Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metro searching bags

Metro searching bags

So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?
    This is a growing problem Uber!

When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.

It's obvious from the charge it did though.
    Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.

Searches

Due to the many recent news reports, http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/...m-bag-searches, I am even more diligent in exercising my open carry rights. Have almost given up my normal winter coat (black leather jacket) for thick sweaters to ensure visibility.

It has become increasingly obvious that TSA and Homeland Security are nothing more than a national police force to cow the citizenry, not organizations interested in securing the country from external enemies or protecting our borders..

do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.
    Oddly, however, when I was "randomly selected" for screening I was also openly carrying a firearm, as was the entire group I was with. The firearms were not an issue.

Everyone carried aboard the ferry and openly displayed their sidearms for the duration of the transit.

This comes to me as being a matter of education on the part of the "security" firm handling the screenings. Much like all of the hullabaloo we have read regarding the "enhanced" pat downs by the TSA - I opted out and did not feel sexually violated - it is a result of their training regimen (or lack thereof) which determines their ability to properly do their jobs.

What happened at the ferry landing was likely a direct result of Mr. Macho Britches being stripped of his self-imposed authority by a lowly citizen who knew the law better than him. It exploded out of control there by going through progressive iterations of poorly-informed, poorly-educated rent-a-cop types who do not like to be told they are wrong.

These are probably guys who could not make the cut at the academy and have spent the past several years stewing about their own inadequacies, waiting for their chance to exercise dominion over someone else.

They picked the wrong guy that day.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.
    From what I understand BoyScout, it's a condition of using the facility. If you refuse you have to hoof it.

Metro is a death trap. I quit taking it to Caps games 2 years ago. Driving is so much more peaceful. I'd much rather pay $10 to park at the game than pay $8 to ride Metro plus $4.50 to park in the Metro lot. And the Metro trains smell like a thrift shop.

Metro is a goverment agency. They should be held to the same reg. as other goverment

groups.

Cost to increase fares?

This is a growing problem Uber!

It's obvious from the charge it did though.
    Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.
    Well, this seems rather expensive. Will it cause fares to increase?

The General Assembly needs to look into this.

I don't believe that WMATA police are federal officers, they are regulated by the states and DC. Almost half of WMATA's funding comes from tax dollars, and they have to request the funds annually.

Virginia should cut all funding if WMATA insists on violating peoples constitutional rights.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

MTPD Chief Michael A. Taborn

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Does that boy have Baby Blue Grips?

Soon enough they'll want everyone searched upon exit of their own dwelling. But there isn't the manpower for that so they'll have to have a concentration of everyone into a camp-like area and strip them of all their rights there instead.
    Last edited by Curtis; 12-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

I just called them.

"Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I just called them.

"Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed

I've also had a Metro PD "officer" tell me to my face that carry was not allowed on any Metro train, even in Virginia (we were in MD at the time). Unfortunately, circumstances prevented my carrying the conversation as far as I should have, and I forgot about it until much later, when it was too late to address it the way it should have been. Thank you for following up.

Ed

Thanks again for your efforts. It is this exact question that I have. Is OC legal on the Metro within VA? I thought some of this had been hashed out on a previous thread.

PS. someone sent me your xmas card. Very nice!

I just called them.

The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.

E-mail and Postcard Sent to the Chief!

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.

I don't always go to Arlington, but when I do, I prefer to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.
    Be very aware that one of the rail lines traverses Arlington National Cemetary, where carry is not permitted. FOPA does not cover military bases, and it's intra-state,

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Be very aware that one of the rail lines traverses Arlington National Cemetary, where carry is not permitted. FOPA does not cover military bases, and it's intra-state,

stay safe.
    I thought that the metro and track was not part of Arlington cemetery? Then the questions comes up about going through the pentagon station.

I was just looking at the maps trying to fin where it crosses. According to google maps it appears that the entire line in off the cemetery. It looks like just off the cemetery. Are you talking about the north end of the station?

I thought that the metro and track was not part of Arlington cemetery? Then the questions comes up about going through the pentagon station.
    The Metro station is not part of the cemetery and is not part of the pentagon
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Does that boy have Baby Blue Grips?
    Those sure looked like blue guns to me.

So, how does that little "explosives detector" react to an item that's spent several hours on the range with me? Say, a purse? Should I pack something especially interesting/embarrassing in there next time I ride the Metro?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast