckiest guy on earth, because I've never one this many coin tosses in a row. Number two, what are the odds that I return home dead?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    A few years ago I had a man in his mid thirties ask me for help adjusting a rifle scope. I answered his questions and showed him how to adjust for elevation and windage in 1/4 inch increments as his scope was meant to do. I told him to take one really good shot, then make an adjustment and repeat the process until he was satisfied with the point of impact. I also made sure his rings and bases were secure and tightened down, just in case.
    As soon as I get done helping him, he walks all the way down the firing line and asks an older gentleman the same questions. The older man is at the range all the time and knows his stuff. the older man proceeds to tell him the same things I already told him almost verbatim. I'm a younger guy, 26 now about 24 then, so apparently my advice wasn't good enough for him. I just don't see the point of asking a question of someone if you're going to ignore their advice and ask someone else anyway. Seemed rather idiotic to me. He then proceeded to ignore all advice given and blast away aimlessly for over an hour.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    A few years ago I had a man in his mid thirties ask me for help adjusting a rifle scope. I answered his questions and showed him how to adjust for elevation and windage in 1/4 inch increments as his scope was meant to do. I told him to take one really good shot, then make an adjustment and repeat the process until he was satisfied with the point of impact. I also made sure his rings and bases were secure and tightened down, just in case.
    As soon as I get done helping him, he walks all the way down the firing line and asks an older gentleman the same questions. The older man is at the range all the time and knows his stuff. the older man proceeds to tell him the same things I already told him almost verbatim. I'm a younger guy, 26 now about 24 then, so apparently my advice wasn't good enough for him. I just don't see the point of asking a question of someone if you're going to ignore their advice and ask someone else anyway. Seemed rather idiotic to me. He then proceeded to ignore all advice given and blast away aimlessly for over an hour.
    I would say not just idiotic but extremely rude too boot.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Surely the "I'm the only one here trained to handle this weapon. BANG." must take the cake, hands down.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415
    Saw a guy once at the The Sportsman (Local gun range) put his rifle up on the bench after range cadre very loudly, and directly, told everyone present to not pass forward beyond their "Red Line", as the range was cold.

    After getting a "Excuse me sir, you cannot place your rifle on the bench right now. Th range is cold. You must wait until the line is hot!", the guy picks up the rifle, sweeping not only the range cadre, but me, and a large crowd of people with the muzzle.

    I was extremely surprised that he was not kicked out,..but he wasn't.

    It was kind of funny looking back on it, because the rangemaster (A guy named Norm) and I looked at each other schocked from this guys wrecklessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    Bronze medal... " There's no such thing as a .357 sig. The only .357 is the magnum." This was in Hebert guns,Prarieville La. By an employee working the counter.


    Silver medal....... At the Tangipahoa parish sheriff's range, cold range, Me: " Excuse me, the range is cold, put down the rifle." Jack@$$: " It's OK, I'm a hunter education instructor, and I'm just looking through the scope." BANGHEAD.


    GOLD MEDAL... Same TPSO range as silver,..... Deputy: "OC is ok here because it's public property, but OC in public is not ok." DOH!!
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Surely the "I'm the only one here trained to handle this weapon. BANG." must take the cake, hands down.
    +1
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...om-county.html

    Last year a Canadian guy did the same thing at the same range. I just go shooting in the woods now.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 12-18-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  10. #10
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290
    Some kid - whose mom was spotting his marksmanship with a scope - told me: "Guns are only meant to be used in target competition".



    I just let him and his folks live in their dream world.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kloutier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spanish Fork Utah, Utah, USA
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Well I had a young guy who was in my latest OPOTA class and the instructor was going over the task. We where told we will BE getting behind different barriers and fire at the target and at different distances. The kid pipes in with and I quote. "YOU MEAN LIKE IN CALL OF DUTY WHEN YOUR IN THE KILL HOUSE?" On a happy note the instructors denied his paperwork, he made a lot of video game comparisons. I call people like this, ARMED CHAIR COMMANDOS and they MUST be avoid at all cost and are a danger to themselves and others.
    Sigh... I love games and comments like this guys are why games are not an accepted format for story telling.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308
    The last time I was at the Montgomery County (TN) County Shooting Complex, one of the Range Safety Officers saw my wife shooting her rifle, a Winchester 94 Golden Spike I gave her for our 1st wedding anniversary. Well, I'm taking a smoke break behind the lines and I hear the conversation the whole way through ...dumb comments italicized

    RSO: "You're being awfully rough with that rifle.
    Wife: Not really
    RSO: What is that you're shooting, exactly?
    Wife: A Winchester.
    RSO: That's a Golden Spike. You really shouldn't be shooting that, that's a collectible.
    Wife: Sure is. I collected it, now I'm shooting it
    RSO: Do you know what something like that is worth?
    Wife: Sure do.
    RSO: Okay. Just as long as you know.

    My wife and I laughed our butts off the whole ride home. We were putting money down on what he was saying to his "shooting" buddies when he got with them at the gun store ....hahaha

    Some others, I can think of ...

    At the local gun store:
    Some HDLS dude talking about the absolute NEED for Houge slip-on grips on a Glock pistol
    Some Fudd (hunter that thinks guns are only for shooting 4-legged animals) let me know he didn't think law abiding citizens had any use for full-auto/silencers/black rifles

    Then, there's two listed in my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexcabbie View Post
    Some kid - whose mom was spotting his marksmanship with a scope - told me: "Guns are only meant to be used in target competition".

    I just let him and his folks live in their dream world.
    I feel sorry for him when the grocery stores close... he's gonna be a vegetarian out there eating grass with Mom....

    It really does amaze me how fast people can go from "Meat is murder!" to "I'm starving, give me the rifle and the bullets and I'll kill it with my bare hands if I run out of bullets."
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5
    i dont go to regular gun ranges alot, and when i go to gun stores i usually dont talk to the clerk other then "hey, can i see that <insert gun here>" but me and my dad were in a sports shop, looking at a ruger mini 14, and my dad asked the guy if it was made in america, to with the clerk replied no. (d'oh.) not that dumb, just lack of education

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Dumbest, most stupid, ignorant, brainless thing I ever heard from someone behind a gun counter was "You really don't want to look at that" - stated to a person younger than me who had spent the last 120+ days sampling and researching possibilities before deciding on what to plunk cold hard cash down to purchase.

    We left, drove all the way across the city and through two counties to get to another guun store where we got to hear the best thing ever heard so far - "Let me throw in a box of ammo with that. You don't want to take it out empty, do you?" (With the lower price due to an in-store special we had not known about, we were able to pick up a holster as well.)

    And yes, the next day they went to store #1 and met with both the gun-counter and General Managers to show off their brand new sales receipt.

    stay safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •