• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro searching bags

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The guy is a moron. There should be no reason why you can not openly/conceal carry if boarding a METRO train and staying within the limits of VA. You can easily board at Vienna and connect at Rosslyn, and de-train at Springfield with no issue. At most, they could do the typical "No Firearms" and enforce a no trespassing charge.

Be very aware that one of the rail lines traverses Arlington National Cemetary, where carry is not permitted. FOPA does not cover military bases, and it's intra-state,

stay safe.

Uber_Olafsun

I was just looking at the maps trying to fin where it crosses. According to google maps it appears that the entire line in off the cemetery. It looks like just off the cemetery. Are you talking about the north end of the station?

Riana

Does that boy have Baby Blue Grips?:shocker:

Those sure looked like blue guns to me.

So, how does that little "explosives detector" react to an item that's spent several hours on the range with me? Say, a purse? Should I pack something especially interesting/embarrassing in there next time I ride the Metro?:cool:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
The Metro station is not part of the cemetery
arlingtonmetro.jpg

ed

The Metro station is not part of the pentagon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_(WMATA_station)

The station is located underground, adjacent to The Pentagon, and formerly had a direct (but secure) entrance to the Pentagon and its underground shopping center. This entrance was closed in 2001 as part of the Pentagon Renovation Program.[5] Access to the Pentagon is now gained via a new secured entrance facility above ground near the bus depot and the entrances to the subway station. The new exit features signage displayed at Gallery Place-Chinatown and newer stations.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Those sure looked like blue guns to me.

So, how does that little "explosives detector" react to an item that's spent several hours on the range with me? Say, a purse? Should I pack something especially interesting/embarrassing in there next time I ride the Metro?:cool:

Given how the govgoon gets his gloves on the backpack--the same leather gloves he uses to handle the swab patch--I don't think it will matter. Unless he changes the gloves for every article he searches, he's cross-contaminating the next swab with the surface-area of the earlier backpack he touched but didn't swab.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So they are randomly searching bags again on the metro. My question is what authority do they have for searching people at random since technically police aren't suppose to do random searches? Also what do you think they would do if they saw an OCer in the VA stations?

That, and what authority do they have to deny you access if you refuse consent.

I wanna see the rights-dissolving statute.

Stafford_1911

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_(WMATA_station)

The station is located underground, adjacent to The Pentagon, and formerly had a direct (but secure) entrance to the Pentagon and its underground shopping center. This entrance was closed in 2001 as part of the Pentagon Renovation Program.[5] Access to the Pentagon is now gained via a new secured entrance facility above ground near the bus depot and the entrances to the subway station. The new exit features signage displayed at Gallery Place-Chinatown and newer stations.

While it is true that you can no longer enter the building directly from the metro platform and that technically the station is adjacent to the build in the sense that it is not under it, the Pentagon metro station is on the Pentagon reservation. As such it is my opinion that the same rules and regulations apply in that station as they do on any other military reservation. That includes passing through on the train just as it does when passing through Ft. Belvoir on a bus.

hsmith

Carrying on the metro is risky business in may ways - but the bag searching is inevitable - but not saying that it is correct. The biggest risk I see is if you are on the train and for some reason they skip the Rosslyn Metro stop - you are absolutely screwed. Knowing the reliability of the WMATA system it is a very, very real possibility. It is by far the worst run organization around here. Add to that, crowded trains and your ability to secure the weapon goes out the door.

ed

The reservation is defined here: http://www.pfpa.mil/visit/codes.html it’s a total area of around 280 acres.

The platform its self is under the Metrobus platform. Both are located between the building and south parking which is the Sothern boundary of the reservation.

I’ll continue to look for a boundary map after the boy's b-day party.
The boy picked a great day to have a birthday (it's mine too).

I checked too.. and while it might be within the bounfry MAP of the reservation, it is not part of the reservation. Maybe you can get nabbed if you leave the station while armed.. but the station, and tracks are not.

TFred

Carrying on the metro is risky business in may ways - but the bag searching is inevitable - but not saying that it is correct. The biggest risk I see is if you are on the train and for some reason they skip the Rosslyn Metro stop - you are absolutely screwed. Knowing the reliability of the WMATA system it is a very, very real possibility. It is by far the worst run organization around here. Add to that, crowded trains and your ability to secure the weapon goes out the door.
From everything I've seen, they aren't searching for guns (unless you are in one of the prohibited jurisdictions), but rather for more destructive items.

The risk of missing that last stop is probably the best argument yet for carrying concealed while on the Metro. If they do miss the stop, and you are Openly Carrying, everybody knows you are in trouble. If you are carrying concealed, you just calmly get off at the next stop, wait for the return train, and go back to the land of freedom.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
From everything I've seen, they aren't searching for guns (unless you are in one of the prohibited jurisdictions), but rather for more destructive items.

Not this chick they aren't. If it means I don't ride Metro, so be it. That's why the gods made men smart enough to invent cars.

I've also heard rumor that the total "search" force is about 20 people. That doesn't make it right.

It's the search that's wrong, not their idea of what I might carry. And from Ed's conversations, I've already seen the "training" isn't.

lockman

State Researcher
So let me get this straight. A persons bags, packages (not your junk) and backpacks can be randomly selected for inspection but even if you refuse a search you can still board with the blocks of C4 and detonators under your clothing as long as you do not take the items subject to search?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So let me get this straight. A persons bags, packages (not your junk) and backpacks can be randomly selected for inspection but even if you refuse a search you can still board with the blocks of C4 and detonators under your clothing as long as you do not take the items subject to search?

There is nothing to stop them from expanding the searches to include your inner thighs, groin, buttocks, and breasts. Nothing. Except maybe rider volume and delays.

First, recall that there were no subway searches for the longest time after 9/11.

This has all been search-creep. The government and contractors taking advantage of whatever justification they think they can sell.

Its security theater, and we're paying for the show. The fact that they cannot possibly search enough people to have a good chance of catching a terrorist, without slowing the commuter system to screaming outrage at the delay tells the tale. This is just theater. An opportunity to get the cattle used to more intrusion. A chance to make grow the government and make more money. A chance as another poster said, to morph TSA and DHS into a national police force to control the population.

Its just the next step after SWAT patrols. After the next intelligence report, false flag terrorist attempt, or even a real attempt in another country, they'll expand the intrusion. Probably won't even wait for any of that to add another 200 searchers just to get the existing program into effect in all subway stations.

Uber_Olafsun

4th Amendment. They have no warrant no search. If they did their proper investigations they would have a better chance of knowing who has c4 prior to them getting to a metro station. They could find something at the station and the person could set it off there.

America was not founded on the govt. protecting us. It was founded on ourselves protecting ourselves. That is something lost on big cities. Back where my father lives in Iowa one of my brothers friends was being stupid and got chased by the cops. They had a chase and the cops lost him. Well the reason they lost him is because most of the roads have no lights and at one turn he went off a bridge. He wrecked his cars and was pinned. No one knew right away. After a bit they realized that know one heard from him and the formed search parties to include the cops and locals. They had everyone that was able assemble to find him. They found him and he had to lose both legs but the fact that the towns pulled together for the greater good says something.

Until Jan and Iowa's new laws come into effect about carry I can assure you that if someone went into this town and started to shoot at people there would be a hell of a lot more shooting back to protect their fellow man and women. This is a town for that awhile did not have a full time police force and had to depend on their neighbors.

On a funny side the guy that lost his legs was in my brothers wedding party. During the bachelor party the entertainment was spanking him with a belt and he kept yelling hit him harder that it didn't hurt. He pointed to his legs and said that f*^* hurt. Never seen an entire bachelor party go dead silent for a minute before falling on the floor laughing.