• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

Dreamer

I'll never understand how people "forget" where they have a firearm...

I know exactly where all my firearms are. I've NEVER "forgot" that I had a firearm in a bag, or in my car, or whatever.

Anyone who would "forget" where they left a firearm probably shouldn't own--let alone carry--firearms...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Human nature. Get caught up in the daily rush, push, grind. Get your attention commanded by the next deadline, the rush to make that bus, commuter train, dinner date, day-care deadline (cause you pay extra if they watch the kids late).

Its not that they actually forget. Its that other things demand/command come up that demand more attention, draw enough attention away from the gun (and anything else). Some people (lots) just do not put their attention back on the whatever, and sometimes the "whatever" is a gun.

Last edited:

MK

If I were that Iranian-American businessman, I surely wouldn't have went to the news with my story. I hope he enjoys being getting the full service treatment everytime he travels on an airline from that point forward. He criticizes them saying that its impossible to miss it yet the dimwit missed it himself and its his gun and his bag he carried it within.

That's assuming the story he's telling is true.

MK

If screeners were made to fly on the specific planes they were screening passengers for, I bet their success rate during these tests would improve dramatically.

They should have a random number of tests done for every screening station everyday with some sort of small bonus or comp time accumulation for every worker that helps to find an item. This would keep them on their toes and give them the idea that something or another has a good chance of passing under their nose on any particular day.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If screeners were made to fly on the specific planes they were screening passengers for, I bet their success rate during these tests would improve dramatically.

They should have a random number of tests done for every screening station everyday with some sort of small bonus or comp time accumulation for every worker that helps to find an item. This would keep them on their toes and give them the idea that something or another has a good chance of passing under their nose on any particular day.

Hey!! Quit giving them ideas! You and I know that if they get unionized, all this will be done as "overtime" at 2X pay for the time. The security theater system is already expensive enough.

:)

Dreamer

They should have a random number of tests done for every screening station everyday with some sort of small bonus or comp time accumulation for every worker that helps to find an item.

I think if this were the case, there would be an HUGE jump in sales for Jennings and Cobra pistols to TSA employees as "throw-down pieces" to plant in the luggage of blond-haired, blue-eyes 8-year-olds, hot women, and patriotic citizens who insisted their rights not be violated...

I don't mean nothing by that, I'm just sayin'...

cbpeck

I know exactly where all my firearms are. I've NEVER "forgot" that I had a firearm in a bag, or in my car, or whatever.

Anyone who would "forget" where they left a firearm probably shouldn't own--let alone carry--firearms...

On the one hand, I agree with this statement. I have never misplaced one of my guns, but I could see it happening. Nobody's perfect... that's why we practice redundant safety measures, right?

Alexcabbie

Guns are a lot like underpants. You might not be thinking all the time whether you are wearing them, but you don't forget them, either.

Or, maybe better, I always have my wallet and keys with me. Don't think about it much, but when a situation arises which might involve either I am instantly aware of the exact location of both.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I can never remember having forgotten that I had a pistol with me,,nor where I'd put any of my weapons. That's as irresponsible as I've ever heard of.

Oh, I don't know. Definitely forgetful.

I'm thinking "irresponsible" would be more along the lines of leaving it somewhere a child could get ahold of it. As in, knowing there are kids around, but not caring whether they go exploring in the sock drawer where you've hidden it.

I kinda think we've bought into something sold us by government and anti-gunners, too: the idea that a gun is somehow such a dangerous item that it must be completely secured at all instants because if it gets into into criminal hands then the heavens will fall because some innocent person might get shot. This is an attitude which only works because of an unseen premise: that there are enough people who can't or won't own a gun for self-defense. If lots more people had or carried guns, nobody would much care about an extra one left here or there forgetfully. And, nobody would worry much about one more felon who might use it to rob or shoot a citizen, especially when they steal even the secure ones. If lots more people had and carried guns, it would become more like the guy who leaves his wallet or keys on the counter at 7-Eleven. "Hey, buddy, you forgot your XD. By the way, how do you like its ergonomics."

mark-in-texas

What's missing from this story is to note that without any criminal intent, flying with a firearm is as uneventful and safe as if it would have been a CD player or a bottle of water. Sure, some of us might through the 'irresponsible' flag in this situation; but face it, not all of us are Andy Griffiths, some are Barny Fifes. That's ok though, they've all got the same legal and moral rights to be free and secure in their lives. Pre-9/11 I once flew with a partial box of 22 ammo in my carry-on; got home and went 'opps!!' then went out and 'properly' disposed of them...:cool:

john-in-reno

TSA Prohibited Items

Guns are not allowed on an airplane but this might surprise you:

TSA Prohibited and Allowed Items

Item / Carry-on / Checked
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches / Yes / Yes
Tools (seven inches or less in length) / Yes / Yes
Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) / Yes / Yes
Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length) / Yes / Yes

Scissors are allowed but water bottles are not???

Oh ya that's right they might drowned someone with the water! LOL

Last edited:

Jack House

The dude didn't lose his gun. He forgot to take it out of his laptop case. What's the big deal?

I always wear steel toed boots. Always. One day when I went to sit in on a case at a court, I passed through the metal detector and set it off. The guard completely ignored it. :uhoh: But I digress. when I brought it up, the guard asked why I set off the detector, I told him I had no idea, as far as I was aware, I didn't have anything metal on me. I had completely forgotten that I was wearing them. I did not lose my boots, they were on my feet! I just forgot they contained metal. Again, the man did not lose his gun or misplace it. He just forgot to take it out of his bag.

skipbadger

TSABinLaden.jpg

since9

Campaign Veteran
Scissors are allowed but water bottles are not???

Actually, they are. You just can't have any water in them as you pass through the security. I refill mine immediately afterwards.

Just after 9/11, a flight attendant startled, and she asked me, "How did you get that threw security?"

"Empty," I replied. "I refilled it from the water fountain next to the boarding gate."

It took her about seven seconds of wrapping her head around that one before it all sank in.