• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard at a gun range or weapons training.

zack991

Well I had a young guy who was in my latest OPOTA class and the instructor was going over the task. We where told we will BE getting behind different barriers and fire at the target and at different distances. The kid pipes in with and I quote. "YOU MEAN LIKE IN CALL OF DUTY WHEN YOUR IN THE KILL HOUSE?" On a happy note the instructors denied his paperwork, he made a lot of video game comparisons. I call people like this, ARMED CHAIR COMMANDOS and they MUST be avoid at all cost and are a danger to themselves and others.

Nevada carrier

I had a guy at Las Vegas Gun range who happened to be their in house CCW instructor tell me, "When you leave home open carrying a firearm, your chances of returning home alive are fifty-fifty. Number one, I must be the luckiest guy on earth, because I've never one this many coin tosses in a row. Number two, what are the odds that I return home dead?

irish52084

A few years ago I had a man in his mid thirties ask me for help adjusting a rifle scope. I answered his questions and showed him how to adjust for elevation and windage in 1/4 inch increments as his scope was meant to do. I told him to take one really good shot, then make an adjustment and repeat the process until he was satisfied with the point of impact. I also made sure his rings and bases were secure and tightened down, just in case.
As soon as I get done helping him, he walks all the way down the firing line and asks an older gentleman the same questions. The older man is at the range all the time and knows his stuff. the older man proceeds to tell him the same things I already told him almost verbatim. I'm a younger guy, 26 now about 24 then, so apparently my advice wasn't good enough for him. I just don't see the point of asking a question of someone if you're going to ignore their advice and ask someone else anyway. Seemed rather idiotic to me. He then proceeded to ignore all advice given and blast away aimlessly for over an hour.

zack991

A few years ago I had a man in his mid thirties ask me for help adjusting a rifle scope. I answered his questions and showed him how to adjust for elevation and windage in 1/4 inch increments as his scope was meant to do. I told him to take one really good shot, then make an adjustment and repeat the process until he was satisfied with the point of impact. I also made sure his rings and bases were secure and tightened down, just in case.
As soon as I get done helping him, he walks all the way down the firing line and asks an older gentleman the same questions. The older man is at the range all the time and knows his stuff. the older man proceeds to tell him the same things I already told him almost verbatim. I'm a younger guy, 26 now about 24 then, so apparently my advice wasn't good enough for him. I just don't see the point of asking a question of someone if you're going to ignore their advice and ask someone else anyway. Seemed rather idiotic to me. He then proceeded to ignore all advice given and blast away aimlessly for over an hour.

I would say not just idiotic but extremely rude too boot.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Surely the "I'm the only one here trained to handle this weapon. BANG." must take the cake, hands down.

slowfiveoh

Saw a guy once at the The Sportsman (Local gun range) put his rifle up on the bench after range cadre very loudly, and directly, told everyone present to not pass forward beyond their "Red Line", as the range was cold.

After getting a "Excuse me sir, you cannot place your rifle on the bench right now. Th range is cold. You must wait until the line is hot!", the guy picks up the rifle, sweeping not only the range cadre, but me, and a large crowd of people with the muzzle.

I was extremely surprised that he was not kicked out,..but he wasn't.

It was kind of funny looking back on it, because the rangemaster (A guy named Norm) and I looked at each other schocked from this guys wrecklessness.

NRAMARINE

Bronze medal... " There's no such thing as a .357 sig. The only .357 is the magnum." This was in Hebert guns,Prarieville La. By an employee working the counter.

Silver medal....... At the Tangipahoa parish sheriff's range, cold range, Me: " Excuse me, the range is cold, put down the rifle." Jack@$$: " It's OK, I'm a hunter education instructor, and I'm just looking through the scope." BANGHEAD.

GOLD MEDAL... Same TPSO range as silver,..... Deputy: "OC is ok here because it's public property, but OC in public is not ok." DOH!!

Kloutier

Well I had a young guy who was in my latest OPOTA class and the instructor was going over the task. We where told we will BE getting behind different barriers and fire at the target and at different distances. The kid pipes in with and I quote. "YOU MEAN LIKE IN CALL OF DUTY WHEN YOUR IN THE KILL HOUSE?" On a happy note the instructors denied his paperwork, he made a lot of video game comparisons. I call people like this, ARMED CHAIR COMMANDOS and they MUST be avoid at all cost and are a danger to themselves and others.

Sigh... I love games and comments like this guys are why games are not an accepted format for story telling.

FightingGlock19

The last time I was at the Montgomery County (TN) County Shooting Complex, one of the Range Safety Officers saw my wife shooting her rifle, a Winchester 94 Golden Spike I gave her for our 1st wedding anniversary. Well, I'm taking a smoke break behind the lines and I hear the conversation the whole way through ...dumb comments italicized ;)

RSO: "You're being awfully rough with that rifle.
Wife: Not really
RSO: What is that you're shooting, exactly?
Wife: A Winchester.
RSO: That's a Golden Spike. You really shouldn't be shooting that, that's a collectible.
Wife: Sure is. I collected it, now I'm shooting it :)
RSO: Do you know what something like that is worth?
Wife: Sure do.
RSO: Okay. Just as long as you know.

My wife and I laughed our butts off the whole ride home. We were putting money down on what he was saying to his "shooting" buddies when he got with them at the gun store ....hahaha

Some others, I can think of ...

At the local gun store:
Some HDLS dude talking about the absolute NEED for Houge slip-on grips on a Glock pistol
Some Fudd (hunter that thinks guns are only for shooting 4-legged animals) let me know he didn't think law abiding citizens had any use for full-auto/silencers/black rifles

Then, there's two listed in my signature :)

Kirbinator

Some kid - whose mom was spotting his marksmanship with a scope - told me: "Guns are only meant to be used in target competition". :banghead:

I just let him and his folks live in their dream world.

I feel sorry for him when the grocery stores close... he's gonna be a vegetarian out there eating grass with Mom....

It really does amaze me how fast people can go from "Meat is murder!" to "I'm starving, give me the rifle and the bullets and I'll kill it with my bare hands if I run out of bullets."

sergeant-milsurp

i dont go to regular gun ranges alot, and when i go to gun stores i usually dont talk to the clerk other then "hey, can i see that <insert gun here>" but me and my dad were in a sports shop, looking at a ruger mini 14, and my dad asked the guy if it was made in america, to with the clerk replied no. (d'oh.) not that dumb, just lack of education

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dumbest, most stupid, ignorant, brainless thing I ever heard from someone behind a gun counter was "You really don't want to look at that" - stated to a person younger than me who had spent the last 120+ days sampling and researching possibilities before deciding on what to plunk cold hard cash down to purchase.

We left, drove all the way across the city and through two counties to get to another guun store where we got to hear the best thing ever heard so far - "Let me throw in a box of ammo with that. You don't want to take it out empty, do you?" (With the lower price due to an in-store special we had not known about, we were able to pick up a holster as well.)

And yes, the next day they went to store #1 and met with both the gun-counter and General Managers to show off their brand new sales receipt.

stay safe.