• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tim Carpenter Reply

Birdhunter

See attached for his reply to my letter regarding constitutional carry. Based on his reply, I can see that he doesn't get the entire constitutional carry concept (specifically paragraph three in his reply).

FYI,

-Jason

Attachments

• Tim Carpenter Reply.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 152

TyGuy

Yay! We can conceal in our own homes. Thank you very much.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hmmm... I thought it was a Supreme Court case that gave us the right to concealed carry in in homes and businesses. The law itself says it is illegal.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
If you really want to get nit picky the court only recognized that our right to conceal firearms within a private business or residence outweights the states need to enforce 941.23 when subjected to the test they made up in the decision. They didn't give us anything. But nobody is picking nits; are we? :p

In any case, it seems as if this is a dumbed down response given to people when he is unsure of what they truly know about the subject. I would encourage you to write Tim again to clarify to him what you want and that you KNOW what you are asking for. Maybe then he would send back a less generic response?

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

In any case, it seems as if this is a dumbed down response given to people when he is unsure of what they truly know about the subject. I would encourage you to write Tim again to clarify to him what you want and that you KNOW what you are asking for. Maybe then he would send back a less generic response?

True, send him WCI's Constitutional Carry brochure. It lays it out quite plainly.

Birdhunter

Here's the body of my letter:

"I am writing to ask you to support the Constitutional Carry of weapons in the upcoming legislative session.
The purpose of Constitutional Carry is to allow the law-abiding citizen the ability to carry a weapon for their defense without adding additional fees, laws, or government registration. At the state GOP convention in Milwaukee last year the Wisconsin Republican Party changed their platform to remove the words “permit” from their stance on the right to carry, specifically supporting the right to carry without a permit.

I think that this is an important issue for the citizens of Wisconsin. I have attached additional information from Wisconsin Carry regarding this issue for you to review, and am asking you for your support on this issue.
Thank you for your time regarding this matter."

Seems to me that I was clear on what I was asking for (and even attached the WCI flyer). I think that he's trying to dodge the issue.

-Jason

Last edited:

MKEgal

Well, I learned something... I didn't know WI now has a no-confiscation law.
Nice.
I haven't even heard that much from my reps. Of course, they probably voted against all the things your rep voted for, which is really a shame. They're both black & both represent fairly low-income areas of Milwaukee City, with large black populations, so I'd think that they'd be more up on their history of discrimination (gun control enacted by the KKK to keep slaves from fighting back, that sort of thing).

MKEgal

Sancho Panza said:
AB 581 created §166.25
Chapter 166 no longer exists. http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/Statutes.html

Go away, Doug.

The law is 323.24 - Prohibition against restricting firearms or ammunition during emergency.
A person who is granted emergency powers under this subchapter may not use those powers to restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0323.pdf

Sancho Panza

Banned
Good, you copied it, but did you read it with understanding?

"A person who is granted emergency powers under this subchapter may not use those powers..." Does not prohibit your sheriff, police chief or dog catcher exercising his existing powers. Read § 323.14, or, better, read all of it.

Muchas gracias y Feliz Navidad. Bwa Ja ja ja

MKEgal

read 323, subchapter 2 "powers & duties related to emergency management"

Apparently I read it with more understanding than you, Doug.

See where it mentions the duties &/or powers of:
governor, adjutant general, local government, heads of emergency management, law enforcement officers, state traffic patrol officers, conservation wardens, and even volunteers. (323.12 - 323.18, inclusive)

I'd say that covers the sheriff & police chief from several angles, though you might have to stretch "local government" a bit to cover the dog catcher.

A person who is granted emergency powers under this subchapter may not use those powers to restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency. 323.24