• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can't decide...

Which would you rather carry?

• A spare magazine

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • A backup gun, but with less rounds

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

malignity

I recently picked up a pocket pistol (Kel-Tec PF-9), and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I want to do with it. I typically use it as my CC gun when I'm dodging in and out of PFZ's and need something small to leave in the truck where I can't legally carry, and throw in my pocket after.

I'm trying to figure out now what I should do with it when I also have my EDC with me. I typically carry my spare magazine where I'd put my PF-9; and I can't comfortably conceal my PF-9 as a BUG AND carry my spare. While I do understand I could simply get a magazine holder and solve this problem, I don't want to add even more weight to my belt.

Ultimately, my question is, when carrying my EDC (Glock 23), in your opinion, should I carry my spare magazine (giving me +13 more rounds of .40S&W) or a BUG giving me +8 rounds of 9mm? At a glance I'd say a spare magazine, however having a second concealed BUG also seems enticing. What say you?

maustin195

I vote for the BUG. If you had a failure with your primary you have the backup. If you have a spare mag and have a failure you have a spare mag you can't use.

malignity

That's what I was thinking too.

The only negative that I can blatantly see is that if I get stopped for OC, I'm, by law, required to automatically disclose and produce ID. I like my ID, I don't like it being fondled. :(

Bronson

Why does the BUG have to be concealed? You could just get a left handed holster or if you wanted to get fancy you could have a LH holster made for the PF-9 + spare mag for the Glock. You could also carry the BUG in a different location like the ankle.

Personally I usually carry either a BUG or a spare mag for the primary.

Bronson