• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop Walks in on Robbery in Progress

The Expert

It may vary by jurisdiction, but I don't think that officers are allowed to shoot "fleeing felons" anymore. You chase him and get on the horn for backup. If he presents a danger to you or the public, then you shoot to stop the threat.

Can you shoot a fleeing felon with a taser?

Elkad

Looks like the robber's left hand was out of the officers view. Possibly holding a weapon. Sneaking up and putting a gun to his head seemed like a good move to prevent the bad guy from firing more than a single shot.

After that was bad though. Looked like he was trying to cuff him solo or something, with the perp still standing.

palerider116

Personally I am of the opinion, and through some lecture and training, that the moment someone whom you have identified as a potential threat becomes a genuine threat (ability, jeopardy, and opportunity in the general vernacular) you should not voice any commands at all but rather if you have an opportunity, pull your gun and deliver fire. Shouting commands eats up time, announces your location (unless he is fully aware of this), and can give him reason to believe you are not completely committed to using deadly force against him. I'm not saying there are times when issuing a command is never a good and viable thing to do because there are such times. However, if the threat is, so to speak, in your face like right now, and if you have a chance to get to your firearm, you are better served to use it without reservation and fanfare. Not altogether a simple thing for good folks.

I happen to agree with you wholeheartedly. There are great drawbacks in verbally challenging someone. Indecisiveness and lack of confidence in the justness of one's position is extremely dangerous when a person chooses to react in a self defense situation.

palerider116

Can you shoot a fleeing felon with a taser?

Legally, yes. Department policy and procedure may dictate otherwise. LE taser cartridges are typically the bright green ones that have a maximum range of 25 feet. 25 feet of wire doesn't equate to effective range. Secondly, the taser is not a precision weapon, so its fired and the darts deploy at slight angles to make a greater spread.

Then you have the possibility of broken wires, barbs that don't penetrate the clothing, and a whole host of other malfunctions.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There are great drawbacks in verbally challenging someone. Indecisiveness and lack of confidence in the justness of one's position is extremely dangerous when a person chooses to react in a self defense situation.

Absolutely dead on the money correct and exactly the gist of my posts.

I do see a few situations where an announcement of some sort may work in your favor, but when that threat is facing you and sudden in nature, if you are going to react, do so with all deliberate speed and without any sort of fanfare.

zack991

In any case( screw ups or not) the cop will learn something from this. Yet the best news about this is he gets to go home and the bad guy gets to meet bubbas little friend.

MedicineMan

All the "conjecture" in the world does not change the HORROR of this happening.

Just walking along like any free american one moment, then in microseconds you are in the middle of a dealy situation.

Now put on an "enemy" uniform.
Yes, it would be like a lone Marine unknowingly walking into a mooslem ter-rist hangout.

The cop is automatically there to do harm, and the fight or flight response kicks in for the badguy.

Had a really good friend SURVIVE an encounter like that at a stop and rob.
He was only going in for a coke, and walked into a robbery.

Same note.....

I have a family member buried in Hattiesburg, MS.
And his picture is on "the wall" at HPD.
He was a LEO, and walked into bank after work with paycheck in hand.
The robber saw the uniform and shot him before he even knew there was a robbery in progress

AFPVet

We were trained to NEVER take a subject down using PART [physical apprehension and restraint techniques] without backup. If we were alone, we ordered the subject down at gun point—feet away!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Personally I am of the opinion, and through some lecture and training, that the moment someone whom you have identified as a potential threat becomes a genuine threat (ability, jeopardy, and opportunity in the general vernacular) you should not voice any commands at all but rather if you have an opportunity, pull your gun and deliver fire. Shouting commands eats up time, announces your location (unless he is fully aware of this), and can give him reason to believe you are not completely committed to using deadly force against him.

Agreed, albeit with some reservation.

I'm not saying there are times when issuing a command is never a good and viable thing to do because there are such times. However, if the threat is, so to speak, in your face like right now, and if you have a chance to get to your firearm, you are better served to use it without reservation and fanfare. Not altogether a simple thing for good folks.

That's my reservation. I've been in enough situations to know that if the time comes where I have to pull the trigger, I will. However, I would prefer not to, if it can be avoided. If it's not avoidable, I'll fire. Going through that "is it avoidable?" checklist, even though it's short, might take a second or two.

If I weren't such a good guy, it'd simply be, "armed robbery in progress... BANG!"