Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: McDonnell (could) punish VCU for campus gun ban

  1. #1
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    McDonnell (could) punish VCU for campus gun ban

    Um, well, could he?

    McDonnell punishes VCU for gun ban tuition hike

    Gov. Bob McDonnell said today that he has withheld state money equal to half of Virginia Commonwealth University's 24 percent tuition increase as a message to colleges and universities about rising tuition rates.

    McDonnell said tuitions for Virginia students have doubled in the last 10 years and said "that is unacceptable."

    McDonnell today proposed a number of budget amendments in remarks to the General Assembly's money committees. The room was lined with lobbyists.

    "What I have done is only appropriate half of the tuition increase money and have reserved the rest of the money and depending on what happens with the Board of Visitors' decision on tuition increases this year, perhaps we can release the rest of the money next year," he said.
    I very much like the idea of giving these Virginia TAXpayer-supported colleges and universities an ultimatum:

    Allow open and concealed carry of weapons, legal elsewhere in the Commonwealth, on all campuses --

    OR ELSE


    Will the republicans ever stand up to the hoplophobic colleges and defend gun owners, or not?

    Man up.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Deceptive thread title! Deceptive thread title!

    But, a wonderful idea in the thread!

  3. #3
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Yeah, the schools are sort of in a Catch-22.

    Of all the cost to run a school, only a certain portion comes from tuition. Then the State cuts those other non-tuition sources of income, and then wants to punish the school for raising the tuition to make up for the shortfall?

    That doesn't make any sense.

    TFred

    ETA: But I would certainly support conditional funding for Carry on Campus... that is a great idea! That's what the Feds do with highway money to the states. States hate it, but they do the Feds bidding...
    Last edited by TFred; 12-17-2010 at 07:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688
    I'd be interested to see how many administrative jobs have been added in the last decade and how those costs have risen. I see no reason why the costs of college have gotten out of control like they are.

    Then again, as the price of a government program increases, the quality decreases.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Yeah, the schools are sort of in a Catch-22.

    Of all the cost to run a school, only a certain portion comes from tuition. Then the State cuts those other non-tuition sources of income, and then wants to punish the school for raising the tuition to make up for the shortfall?

    That doesn't make any sense.

    TFred

    ETA: But I would certainly support conditional funding for Carry on Campus... that is a great idea! That's what the Feds do with highway money to the states. States hate it, but they do the Feds bidding...
    Yes, the FEDS. They already set a precedent. SCOTUS upheld it. Yes, the General Assembly should step up and do it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    We provide ... 'Leverage'

    Maybe VCDL and interested Virginia gun owners can apply some leverage to get the campus carry ban policy repealed.

    See here:

    McDonnell vs. VCU

    But his shot across the bow at VCU has some Democratic legislators questioning whether the governor is trying to be a partner or punisher of state colleges. VCU President Michael Rao said McDonnell’s maneuver, if approved by the General Assembly, “directly affects VCU’s ability to continue providing a quality education and ensure that students graduate on time.”
    Read Rao's full statement, which concludes with this:

    VCU’s mission as a leading research university must be sustained, and we will work tirelessly with the Governor’s team and General Assembly members during the session to resolve this budget issue in the best interests of our students, their families and the future of the Commonwealth.
    Gun owners could say to the General Assembly members -- in an Election Year -- do NOT give VCU what it wants UNLESS VCU agrees to repeal the campus gun ban.

    Fair is fair.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Gun owners could say to the General Assembly members -- in an Election Year -- do NOT give VCU what it wants UNLESS VCU agrees to repeal the campus gun ban.
    I like it.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806
    Hey, if they do that, I might consider going there when my VCCS tour is up.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by AbNo View Post
    Hey, if they do that, I might consider going there when my VCCS tour is up.
    Imagine if dozens of Virginia gun owners testified before the various budget committees, to comment on this very subject.

    Now, if a committee member asked why you would want to carry on campus, your reply could be:

    Because 1911 > 911.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Postcard Sent!

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    nice

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Yeah, the schools are sort of in a Catch-22.

    Of all the cost to run a school, only a certain portion comes from tuition. Then the State cuts those other non-tuition sources of income, and then wants to punish the school for raising the tuition to make up for the shortfall?

    That doesn't make any sense.

    TFred

    ETA: But I would certainly support conditional funding for Carry on Campus... that is a great idea! That's what the Feds do with highway money to the states. States hate it, but they do the Feds bidding...
    While I think that withholding funds until these guys get in line with the Constitution is a good idea, I'm not certain that there is a genuine shortfall.

    Studies have shown that tuition hikes are generally not cost-driven...they go up in proportion to the available government funding, as do wages there. When the government increases the level of tuition support, schools raise their prices and salaries to capture those additional funds.

    But state-funded institutions deciding which rights they like and don't like is unacceptable, regardless.
    Last edited by Glock27Bill; 12-21-2010 at 07:05 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Imagine if dozens of Virginia gun owners testified before the various budget committees, to comment on this very subject.

    Now, if a committee member asked why you would want to carry on campus, your reply could be:

    Because 1911 > 911.
    Thank you, I happen to like my sig because it's thematically, mathematically, and realistically correct.

    I've been working on a more concise way of saying that calling 911 is essentially ordering for a gun delivery to your house.

    Edit: With no 30 minute guarantee, no less!
    Last edited by AbNo; 12-21-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  14. #14
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by AbNo View Post
    Thank you, I happen to like my sig because it's thematically, mathematically, and realistically correct.

    I've been working on a more concise way of saying that calling 911 is essentially ordering for a gun delivery to your house.

    Edit: With no 30 minute guarantee, no less!
    Sounds like you need a tie to DiGiorno in there somewhere....

    TFred

  15. #15
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Thumbs up Ed: Worth the load time!

    Ed,

    What a great full-color postcard! I'm leaving the reply out because of the load time.

    Yes, I sat there and watched it load -- beautiful photo, great caption, and spot-on text.

    I do think this is your best creation yet.

    Please continue the great work.

    P.S. Thank you Mr. Administrator for removing Cap-Crap! Now, can you also remove VCU's crappy policy?

  16. #16
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Michael Paul Williams opines: Bob is a bully

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    While I think that withholding funds until these guys get in line with the Constitution is a good idea, I'm not certain that there is a genuine shortfall.

    But state-funded institutions deciding which rights they like and don't like is unacceptable, regardless.
    VCU singled out unfairly on tuition increase

    No one feels much cheer over Virginia Commonwealth University's whopping tuition increase. But Gov. Bob McDonnell aced Bullying 101 with his singularly harsh response.

    McDonnell is withholding state money equal to half of VCU's 24 percent increase. That takes some gall, since the state's shortchanging of higher education helped land VCU and other colleges in a bind in the first place.

    McDonnell, however, brought the hammer down, singling VCU out for punitive action.

    It's hard to imagine McDonnell kicking sand in the face of former VCU President Eugene Trani.
    See why it's hard to stand up to Universities? I wonder if Bob-for-Jobs will back down?

    Meanwhile, VCU "kicks sand" in the faces of gun owners.

    Who will stand up for Virginia gun owners?

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Ed,

    What a great full-color postcard! I'm leaving the reply out because of the load time.

    Yes, I sat there and watched it load -- beautiful photo, great caption, and spot-on text.

    I do think this is your best creation yet.

    Please continue the great work.
    awww shucks.. thanks.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •