• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2010 House Bill 6053

malignity

At first glance, I was about to say why use pepper spray and possibly not get the job done when I can use my gun and be sure to stop my attacker.. but defending property you say? Now that's a reason to get some pepper spray.

"Hello, Fox Labs?"

eastmeyers

I just read the second link provided, I will look over the first one (I have a feeling it will take longer), but the second one basically says, that its only for CPL holders, people that are exempt from CPLs (cops and such), and people who take a safty class on the sparys.

eastmeyers

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billenrolled/House/htm/2010-HNB-6053.htm

Sec. 224d. (1) As used in this section and section 224, “self-defense spray or foam device” means a device to which all of the following apply:
(a) The device is capable of carrying, and ejects, releases, or emits 1 of the following:
(i) Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients.
(ii) A solution containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum.
(b) The device does not eject, release, or emit any gas or substance that will temporarily or permanently disable, incapacitate, injure, or harm a person with whom the gas or substance comes in contact, other than the substance described in subdivision (a)(i) or (ii).
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who uses a self-defense spray or foam device to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum at another person is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.
(3) If a person uses a self-defense spray or foam device during the commission of a crime to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum or threatens to use a self-defense spray or foam device during the commission of a crime to temporarily or permanently disable another person, the judge who imposes sentence upon a conviction for that crime shall consider the defendant’s use or threatened use of the self-defense spray or foam device as a reason for enhancing the sentence.
(4) A person shall not sell a self-defense spray or foam device to a minor. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.
(5) Subsection (2) does not prohibit either of the following:
(a) The reasonable use of a self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum by a person who is employed by a county sheriff or a chief of police and who is authorized in writing by the county sheriff or chief of police to carry and use a self-defense spray or foam device and has been trained in the use, effects, and risks of the device, while in performance of his or her official duties.
(b) The reasonable use of a self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum by a person in the protection of a person or property under circumstances that would justify the person’s use of physical force.

Guess they took all that crap out of the way along the legislative processe.

Bailenforcer

They never passed my taser bill I spent so much time on a few years back, it's still sitting there. I called every member of the Michigan House/Senate and brow beat them over it. The election pretty much destroyed that.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

sprinklerguy28

Signed into law on 12/22/2010.

You can now use OC spray to defend yourself and property. A slow step in the right direction.

Michigander

At first glance, I was about to say why use pepper spray and possibly not get the job done when I can use my gun and be sure to stop my attacker.. but defending property you say? Now that's a reason to get some pepper spray.

"Hello, Fox Labs?"

Before you carry it, make sure you can handle cross contamination from either wind, or an assailant wiping his face and punching you.

As a cop, with other cops backing you up, it makes sense, because other guys with guns are there if you get taken out of the situations by not being able to see. As an individual who could easily wind up dead if he can't see, it doesn't make sense. A fight is not a gun fight, a pepper spray fight, or a knife fight, a fight is a fight. It's not good to voluntarily get into fights, even if the law allows you to, because to fight is to be at risk of death.

I would also suggest carefully considering that pepper spray, even the 2% stuff, can jam up, sort of like blood clots clogging arteries, and leave you weaponless. I used to carry pepper spray before I carried guns, then tried to spray myself with it a number of times to see if I could work myself up to handling it. When I realized I couldn't, I quit carrying it.

xmanhockey7

I'm confused on what exactly this is allowing us to do. I don't have a CPL so what does it mean for me? I am now allowed to carry a more powerful pepper spray with safety class training?

B

Bikenut

Before you carry it, make sure you can handle cross contamination from either wind, or an assailant wiping his face and punching you.

As a cop, with other cops backing you up, it makes sense, because other guys with guns are there if you get taken out of the situations by not being able to see. As an individual who could easily wind up dead if he can't see, it doesn't make sense. A fight is not a gun fight, a pepper spray fight, or a knife fight, a fight is a fight. It's not good to voluntarily get into fights, even if the law allows you to, because to fight is to be at risk of death.

I would also suggest carefully considering that pepper spray, even the 2% stuff, can jam up, sort of like blood clots clogging arteries, and leave you weaponless. I used to carry pepper spray before I carried guns, then tried to spray myself with it a number of times to see if I could work myself up to handling it. When I realized I couldn't, I quit carrying it.

This is why I consider OC/pepper spray more of a problem than a solution to a problem. All it takes is for the wind to be blowing towards you from behind the bad guy and ... congratulations... you just sprayed yourself along with the bad guy. Or, as Michigander pointed out, wrastlin' with the bad guy only serves to spread the spray onto you.

Both of which make it easier for the bad guy to win.

So... to my way of thinking... those who carry guns do not, not ever, get into those weenie measuring things called fist fights. Those who carry guns do not get into fights of any kind... at any time... for any reason... unless it is a fight to defend life/prevent great bodily harm or sexual penetration.

And if the the only fights a person gets involved in are fights to defend a gun is more reliable and more effective than any spray.

xmanhockey7

This is why I consider OC/pepper spray more of a problem than a solution to a problem. All it takes is for the wind to be blowing towards you from behind the bad guy and ... congratulations... you just sprayed yourself along with the bad guy. Or, as Michigander pointed out, wrastlin' with the bad guy only serves to spread the spray onto you.

Both of which make it easier for the bad guy to win.

So... to my way of thinking... those who carry guns do not, not ever, get into those weenie measuring things called fist fights. Those who carry guns do not get into fights of any kind... at any time... for any reason... unless it is a fight to defend life/prevent great bodily harm or sexual penetration.

And if the the only fights a person gets involved in are fights to defend a gun is more reliable and more effective than any spray.

I try to deescalate any and all situations. The first step is ignoring any idiots. Sometimes though they can't be ignored. At which time I try to calm them down and resolve the situation with only words. The next is getting physical with the person if I have to. The last resort is using my firearm which is one thing I never never never never never never want to use. Of course any part can be skipped based on what they do like pulling out a knife at which point I'd use my firearm.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Would the foam sprays be better?