• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDonnell (could) punish VCU for campus gun ban

Repeater

Um, well, could he?

McDonnell punishes VCU for [strike]gun ban[/strike] tuition hike

Gov. Bob McDonnell said today that he has withheld state money equal to half of Virginia Commonwealth University's 24 percent tuition increase as a message to colleges and universities about rising tuition rates.

McDonnell said tuitions for Virginia students have doubled in the last 10 years and said "that is unacceptable."

McDonnell today proposed a number of budget amendments in remarks to the General Assembly's money committees. The room was lined with lobbyists.

"What I have done is only appropriate half of the tuition increase money and have reserved the rest of the money and depending on what happens with the Board of Visitors' decision on tuition increases this year, perhaps we can release the rest of the money next year," he said.

I very much like the idea of giving these Virginia TAXpayer-supported colleges and universities an ultimatum:

Allow open and concealed carry of weapons, legal elsewhere in the Commonwealth, on all campuses --

[size=+2]
OR ELSE​
[/size]

Will the republicans ever stand up to the hoplophobic colleges and defend gun owners, or not?

Man up.

TFred

Yeah, the schools are sort of in a Catch-22.

Of all the cost to run a school, only a certain portion comes from tuition. Then the State cuts those other non-tuition sources of income, and then wants to punish the school for raising the tuition to make up for the shortfall?

That doesn't make any sense.

TFred

ETA: But I would certainly support conditional funding for Carry on Campus... that is a great idea! That's what the Feds do with highway money to the states. States hate it, but they do the Feds bidding...

Last edited:

hsmith

I'd be interested to see how many administrative jobs have been added in the last decade and how those costs have risen. I see no reason why the costs of college have gotten out of control like they are.

Then again, as the price of a government program increases, the quality decreases.

Repeater

Of all the cost to run a school, only a certain portion comes from tuition. Then the State cuts those other non-tuition sources of income, and then wants to punish the school for raising the tuition to make up for the shortfall?

TFred

ETA: But I would certainly support conditional funding for Carry on Campus... that is a great idea! That's what the Feds do with highway money to the states. States hate it, but they do the Feds bidding...

Yes, the FEDS. They already set a precedent. SCOTUS upheld it. Yes, the General Assembly should step up and do it.

Repeater

We provide ... 'Leverage'

Maybe VCDL and interested Virginia gun owners can apply some leverage to get the campus carry ban policy repealed.

See here:

McDonnell vs. VCU

But his shot across the bow at VCU has some Democratic legislators questioning whether the governor is trying to be a partner or punisher of state colleges. VCU President Michael Rao said McDonnell’s maneuver, if approved by the General Assembly, “directly affects VCU’s ability to continue providing a quality education and ensure that students graduate on time.”

Read Rao's full statement, which concludes with this:

VCU’s mission as a leading research university must be sustained, and we will work tirelessly with the Governor’s team and General Assembly members during the session to resolve this budget issue in the best interests of our students, their families and the future of the Commonwealth.

Gun owners could say to the General Assembly members -- in an Election Year -- do NOT give VCU what it wants UNLESS VCU agrees to repeal the campus gun ban.

Fair is fair.

Repeater

Hey, if they do that, I might consider going there when my VCCS tour is up.

Imagine if dozens of Virginia gun owners testified before the various budget committees, to comment on this very subject.

Now, if a committee member asked why you would want to carry on campus, your reply could be:

[size=+2] Because 1911 > 911.[/size]

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Postcard Sent!

vcu.jpg

Glock27Bill

TFred

While I think that withholding funds until these guys get in line with the Constitution is a good idea, I'm not certain that there is a genuine shortfall.

Studies have shown that tuition hikes are generally not cost-driven...they go up in proportion to the available government funding, as do wages there. When the government increases the level of tuition support, schools raise their prices and salaries to capture those additional funds.

But state-funded institutions deciding which rights they like and don't like is unacceptable, regardless.

Last edited:

AbNo

Imagine if dozens of Virginia gun owners testified before the various budget committees, to comment on this very subject.

Now, if a committee member asked why you would want to carry on campus, your reply could be:

[SIZE=+2] Because 1911 > 911.[/SIZE]

Thank you, I happen to like my sig because it's thematically, mathematically, and realistically correct. :D

I've been working on a more concise way of saying that calling 911 is essentially ordering for a gun delivery to your house.

Edit: With no 30 minute guarantee, no less!

Last edited:

TFred

Thank you, I happen to like my sig because it's thematically, mathematically, and realistically correct. :D

I've been working on a more concise way of saying that calling 911 is essentially ordering for a gun delivery to your house.

Edit: With no 30 minute guarantee, no less!
Sounds like you need a tie to DiGiorno in there somewhere....

TFred

Repeater

Ed: Worth the load time!

Ed,

What a great full-color postcard! I'm leaving the reply out because of the load time.

Yes, I sat there and watched it load -- beautiful photo, great caption, and spot-on text.

I do think this is your best creation yet.

Please continue the great work.

P.S. Thank you Mr. Administrator for removing Cap-Crap! Now, can you also remove VCU's crappy policy?

Repeater

Michael Paul Williams opines: Bob is a bully

While I think that withholding funds until these guys get in line with the Constitution is a good idea, I'm not certain that there is a genuine shortfall.

But state-funded institutions deciding which rights they like and don't like is unacceptable, regardless.

VCU singled out unfairly on tuition increase

No one feels much cheer over Virginia Commonwealth University's whopping tuition increase. But Gov. Bob McDonnell aced Bullying 101 with his singularly harsh response.

McDonnell is withholding state money equal to half of VCU's 24 percent increase. That takes some gall, since the state's shortchanging of higher education helped land VCU and other colleges in a bind in the first place.

McDonnell, however, brought the hammer down, singling VCU out for punitive action.

It's hard to imagine McDonnell kicking sand in the face of former VCU President Eugene Trani.

See why it's hard to stand up to Universities? I wonder if Bob-for-Jobs will back down?

Meanwhile, VCU "kicks sand" in the faces of gun owners.

Who will stand up for Virginia gun owners?