• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro searching bags

Uber_Olafsun

So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?

This is a growing problem Uber!

When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.

It's obvious from the charge it did though.
Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.

riverrat10k

Searches

Due to the many recent news reports, http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2010/12/metro-start-random-bag-searches, I am even more diligent in exercising my open carry rights. Have almost given up my normal winter coat (black leather jacket) for thick sweaters to ensure visibility.

It has become increasingly obvious that TSA and Homeland Security are nothing more than a national police force to cow the citizenry, not organizations interested in securing the country from external enemies or protecting our borders..

boyscout399

do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.

wylde007

When I was discussing Skidmarks case with VDOT, they are adamant that guns are perfectly legal on the Ferry and the problem didn't involve his firearm.
Oddly, however, when I was "randomly selected" for screening I was also openly carrying a firearm, as was the entire group I was with. The firearms were not an issue.

Everyone carried aboard the ferry and openly displayed their sidearms for the duration of the transit.

This comes to me as being a matter of education on the part of the "security" firm handling the screenings. Much like all of the hullabaloo we have read regarding the "enhanced" pat downs by the TSA - I opted out and did not feel sexually violated - it is a result of their training regimen (or lack thereof) which determines their ability to properly do their jobs.

What happened at the ferry landing was likely a direct result of Mr. Macho Britches being stripped of his self-imposed authority by a lowly citizen who knew the law better than him. It exploded out of control there by going through progressive iterations of poorly-informed, poorly-educated rent-a-cop types who do not like to be told they are wrong.

These are probably guys who could not make the cut at the academy and have spent the past several years stewing about their own inadequacies, waiting for their chance to exercise dominion over someone else.

They picked the wrong guy that day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
do they ask before they search? If they say, "you've been selected for a random search, you don't mind if I look in your bag, do you?" and you hand the bag over, you've consented to the search. Police can ask anyone anything. It's your job to deny if you feel your rights are being stepped on.

From what I understand BoyScout, it's a condition of using the facility. If you refuse you have to hoof it.

hunter45

Metro is a death trap. I quit taking it to Caps games 2 years ago. Driving is so much more peaceful. I'd much rather pay $10 to park at the game than pay $8 to ride Metro plus $4.50 to park in the Metro lot. And the Metro trains smell like a thrift shop.

Coolman

Metro is a goverment agency. They should be held to the same reg. as other goverment

groups.

Repeater

Cost to increase fares?

This is a growing problem Uber!

It's obvious from the charge it did though.
Homeland Security has admitted that they want to be in bus stations, subways, Etc.

This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the General Assembly BEFORE it goes any further.

Well, this seems rather expensive. Will it cause fares to increase?

The General Assembly needs to look into this.

nova

I don't believe that WMATA police are federal officers, they are regulated by the states and DC. Almost half of WMATA's funding comes from tax dollars, and they have to request the funds annually.

Virginia should cut all funding if WMATA insists on violating peoples constitutional rights.

curtiswr

Soon enough they'll want everyone searched upon exit of their own dwelling. But there isn't the manpower for that so they'll have to have a concentration of everyone into a camp-like area and strip them of all their rights there instead. :uhoh:

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I just called them.

"Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I just called them.

"Carter" just transferred me to "district 1" and I got no answer. I called back and got "Bates". He siad he could help me. I said I carry a firearm.. sometimes Openly, sometimes concealed. How would that be handled if I was randomly selected. He said I can't carry ANYWHERE on ANY TRAIN unless I was a police officer. I told him that is why I wanted to speak to somone that KNOWS and handle this on the phone instead of meet him at a train. He said "hang on". Came back and said his SGT told him.. that I can carry concealed in VA with a permit but I will get locked up in MD and DC. I told him I knew that but that I also travel with folks that don't have a permit and Openly Carry. He was quick to say "well then they can't ride". I said.. how bout transfer me to the SGT you asked earlier. I got transferred again to never ending ringing. I called back.. Bates answered again and I said nobody answered. He said hang on again and came back and said he (the SGT) will have to call ME back and took my name and number. Elapsed time of phone call(s) 12 mins. Time since the SGT was going to call me "right back" and this posting.. 30 mins. I guess I will call the chief next week. More to come. Ed

I've also had a Metro PD "officer" tell me to my face that carry was not allowed on any Metro train, even in Virginia (we were in MD at the time). Unfortunately, circumstances prevented my carrying the conversation as far as I should have, and I forgot about it until much later, when it was too late to address it the way it should have been. Thank you for following up.

riverrat10k

Ed

Thanks again for your efforts. It is this exact question that I have. Is OC legal on the Metro within VA? I thought some of this had been hashed out on a previous thread.

PS. someone sent me your xmas card. Very nice!

CHILINVLN

I just called them.

The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
E-mail and Postcard Sent to the Chief!

metro.jpg

hunter45

Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.

nova

Maybe we should schedule an OC lunch somewhere in Ballston. Everyone can park at Vienna and ride the Metro together to Ballston while OC'ing.
interesting-man.jpg

I don't always go to Arlington, but when I do, I prefer to drive.