• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Royal Oak Needs Help Understanding MI Firearm Preemption Law...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDinDetroit

Alright class! Let's see if we can help Royal Oak out in understanding MI Firearm Preemption Law before we have to make them stand in the corner... AGAIN! :lol:

Royal Oak is FINALLY getting around to changing their Civil Emergencies Ordinance to be in line with the MI Firearm Preemption Law. It appears that they are having trouble and need YOUR special assistance.

Let's start with a little remedial reference learning:
MI Firearm Preemption Law said:
123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2. A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

OK, should be simple enough! Wait a second, maybe not!

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta...meetings/City Commission/2010/1220-348-10.pdf

OK class, post where they gone off the tracks and/or missed the boat (unless this is allowed by MI State or Federal Law). Be sure to show your work. Extra credit awarded to anyone who can provide better wording for this ordinance change!

BTW - someone may need to be there on 12/20/2010 while OC'ing to help them out!

JoeSparky

Centurion
I stopped reading just after they quote the law saying they CAN'T and then they say that they will just won't seize the weapons.... BUT DOES THAT MEAN THEY WILL CITE FOR A VIOLATION? BUT NOT SEIZE? But only if it is declared an emergency!

PDinDetroit

I stopped reading just after they quote the law saying they CAN'T and then they say that they will just won't seize the weapons.... BUT DOES THAT MEAN THEY WILL CITE FOR A VIOLATION? BUT NOT SEIZE? But only if it is declared an emergency!

Orders 7 & 8 should have been changed as well, illegal due to MI Firearm Preemption Law (MCL 123.1102). The "do not seize" change matches what is in the MI State Law for EMERGENCY POWERS OF GOVERNOR.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-10-31

Bronson

Why is it so hard for them to understand that they have zero authority when it comes to regulating firearms or ammunition in any way.

Unless of course they are enforcing state law.

Bronson

Master Control

Alright class! Let's see if we can help Royal Oak out in understanding MI Firearm Preemption Law before we have to make them stand in the corner... AGAIN! :lol:

Royal Oak is FINALLY getting around to changing their Civil Emergencies Ordinance to be in line with the MI Firearm Preemption Law. It appears that they are having trouble and need YOUR special assistance.

Let's start with a little remedial reference learning:

OK, should be simple enough! Wait a second, maybe not!

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta...meetings/City Commission/2010/1220-348-10.pdf

OK class, post where they gone off the tracks and/or missed the boat (unless this is allowed by MI State or Federal Law). Be sure to show your work. Extra credit awarded to anyone who can provide better wording for this ordinance change!

BTW - someone may need to be there on 12/20/2010 while OC'ing to help them out!

Master Control will be doing "Taylor" the 20th & 21st, but pm me your phone number just in case I can make both. :dude:

eastmeyers

What time, and where is it on Monday? I assume it's in City hall, so NON-CPL OC is acceptable.

It is the first building immediately south of the Library, they share a parking lot. So if you head east on 11mile past Main St, it is your first right. If you are headed west, you can turn left on Troy st (light before Main), then make the next right, then the next right again.

And you can OC with or without a CPL. If you don't have a CPL PLEASE just make sure you know the laws and don't carry in a vehicle.

onestar 50

State Emergency

When I wrote my congressmen in Lansing about fire arms and state of emergency in michigan He told me there was a law that was pass and sign that under emergency that all register fire arms cannot be take under emergency.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
When I wrote my congressmen in Lansing about fire arms and state of emergency in michigan He told me there was a law that was pass and sign that under emergency that all register fire arms cannot be take under emergency.

Congressmen? They have nothing to do with state law - focus on contacting the rep of your city or state re city or state laws, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.