• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attendance needed in Taylor 12/20 and 12/21

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Wordsmithing & foot dragging on their part.

They had 3 bad ordinances to date they have updated only 2. The updates they made would leave the average person who read the posting in the local paper to think that they may have to go to court to get Taylor to recognize their right to self protection carrying a firearm. Clarity is the issue. I asked if they read what was published in the paper and was told "no we don't get the paper".

Judge for your self. If you just moved to Taylor would you think it was okay to open carry from what they published?

TaylorF_UP.jpg

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I'm not looking for an argument nor condemn anyone's actions. I just want to try and understand why so much energy is being focused on changing city ordinances that are not enforceable anyway. I could see if someone was being charged and jacked over because of it, then fight for changes.

May I have a "calm" explanation?

Well, if you have a well trained Police force that excepts OC as the legal activity it is, you're spot on. However if you have cities like Taylor, Warren, Royal Oak etc... that harass OCers then I think energy does need to be expended to draw attention for their contempt of our rights under the law. JMHO ;)

P.S. Where can I get a hat like that? Also we should go to Arthur's Pizza again in the near future, your thoughts oh wise one?

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Quote from earlier post.

Please see bold below

It has been conveyed to a member of MOC by an official in Taylor that it would be in the best interest of Open Carriers to address Taylor about their terribly written ordinance update before the years end. We should attend their study session on Monday the 20th at 5:30pm and Tuesday's Council meeting at 7:00 pm to express our concerns with the gun ordinances changes made. Only 5 or 6 people are needed to attend the study session on Monday. If you can only attend one meeting, it should be the Council meeting on Tuesday. We had a great turnout when we visited Taylor in the past, let's show them we are not one trick ponies and fill the room again.

To review the ordinance, please visit this thread.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ance-update-Any-ideas-people&highlight=taylor

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
Several municipalities are trying this crap.

They are side stepping the issue, that being clarity in law.

We need to go after them one by one.

Concentrate our efforts and make them do their jobs.

Then we move to the next city.

Very soon we won't need to all show up in large groups. All we'll have to do is show them what happened in other cities and demand they comply.

They want to keep these laws on the books so they can intimidate the little people.

I'll be there.

dougwg

Ok.. I have a silly question.........

When the wording... "in accordance with State law" ... or ... "not contrary to State law"... or ... "as allowed by State law" .... is used does that refer to actual black letter law already passed and on the books?

The reason I'm asking is........... if there is no law that restricts an activity (OC) is the lack of a law.......... the law? Or does there have to be a law to reference for "as allowed" or "not contrary" or "in accordance with".

So... is the lack of a law a law? Or are these phrases booby traps since they refer to a law on the books and not the lack of a law on the books.

I hope I've not confused y'all.... I did confuse myself though.
That's why the "firearm" provision needs to be removed.

WARCHILD

Well, if you have a well trained Police force that excepts OC as the legal activity it is, you're spot on. However if you have cities like Taylor, Warren, Royal Oak etc... that harass OCers then I think energy does need to be expended to draw attention for their contempt of our rights under the law. JMHO ;)

P.S. Where can I get a hat like that? Also we should go to Arthur's Pizza again in the near future, your thoughts oh wise one?

If I were a wise one...I'd buy a new damn hat!:p

Soon as we get the holidays out of the way...Arthurs sounds real good!!
How about a tentative...Sun Jan 2nd...noonish?

B

Bikenut

If I were a wise one...I'd buy a new damn hat!:p

Soon as we get the holidays out of the way...Arthurs sounds real good!!
How about a tentative...Sun Jan 2nd...noonish?

If I had any extra money I'd buy ya a damn hat!!!

Arthurs sounds good to Yooperlady and I.... we will be there.

Not to hijack this thread.... I must confess that illness has prevented us from following up on New Lothrop's ordinance.... and I feel guilty about that...

But..............

I think any and all illegal ordinances MUST be addressed because.... if one person reads an illegal ordinance, or a purposefully confusing ordinance, and comes away with an understanding (a purposefully implied by the municipality understanding) that OC is illegal then that ordinance has just been enforced.

Enforcement can be active or passive... if it's on the books and is read by a citizen then that is passive enforcement.

dougwg

I think any and all illegal ordinances MUST be addressed because.... if one person reads an illegal ordinance, or a purposefully confusing ordinance, and comes away with an understanding (a purposefully implied by the municipality understanding) that OC is illegal then that ordinance has just been enforced.

Enforcement can be active or passive... if it's on the books and is read by a citizen then that is passive enforcement.

You understand perfectly! :)

Wglide90

Hey guys... I understand issue of the wordsmithing of the laws. And if they draging feet on training and awareness for the LEO force then yes we have them take appropriate actions. If the council deliberately implements training of the new verbage and its implications to allow all state laws prevail, and not to be contrary to all state gun laws.

I do feel the verbage is legally OK, could be easier to understand.

I'd like to get there but have family stuff going on and getting ready to head up north for Christmas.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Great job Rob Harris & Doug, and the new guys!

I can't wait for them to post the video on Taylor's website. We had a decent turnout and many of those there were brand new members that had signed up at the Gander Mt. seminar in Taylor on 12/9. Way to go new guys! Hats off to you Sirs. You know who you are and it makes me proud to see such fine new members getting engaged in our worthy cause.

http://www.cityoftaylor.com/councilmeetings

Last edited:

jeremy05

Finally got to see it. The city council was rude and not even paying attention to you guys when you were talking!

They admit to knowing their law is un enforceable, but they dont care. Just wait to get harasses then sue the city. That will get their attention.