• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updating CPL in Redmond

Jayd1981

It was my understanding that there is no need to update your CPL when moving. The only time I've had my CPL updated was when I renewed it and they said nothing about the address change.

Tawnos

Indeed, no need to update CPL when you move. Just wait for it to expire, and renew when it's time.

Jayd1981

That is just the application, not the license. Without something specifically stating the license must bear a CURRENT address, I wouldn't think you need to update it. Just like your license does not expire if you move and don't update the address (given your entire move is within WA).

Jayd1981

amlevin

This discussion raises a question in my mind, what if I didn't have an address, what do I put on Licenses? HMMMMM.

I thought about this too. I've often wondered what would happen if you wanted to buy an RV. To register it, you need an address. What if you planned on driving everywhere with it and never stopping in any one place long enough to be considered your address? Same thing with a vehicle of any sort, as you said. It does seem problematic.

Post Office Boxes work. There are lots of people that are "Full Timers" in their RV's and just use PO box for mail. If the Post Office gives you any hassle about not having a "real address" just use one of the "No Tell" mailbox companies. I used one for a business address for over 15 years. Gave me more privacy at my home too.

Of course you could just give them the address of the nearest "Tent City" in King County.

sudden valley gunner

Post Office Boxes work. There are lots of people that are "Full Timers" in their RV's and just use PO box for mail. If the Post Office gives you any hassle about not having a "real address" just use one of the "No Tell" mailbox companies. I used one for a business address for over 15 years. Gave me more privacy at my home too.

Of course you could just give them the address of the nearest "Tent City" in King County.

I was told it couldn't be a post office, but of course I didn't check if this was true or not.

I almost gave up (lost) my house and was thinking about the RV thing for awhile.

I really don't even hardly check the P.O. Box either, I just don't like getting mail, it's never good news........:lol:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Even though the proof has been cited, I'd just like to add that I tried to update my CPL's address and the woman at the desk let me know that it wasn't needed as long as the DMV had my current address on file.

amlevin

I was told it couldn't be a post office, but of course I didn't check if this was true or not.

I almost gave up (lost) my house and was thinking about the RV thing for awhile.

I really don't even hardly check the P.O. Box either, I just don't like getting mail, it's never good news........:lol:

When you use one of the "Private PO Boxes (not post office) they give you a real Street Address and then in order to route your mail to the right box in their facility you just add terms like "Suite No. xx or Unit Number xx". As far as the "drones" in the DOL offices are concerned you have a "real" address. As I stated earlier, it worked fine for over 15 years. I have a son who's doing the same and know of dozens of RV'ers that have done it for years.

The only bad side to this is if you forget to give a change of address to all those that send you bills. These private facilities are not allowed to forward your mail after you quit using them. Any bills that come after you close the service will just be tossed in the waste basket. This can cause you to not know about an odd bill or two and after a few months of it not being paid, end up with it in collection.

PS: don't do this for any address that you need for a license like an FFL. They will actually show up to "inspect" your "place of business". Won't work if you are using "Mailboxes Aren't Us" or the like.

Last edited:

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
As others have shown, updating address on CPL is not required. Yes there is a requirement to update address for drivers license. A quick check didn't turn up a penalty, but it could be buried somewhere as part of some administrative fee or civil fine.

Need to be aware that when you buy a gun and fill out the forms you have to produce ID that shows your current address. If it shows an old address, no get gun :cry:

And by the way, there is no "DMV" in Washington. It is DOL, and yes, they DO have something to do with CPL. While PD does the issuing, it is the DOL that does the recording and record keeping.

acmariner99

Question

Its looking like i will be moving back to Washington on a possibly permanent basis. I have an out of state DL and a WA CPL with the out of state DL listed on it. When I get a Washington DL and therefore lose the Arizona DL :( do I also lose my CPL until I get an updated one? Since the DL and WA address on the CPL would both be invalid, I am skeptical on its validity.