• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Valley Medical Center regarding Hospital Policy

joeroket

Those are all good arguments guys. I may just have to change my stance that preemption most likely does apply to public hospital districts. The unfortunate thing is that they are going to stick with the stance that they are required by law to promulgate rules that create a safe and non-hostile atmosphere for the public and employees. It will not change until it gets fought in court.

MKEgal

joeroket said:
... they are going to stick with the stance that they are required by law to promulgate rules that create a safe and non-hostile atmosphere for the public and employees.

Even though the current atmosphere isn't safe, and is hostile to some guests & employees?

If there was discussion prior to this thread, I haven't seen it, so please forgive the question: Does the hospital have metal detectors & guards at all of its entrances?
If not, then they're not a "weapons free zone" by any stretch of the imagination, & have opened themselves up to liability for injury or death for people who would otherwise be able to protect themselves but were barred from doing so by the hospital policy.

BTW, from what I've read here it sure looks like the current policy is against the law. Be interesting to see what happens next.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Even though the current atmosphere isn't safe, and is hostile to some guests & employees?

If there was discussion prior to this thread, I haven't seen it, so please forgive the question: Does the hospital have metal detectors & guards at all of its entrances?
If not, then they're not a "weapons free zone" by any stretch of the imagination, & have opened themselves up to liability for injury or death for people who would otherwise be able to protect themselves but were barred from doing so by the hospital policy.

BTW, from what I've read here it sure looks like the current policy is against the law. Be interesting to see what happens next.

No Hospitals in the King/Snohomish/Pierce counties have metal detectors or guards at all entrances.
None of them are Weapon free zones. It is an illusion. It's the old "out of site, out of mind" theory.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

This statement has been boasted many many times in many different forums "& have opened themselves up to liability for injury or death for people who would otherwise be able to protect themselves but were barred from doing so by the hospital policy. " and yet I have never heard of one lawsuit to support such a stance, have you?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

David,
Are you just plain nuts?

Personally, I have always thought this was an open carry forum. It would seem to me to argue to might be better argued in a different forum.

Now, from reading all this, it would seem that State Preemption would apply.

Good points and don't worry about "Big" Dave, he doesn't open carry and takes great care to make sure no one knows he's carrying.

amlevin

This statement has been boasted many many times in many different forums "& have opened themselves up to liability for injury or death for people who would otherwise be able to protect themselves but were barred from doing so by the hospital policy. " and yet I have never heard of one lawsuit to support such a stance, have you?

All that a lawsuit would accomplish is that they might change their rules to allow only Concealed Carry with a permit or a rule similar to the Seattle Center where a CPL is required to carry.

The sad part of any lawsuit challenging the denial of the right to self defense is that it will more likely than not require that someone be injured or killed before there's enough incentive to file one.

Last edited: