• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry if I have a concealed weapons permit and I am staying in Dc for two night

damienrr

We are planning a trip to Fl and were thinking of stay in DC on our way back a couple of nights. Can anyone tell me if I have a State of Maine and State of Fl non resident concealed weapons permit can I carry in DC? Wondering if we stay and leave the guns in the car as well or is that against the law? Please help us!!

Curmudgeon

There is no way I would even drive through DC non-stop, let alone stay there with my weapon. As for carry, there are better ways to commit suicide!

Look into a nice hotel in Rosslyn, VA. It is right across the river from DC, only 1/2 mile from Georgetown, and about 3 miles from the Mall. There is a metro station in Rosslyn and can take you to any of the sights you might wish to see.

Virginia is just about the polar opposite of DC as far as gun rights are concerned.

Google search... http://www.google.com/search?q=rosslyn+va+hotles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zV2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&q=rosslyn+va+hotels+near+metro&aq=1&aqi=g2g-v3&aql=&oq=rosslyn+va+hotels&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

Edit: Forget to stress this... when you leave VA to visit DC, leave the firearm locked up in VA.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You ask a direct question and deserve a direct answer.

NO! Possession of an unregistered firearm in DC is a felony, and there is no way a non-resident can register a firearm in DC. Possession of ammunition without a correspomding registered firearm is a felony for each round of ammunition.

Given the number of metal detectors and other searches one is required to submit to in DC - think entering any government building amd many other public buildings, plus many private buildings as well - the odds of getting caight are quite high. Unless you would like to extend your vacation by several decades, I'd follow the suggestion to stop in Virginia and leave the hardware in the hotel/motel while visiting the seat of government.

Also remember that Maryland does not like to honor FOPA unless you are passing through non-stop (meaning they have not stopped you for any reason). New York and New Jersey also pose problems for you. I'm just going to presume you will take the long way and avoid Massachusetts and Connecticut altogether, so will not get into their peculiarities.

stay safe.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Actually, He CAN CARRY! I make the assumption that he has no physical impairment that would make it IMPOSSIBLE to carry that amount of mass.

HE JUST CAN'T DO IT LEGALLY!

virginiatuck

We are planning a trip to Fl and were thinking of stay in DC on our way back a couple of nights. Can anyone tell me if I have a State of Maine and State of Fl non resident concealed weapons permit can I carry in DC? Wondering if we stay and leave the guns in the car as well or is that against the law? Please help us!!

Others have already covered the subject very well. If you really must see D.C., stay at a hotel in northern Virginia and leave your firearms in a (relatively) safe place, such as a safe deposit box. Obviously banks have them, but some hotels have them, too. I'm sure you know, you should never use the room safe; they're uh, unsafe.

I'd just add that leaving something valuable in your car is a good way to lose it, especially in the D.C. metropolitan area. Got a GPS? Take it with you when you leave your car, no matter where it is parked. Don't leave any type of electronic device holder on the window or dashboard. Some thieves will break into your car with nothing to go on but the mark the suction-cup mount leaves on the window. So keep your windows clean of those marks, too.

Dreamer

Unless your name is Barbara Mikulski, Dianne Feinstein, Ted Kennedy, or any other of a number of frothing anti-gun politicians who hold CC permits, carrying in the District of Columbia is a felony. And every round of ammo you have that isn't registered is a felony as well.

The best way to carry while in DC is to stay on the Virginia side of the river...

Thundar

He plead guilty and sentencing is coming up. Wonder what it will be?

Very sad that he plead guilty. The trailer was obviously his HOME. SCOTUS said the RKBA is greatest in the home. And that there is an individual right to KABA in the home.

The law is immoral and the citizen is without the stain of sin. What a pathetic $#!+ h0le the Federal district has become under "home rule"

Dreamer

Not to mention that the search of his vehicle where they found the firearms and ammo was unlawful, because it was based on the statement by the police that he had an "explosive device" on his trailor.

This charge was dismissed in his trial, because it was determined that a spare battery and a couple propane canisters on the back of a camping trailor do not constitute an "explosive device"...

He should SERIOUSLY consider an appeal, and should be filing a Federal 1983 Civil Rights Violation lawsuit against U.S. Park Police...