Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 183

Thread: Metro searching bags

  1. #1
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    Metro searching bags

    So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?
    This is a growing problem Uber!

    When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.

    It's obvious from the charge it did though.
    Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

    This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.

  3. #3
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Searches

    Due to the many recent news reports, http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/...m-bag-searches, I am even more diligent in exercising my open carry rights. Have almost given up my normal winter coat (black leather jacket) for thick sweaters to ensure visibility.

    It has become increasingly obvious that TSA and Homeland Security are nothing more than a national police force to cow the citizenry, not organizations interested in securing the country from external enemies or protecting our borders..

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?
    do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.

  5. #5
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.
    Oddly, however, when I was "randomly selected" for screening I was also openly carrying a firearm, as was the entire group I was with. The firearms were not an issue.

    Everyone carried aboard the ferry and openly displayed their sidearms for the duration of the transit.

    This comes to me as being a matter of education on the part of the "security" firm handling the screenings. Much like all of the hullabaloo we have read regarding the "enhanced" pat downs by the TSA - I opted out and did not feel sexually violated - it is a result of their training regimen (or lack thereof) which determines their ability to properly do their jobs.

    What happened at the ferry landing was likely a direct result of Mr. Macho Britches being stripped of his self-imposed authority by a lowly citizen who knew the law better than him. It exploded out of control there by going through progressive iterations of poorly-informed, poorly-educated rent-a-cop types who do not like to be told they are wrong.

    These are probably guys who could not make the cut at the academy and have spent the past several years stewing about their own inadequacies, waiting for their chance to exercise dominion over someone else.

    They picked the wrong guy that day.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.
    From what I understand BoyScout, it's a condition of using the facility. If you refuse you have to hoof it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970
    Metro is a death trap. I quit taking it to Caps games 2 years ago. Driving is so much more peaceful. I'd much rather pay $10 to park at the game than pay $8 to ride Metro plus $4.50 to park in the Metro lot. And the Metro trains smell like a thrift shop.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    52

    Metro is a goverment agency. They should be held to the same reg. as other goverment

    groups.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Cost to increase fares?

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    This is a growing problem Uber!

    When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.

    It's obvious from the charge it did though.
    Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

    This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.
    Well, this seems rather expensive. Will it cause fares to increase?

    The General Assembly needs to look into this.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    I don't believe that WMATA police are federal officers, they are regulated by the states and DC. Almost half of WMATA's funding comes from tax dollars, and they have to request the funds annually.

    Virginia should cut all funding if WMATA insists on violating peoples constitutional rights.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    MTPD Chief Michael A. Taborn

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Does that boy have Baby Blue Grips?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Soon enough they'll want everyone searched upon exit of their own dwelling. But there isn't the manpower for that so they'll have to have a concentration of everyone into a camp-like area and strip them of all their rights there instead.
    Last edited by Curtis; 12-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    I just called them.

    "Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I just called them.

    "Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed

    I've also had a Metro PD "officer" tell me to my face that carry was not allowed on any Metro train, even in Virginia (we were in MD at the time). Unfortunately, circumstances prevented my carrying the conversation as far as I should have, and I forgot about it until much later, when it was too late to address it the way it should have been. Thank you for following up.

  16. #16
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Ed

    Thanks again for your efforts. It is this exact question that I have. Is OC legal on the Metro within VA? I thought some of this had been hashed out on a previous thread.

    PS. someone sent me your xmas card. Very nice!

  17. #17
    Regular Member CHILINVLN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I just called them.

    "Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed
    The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    E-mail and Postcard Sent to the Chief!

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970
    Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.

    I don't always go to Arlington, but when I do, I prefer to drive.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.
    Be very aware that one of the rail lines traverses Arlington National Cemetary, where carry is not permitted. FOPA does not cover military bases, and it's intra-state,

    stay safe.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Be very aware that one of the rail lines traverses Arlington National Cemetary, where carry is not permitted. FOPA does not cover military bases, and it's intra-state,

    stay safe.
    I thought that the metro and track was not part of Arlington cemetery? Then the questions comes up about going through the pentagon station.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    I was just looking at the maps trying to fin where it crosses. According to google maps it appears that the entire line in off the cemetery. It looks like just off the cemetery. Are you talking about the north end of the station?

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    I thought that the metro and track was not part of Arlington cemetery? Then the questions comes up about going through the pentagon station.
    The Metro station is not part of the cemetery and is not part of the pentagon
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  25. #25
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Does that boy have Baby Blue Grips?
    Those sure looked like blue guns to me.

    So, how does that little "explosives detector" react to an item that's spent several hours on the range with me? Say, a purse? Should I pack something especially interesting/embarrassing in there next time I ride the Metro?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •