Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA to Push Aggressive Legislative Agenda During Wisconsin's 2011 Legislative Session

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

NRA to Push Aggressive Legislative Agenda During Wisconsin's 2011 Legislative Session

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6099

So... they are pushing for Constitutional Carry plus an optional permit exclusively for reciprocity. Wow!

Were were those fuzzers the last 10 years while we suffered under liberal tyranny? Now they show up and claim victory for what we did? Homey don't play that.
    Last edited by oak1971; 12-16-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

They want to help? That is fantastic!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Personally I don't give a flying **** who gets the credit. Let's just get it done!

I'm thrilled that we have their blessing now. Whatever would we have done?

Oh well, better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Personally I don't give a flying **** who gets the credit. Let's just get it done!
    Correct!

I have a sign in my office that says

"I refuse to accept blame until i get credit for past work"

No they do not want to help they want to come in to Wisconsin and push their agenda of permits and training.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedOne View Post
    "I refuse to accept blame until i get credit for past work"
    Pay is credit for work, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    No they do not want to help they want to come in to Wisconsin and push their agenda of permits and training.
    Constitutional Carry means no training. Besides, if there is no permit, how are police going to know if one is "trained" or not?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Although I'm usually pretty cynical regarding the motives of the NRA in this case it truly seems they are going to be on our side.

I think they were sick of signing on late to stuff and getting called for it like in Heller v. D.C. and McDonald. A lot of people were starting to see that it was other organizations that were really pushing the ball forward and the NRA jumping on the bandwagon. Not that they aren't jumping on the bandwagon again but at least they are doing it sooner rather than later.

They've become more reactionary of late and it's my guess that they are trying to remedy that. If they are truly with us on this, which it seems they are, there isn't much better (or bigger) help we could get.

Keep being skeptical but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Let's see where this goes.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

McX
    Constitutional Carry means no training. Besides, if there is no permit, how are police going to know if one is "trained" or not?
    by how well you prone out?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    +1

Yes. This is not some copyright battle where one wins a check for $63.45 every year (depending on trailing off sales).

If SOMEBODY wins Constitutional Carry with permit for reciprocity. We ALL win.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    by how well you prone out?
    Well enough to file complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    +1

Yes. This is not some copyright battle where one wins a check for $63.45 every year (depending on trailing off sales).

If SOMEBODY wins Constitutional Carry with permit for reciprocity. We ALL win.
    Or if every state goes Constitutional Carry, we all win!

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    Pay is credit for work, isn't it?
    Got me there!

Guess i get to accept a VERY SMALL amount of blame!

We all need to forget the past and stand shoulder to shoulder to get the best possible deal.

We need to continue to send snail mail, emails and make phone calls to our reps.

Now is not the time to let up or let anyone else carry the load we can help with.

Now is the time to push harder than ever.

We need to be relentless.
    WCI...........Member

Quote Originally Posted by polekat View Post
    We all need to forget the past and stand shoulder to shoulder to get the best possible deal.

We need to continue to send snail mail, emails and make phone calls to our reps.

Now is not the time to let up or let anyone else carry the load we can help with.

Now is the time to push harder than ever.

We need to be relentless.
    Damn straight! I have emailed and/or stopped by my legislators office every week. I have also emailed the NRA every week. Keep all of their feet to the fire. Tell them what you WANT, not what you accept and hopefully they will get you what you will accept.

They ALL work for us, without us they are nothing. The NRA gets their power from us. Push, push, push!

Be polite but be firm. Don't make it personal, be logical. Refute their arguments with well thought out facts or opinions.

Well enough to file complaints.

Or if every state goes Constitutional Carry, we all win!
    This is the way we should go. Screw the optional permit.

Here is my 'suspicion' to the NRA's motives.

They claim to lobby for Cont. Carry, with the addition of an optional permit for reciprocity.

Walker said he will sign whatever hits his desk.

That optional permit will get hammered into a mandatory permit before it gets to Walker.

All are Rebulicans in office will claim this is the best deal we could get.

The writing is on the wall. Does not anyone else see it?

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post

That optional permit will get hammered into a mandatory permit before it gets to Walker.

I am afraid this is the way its gonna go as well.....

I say screw the permit....Give us Const. Carry...its on the individual if they are to carry in another State to get a permit.

Visitors permits should be recognized....any visitor concealed carrying without a permit gets charged...

There is no need to kowtow down to other States levels. Let the other States step up to us.

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 12-17-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spellling
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    I am afraid this is the way its gonna go as well.....

I say screw the permit....Give us Const. Carry...its on the individual if they are to carry in another State to get a permit.

Visitors permits should be recognized....any visitor concealed carrying without a permit gets charged...

There is no need to kowtow down to other States levels. Let the other States step up to us.

LR Yote
    did someone say my name here?!!! PERMITS???!!! WE DONT NEED NO STEENKIN PERMITS- TO ExERCISE A RIGHT!!!!

They claim to lobby for Cont. Carry, with the addition of an optional permit for reciprocity.

I saw it coming a mile away. The NRA only makes money if there are permits and training. Follow the money. Trust, but verify.

The NRA Press Release

I have read the NRA Press Release thoroughly; three times. It is clear to me that they are saying that they will use their lobby power to push strongly for a system in WI that mirrors AK and AZ; Constitutional Carry with optional permits for those who travel (or do not want the hassle of the Federal GFSZ). (And, yes, you do need a steenking permit to travel to MI, MN, IA (not IL - no carry there).

I really do not care who gets the credit, but I say to my fellow open carry advocates, in my opinion, it is GOOD NEWS to have the NRA with its' lobby power pushing with us rather than against us. Having NRA on our side means those who vote NO to Constitutional Carry will likely see their opponent get the coveted NRA voting endorsement during the next election cycle. That ought to give pause to the uber-liberals from Dane County and Milwaukee County.

It is probably not a coincidence that they are making a similar push in Iowa. Now that Iowa is about to be a "shall issue" State and go from not recognizing any other permit to recognizing all other permits (effective 1-1-11), NRA is pushing for Constitutional Carry. I think they have finally seen the light and understand that any limits placed on guns and gun ownership by law abiding citizens is an attack at their core values as well.

The NRA Firearm Course selection is reflecting this change of attitude with the introduction of "Personal Protection In The Home" and "Personal Protection Outside The Home". These two courses consist of common sense approaches to personal security, a section on State and Federal Gun Law, and shooting. No, not the stand at the range and fire standing, but draw from a concealed holster style defensive shooting (some would describe this as tactical and others as "quasi-tactical" live fire training) from behind cover. For those inclined to learn personal protection strategy, but not carry a handgun, there is the "Refuse to be a Victim" course.

In my "best possible outcome" world, the Wisconsin Legislature should:

1) Repeal the prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon.
    2) Repeal all WI statutes dealing with carry within a School Zone.
    3) Enact "shall issue" permit legislation with text that makes it clear that a permit is NOT REQUIRED to carry a concealed handgun within the borders of the State. Allow non-residents to obtain a WI Permit AND honor all out-of-state permits. (This gets us past the Federal Gun Free School Zones, provided WI does the background check mentioned in the Federal Statute.) - Make the "tax" on obtaining a permit affordable. And, with language that affirms that citizens can carry open or concealed at their option.
    4) Do all of this very quickly.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    @jpm...... +1

Like I said before; don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It is much better that they are lobbying for Constitutional Carry than if they were only lobbying for "shall issue".

For an example I gave the NRA press release to a few NRA members at work. They are hardcore sportsman/hunters rights and were only for "shall issue" if at all. Now, suddenly that the NRA is supporting this they are pretty much for it as well. Many of these types will do whatever the NRA asks. Whether they "take credit" or not they have a large influence with their members and are a great plus to have on our side

The other thing that jpm talks about is very true as well. Like the people at my work, there are many representatives that want the NRA endorsment and may not get it if they don't go along with constitutional carry.

Yes, be inwardly skeptical, but be outwardly hopeful.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar

Can't miss it when you read between the lines, and they are not really trying to hide it either. So yes to all posts above that are leary of the nra.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Yes, be inwardly skeptical, but be outwardly hopeful.
    Trust but verify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast